Home | About | Donate

After Hearing Accounts of Sexual Violence, UN Official to Bring Rohingya Case to ICC

After Hearing Accounts of Sexual Violence, UN Official to Bring Rohingya Case to ICC

Common Dreams staff

Survivors who fled Myanmar told UN representative Pramila Patten about their experiences with "gang-rape by multiple soldiers, forced public nudity and humiliation, and sexual slavery in military captivity"

Rohingya mother

I’ve read things about about Rohingya themselves leaving the country, obtaining arms, and being sent back to terrorize their own people. It made me think of the same tactic used by “the lord’s resistance army” in Uganda. And that also, at a less severe level, seems a general tactic/mechanism being used when right wingers suddenly pop up…divide the population. I can’t vouch for the sources at all; they were unfamilar to me. Things are just getting coincedental at times it seems though. The 43 students didn’t disappear in Mexico all that long ago, and that episode ultimately seemed a matter of removing folks who might, say, speak out re their displeasure with fracking rigs being set up nearby. That school had a tradition of activism. I believe in the past Rohingya people got a little violent themselves; I’m aware of that. But the recent measures of the Myanmar gov seem way out of proportion in terms of the little that’s gone down in terms of the latter.

They control no oil or other resources, of course very few give a damn because of this and that they are not of European extraction

[quote=“beantime, post:2, topic:46707”]
But the recent measures of the Myanmar gov seem way out of proportion in terms of the little that’s gone down in terms of the latter.
[/quote] The Myanmar government should not be attacking and committing genocide against the Rohingya at all! There is no such thing as proportionality when it comes to ethnic cleansing, sexual violence, murder, and destruction of villages, people’s homes, etc. If the Rohingya have acted violently in retribution against the much more powerful Myanmar government and military, then the government should stop mistreating the Rohingya and giving them reasons to fight for their rights.

Well said.

And they’re in the way of extracting oil, right? If you start Googling or Ducking, you’ll see business sites were talking a couple or a few yrs back about corporations breaking their necks to get in the place. Course, the
oil-blocs’ll be competing, but neither block’ll want settlements in their way. If they can eliminate the faintest hint of folks with a gripe, wouldn’t the Myanmar gov be glad 1)they’d be gone, and 2)business could begin sooner? I’m not familar with any of the sources that claim other entities are sending in armed elements to clear the place (besides Myanmar gov troops), so I won’t link’em. Easy to imagine, though, we’d never hear about it.