Home | About | Donate

After Leaked DNC Emails, Superdelegate Vote Key Test of Party Unity

After Leaked DNC Emails, Superdelegate Vote Key Test of Party Unity

Jon Queally, staff writer

Democratic delegates for Bernie Sanders and other concerned citizens protested outside the closed doors of a Democratic National Convention's Rules Committee meeting in Philadelphia on Saturday as they rallied in favor of party reforms, including a demand superdelegates be abolished from the primary process.

The Real News Network captured some of the scene and spoke to several delegates concerned about the process in this short segment:

Let's not hold our breath waiting for the DNC to get rid of Superdelegates. Fat chance!

It's all about winning regardless of how and by what means. What democracy? You poor suckers dream on! The elites began digging your graves starting way back in the 1960's, they have been rapidly reinforcing their positions at taxpayer's expense ever since with enormous surveillance apparatus complete with a brutal militarized police force, a rigged and corrupt justice system, a bought and corrupt congress, thousands of mini nukes and an bloated military threatening world peace and the environment. The only option left for the 99% is direct action, civil disobedience in a sustained, persistent large scale across the country and around the world.

The reaction to the leaked emails is as shocking as the stolen election its self.
Why is the no one calling for a halt to the DNC convention and a full investigation into the corruption?
Some are calling for Wasserman-Shultz to be fired. Like that will solve the problem.
My God we are in deep shit when a stolen election with tons of proof goes on like business as usual.
Meanwhile, Trump is so bad.
If no one stands up for the voters, 13 million voters, they can expect a mass exodus from the Democratic party and they deserve it.
We need a new government and it won't come from inside a corrupted party.
Jill Stein will have my vote and donations.

The writer must have a bitter sense of humor: "a key test of party unity."

ANSWER, I mean, easy answer!!!!!

Hold firm to anti-democratic primary process.

Next.

"superdelegates—comprised of former and current elected party leaders.."

"On July 25, these superdelegates will cast votes at the Democratic National Convention for whomever they want, regardless of primary and caucus outcomes. Democrats like to describe superdelegates as mostly elected officials and prominent party members, including President Obama and former Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter.

But this group, which consists of 21 governors, 40 senators and 193 representatives, only makes up about a third of the superdelegates. Many of the remaining 463 convention delegates are establishment insiders who get their status after years of donations and service to the party. Dozens of the 437 delegates in the DNC member category are registered federal and state lobbyists, according to an ABC News analysis."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/reason-dozens-lobbyists-democratic-presidential-delegates/story?id=37289507

These headlines imply that this is a huge surprise. What a absolute joke. Folks this party does not care about any of Bernie's recommendations! Their only interest is continuing control over the agenda and sucking as much corporate money into their coffers as possible. It is time to take action by registering with the Green Party, donating to them and volunteering to help if at all possible. Getting them above the 15% polling mark is critically essential to force positive change and to oppose both corporate owned parties. The time is now. What is the weather like at your home? We are roasting here, WV, with horrendous floods just in the last couple of weeks. Together we can make an impact, but it takes actions from all of us. Please consider helping in any way possible.

Clearly it is time for "progressives" wedded to the Democratic Party to get a divorce.

Or that it is even democratic!

The most amazing thing to me is that the ongoing brazen behavior that takes place in both the Democratic and Republican parties is revealed and continues unabated with no real consequences for the offending parties....and just as disturbingly, there is not much more than "meh" in response from the collective citizenry.
Corruption in the DNC is not news, the question to me is, what is going to be done about it? What can I/we do about it? I don't know- though I was inspired by by Sanders efforts the Democratic Party as a hole (sic) has been dead to me for many years. I would LOVE to see some real real reform in the party, but frankly, at this point I think it is time to move on. We are in for interesting times.

The Democratic (sic) Party deserves to go down in flames in November.

(I am voting for Jill Stein.)

The impression I keep getting has this plays out is this:
The DNC leadership is laughing at this moment! Laughing right in the face of the Bernie Sanders supporters and have been all along! Get it people?
They just look at you as a bunch of tin foil hat wearing, conspiracy theorists, nut jobs.
Democracy in real practice, you must be joking?
Now, go back home, and sit on your couches, and let the grown- ups run the show.

Little Debbie is on her knees for her masters and no doubt hopes for a plum position in a hoped-for Clinton admn.
Progressives and all who seek an honesty now absent from American politics, including hopefully Bernie Sanders, will by now have abandoned any absurd notions of a "kinder and gentler" Dem Party shifting toward support for progressive issues - the question now is how to make our fury and contempt shown and meaningful - how do we register our discontent and smash/destroy the power? I hope sanders has something up his sleeve for the Dem establishment and Red queen, but that seems a pipe dream......

http://www.jill2016.com/press_releases - new Jill Stein press releases.

I don't disagree with what you have written. But I think it is also time to either form another party or go to the Green Party. The Democrat Party is a joke. It's as foul and conniving as the GOP. The Democratic Party basically said FU to the progressives so it's time we said FU to the Democrat Party. Damn! If only Bernie would run with Jill Stein and leave the two worthless candidates for the Republicans and Democrats to die a much deserved death due to a terminal case of disinterest.

Well one thing is correct: Super delegates are the only thing holding this bunch (DNC Lunatics) together and they damn well know it. Without them the neo-liberal establishment Dems would crumble like a cookie left out in a rain storm.

If a proposal to abolish superdelegates is lunacy, then allowing voters to determine the nominee is lunacy, hence democracy as a whole is lunacy.

Not only is the party name the most Orwellian irony of the past decade, but this declaration should convince people that the DNC would never allow the nomination of someone like Sanders.

If the voting wasn't rigged, if he won every state with 80 percent of the votes, they'd come up with a provision to double the number of superdelegates. When "democracy" doesn't work in their favor, they'll just change the definition so it does.

Rant on. I could not agree with you more!!!!!

Bernie.... Say you have had enough of the Democratic Party and will run with Jill Stein. We are screwed with Trump or Clinton. The majority of those who say they will vote for Clinton are really voting against Trump. The majority of those voting for Trump are voting against Clinton.
Sanders and Stein.... give us someone to vote for., not against.

Bernie did not throw away his honor, good name, or life's work. He spent 15 months working his heart out to wake up and educate the American people. If the primary process had not been rigged, Bernie would now be the Democratic nominee. He endorsed Hillary in order to get a speaking slot at the Democratic Convention and to buy time while the Hillary campaign and the DNC were fully revealed for what they are: liars, cheaters, and traitors.

Thanks to Bernie, there just may be enough of us now who realize that the Democratic Party is too corrupt for reform from within. Many of us were starting to buy into the idea of joining our local Democratic Party clubs and working up from the bottom for reform. And now, in an amazing self-goal, the Democratic Party has shown us very clearly that there is NO CHANCE of any change in their party. They will keep their superdelegate system of assigning 20% of the vote for the presidential nomination to party insiders. Which we will never be, no matter how many fish fries or spaghetti feeds or forums we hold for the Democrats.

It is THEIR party; the Clintons stole it (though not fair and square), and they own it. Now we will move on. It feels so good to be leaving this abusive relationship, and to realize that it was not us, it was them, after all! I just sent my first $27 to Jill Stein, and it felt GREAT!

DemExit #StillSanders #NeverHillary #JillNotHill