Home | About | Donate

After Sexist Attack by GOP Colleague, AOC Says on House Floor That Her Parents 'Did Not Raise Me to Accept Abuse From Men'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/23/after-sexist-attack-gop-colleague-aoc-says-house-floor-her-parents-did-not-raise-me

11 Likes

Following Ocasio-Cortez’s speech, Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.) thanked the New York Democrat for showing such “grace” and “dignity” in response to the vile abuse hurled at her by Yoho and other Republican lawmakers.

Love you AOC. A beautiful lady of grace and intelligence. The way you responded to Yoho…PROVES IT!

33 Likes

This is a shrewd move. It may only nudge a few people, and it certainly won’t nudge Yoho but it puts him that much more on the defensive. Regardless of a poster here claiming that women put up with this stuff, I guarantee conservative woman don’t like being called gender specific profanity names either. I try to remind a few pepile here who go there when calling out some very bad female politicians and I don’t have a problem at all with profanity (and I use it often in posts myself), but it really isn’t hard to substitute non-gender specific terms when you want to call someone an asshole.

18 Likes

Intelligent men are cruel. Stupid men are monstrously cruel.

Jack London

Credit to our own Evolver here on CD for this one!

11 Likes

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!

7 Likes

In some cultures being called a “bitch” is considered female validation. If you don’t like it then yes you should object to it. I’m not sure guilt tripping everyone is the best way.

The issue is name calling, the solution is usually an apology, but I guess a national debate is good too.

Yoho, who called Ocasio-Cortez “disgusting” and a “fucking bitch” on the steps of the Capitol Monday, said he “cannot apologize for my passion.”

Mr. Yoho is a disgusting fucking bitch. I wrote it and I’m not sorry.

I can’t apologize for my passion.

17 Likes

Yes, AOC has made Yoho look like a misogynist who is a complete Republican ( like most of his fascist, colleagues ) idiot.

10 Likes

FWIW, petition at MoveOn calling for House censure of Yoho:
~https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/tell-congress-censure-rep-ted-yoho-now

5 Likes

AND THESE ARE THE WOMEN WHO SHOULD BE LEADING OUR CONGRESS
AND OUR NATION —

AOC COULD DO IT VERY COMFORTABLY FROM THE WHITE HOUSE – SOON!!!

In a fiery speech on the House floor Thursday, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez condemned Republican Rep. Ted Yoho’s sexist attack on her in front of the U.S. Capitol Building earlier this week as the product of a culture and “entire power structure” that excuses and enables dehumanizing abuse of women.

"I am here because I have to show my parents that I am their daughter, and that they did not raise me to accept abuse from men."
—Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"This issue is not about one incident," said the New York Democrat. "It is cultural. It is a culture of… impunity, of accepting violence and violent language against women."

and –

Ocasio-Cortez tore into Yoho for invoking his wife and two daughters “as shields and excuses for poor behavior” in his floor speech addressing the incident Wednesday. Yoho, who called Ocasio-Cortez “disgusting” and a “fucking bitch” on the steps of the Capitol Monday, said he "cannot apologize for my passion."

The New York Democrat said Yoho’s remarks show he has “no remorse” for using abusive language against a fellow human being and member of Congress.

"I am two years younger than Mr. Yoho’s youngest daughter," said Ocasio-Cortez. "I am someone’s daughter, too. My father, thankfully, is not alive to see how Mr. Yoho treated his daughter… I am here because I have to show my parents that I am their daughter, and that they did not raise me to accept abuse from men."

Would STRONGLY recommend Pramila Payapal’s speech at the LINK –

Only 79 women of color in the Congress – obviously too many for the enslavers.

CHEERS TO THESE WOMEN OF THE CONGRESS –

WHERE’S PELOSI AND THE REST OF THE WOMEN?

# GOP Congressman Yoho Overheard Calling Ocasio-Cortez 'Fking B*tch’ After Accosting Her on Capitol Steps**

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was verbally accosted—including being called a “fucking bitch”—by Republican colleague Rep. Ted Yoho Monday afternoon on the steps of the U.S. Capitol Building over her remarks earlier this month tying a rise in New York City crime to increased levels of poverty and housing insecurity in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.

"That kind of confrontation hasn’t ever happened to me—ever," Ocasio-Cortez told The Hill 's Mike Illis—who reported that the exchange was witnessed by a journalist—shortly after the encounter. "I’ve never had that kind of abrupt, disgusting kind of disrespect levied at me."

10 Likes

I’d be proud to call AOC my daughter. She is a terrific role model for America.

16 Likes

There should have been a long line of women in Congress waiting to speak
their minds to the world about this attack on AOC –

Women who are Dems and Repugs –

In fact, where is PELOSI? AWOL as usual.

AOL on Medicare4All – AOL on ERA – AOL on New Green Deal –

But always there for Elites/Patriarchy/wealthy/corporations – and the destruction of our planet.

19 Likes

Mr. Yoho needs to be taught a lesson and I am sure if your father were still alive he would rip Mr. Yoho a new one!

6 Likes

this woman is so far and above the rest of the so called dems - speaks her mind which is brilliant and comes out as the wondrous warrior she is on behalf of us all no matter what the issue. Bless you AOC!

20 Likes

I’d be in jail right now if she was my daughter .
As stunning and beautiful as her speech was , yo-yo will blow it off in a few days and continue his bullying .
However a life altering epic arse kicking would not be forgotten so easily .
Yeah, its crude but a crude and aggressive act on a woman , deserves a crude response .

6 Likes

Yes! This is an absolutely wonderful article to see featured prominently here and hopefully elsewhere.

Let’s hope men speak up and match words with actions as well to take responsibility for the “entire power structure” that excuses and enables dehumanizing abuse of women"-----in addition to any objectification of living beings.

Robert Jensen has been a lone voice throughout the decades speaking to this.
h-ttps://goodmenproject.com/ethics-values/masculinity-toxic-healthy-or-human-mkdn/

12 Likes

In the fiery defiant spirit of Eleanor Roosevelt and Shirley Chisholm , and the BEST that exemplifies the DEMOCRATIC PARTY!
The fact that AOC is a DEMOCRAT proves that the two parties are very DIFFERENT. No more shills and trolls here equating the two as if they were one.
God bless Alexandria Ocasio Cortez!

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I almost clicked it.

Unfortunately, by signing the petition you agree to receive MoveOn emails. You can unsubscribe later, but MoveOn makes no promise to protect your email address.

Below the sign button they write:

Note: By signing, you agree to receive email messages from MoveOn Civic Action and MoveOn Political Action. You may unsubscribe at any time. See Privacy Policy

(Privacy policy links to ~https://sign.moveon.org/tos : Tilde ‘~’ added.)

The so-called “Privacy Policy” is nothing of the sort. It doesn’t say anything about how they will limit the use of your information.

4 Likes

January 6 2020: Alexandria Ocasio Cortez:

“In any other country, Joe Biden and I would not be in the same party.”

8 Likes

I do wholeheartedly agree with you (despite my own cowardly transgressions my weakness does sometimes allow).
As to name calling, I feel we need to henceforth refer to Mr. Yoho as Mr. Yahu. Can’t someone create a Twitter hashtag or something to this end?

4 Likes