Home | About | Donate

After Sexist Attack by GOP Colleague, AOC Says on House Floor That Her Parents 'Did Not Raise Me to Accept Abuse From Men'

Your passion is understandable…expletives and all.

6 Likes

Sirios –

We have many campaigns and organizations happening right now with constant
solicitation for all of them going on by notables e-mailing to us –

Where is the campaign for the ERA – Where’s Pelosi – Where’s the DP?

THE SQUAD should begin soliciting for an ERA campaign – $5 from every woman in US.

1 Like

AOC’s response, as always, was terrific and put things in the broader context. I think her work as a bartender, where responding to drunken idiots is commonplace, was great training for working with her “colleagues from across the aisle.”

20 Likes

I agree the ERA is important legislation, I think there are more emergent needs that should be met in terms of equality. All the important legislative decisions being made should include these principles, along with environmental justice.

fern –

What I am saying is that we are raising money for tons of organizations –
every message that comes into my inbox asks for money for candidates –
and we’re supporting as many LIBERALS as we can and will continue to -

There are tons of new organizations as well – we donating for animals because
imo that is a strong link to the violence in this nation – we’re donating to Jane
Goodall because she knows it’s not just about Gorillas – she’s sees the link of
viruses to destruction of animal-habitat –

We’re donating to BLM’s when I can find their address – to the NAACP to ACLU,
to new organizations supporting AA’s and POC – We’re donating to Science –
because that is so important to strengthen – We’re donating to environmental
organizations – Food Banks – and hopefully to upcoming trips to protest in W/DC.

BASICALLY, NO – I DON’T THINK THE ERA SHOULD WAIT ANY LONGER –
IT’S WAITED HOW LONG NOW – 50 YEARS SINCE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
AND MORMAN CHURCH BEGAN FIGHTING IT WITH TAX-EXEMPT DOLLARS.

AND KEEP IN MIND, WHEN YOU ENDOW WOMEN OFFICIALLY WITH EQUALITY –
THEY ARE WOMEN WHO ARE AA, WHO ARE PEOPLE OF COLOR, WHO ARE
EVERY RACE AND EVER NATIONALITY, WHO ARE WOMEN WHO ARE MOTHERS,
WOMEN WHO CLEAN HOUSES FOR A LIVING – AND FEMALE LAWYERS WHO
LET’S HOPE WILL BE FUTURE SC JUSTICES – AND WE JUST HAD A FEMALE
JUSTICE IN NEW JERSEY ATTACKED BY AN ANTI-FEMINIST WHO CALLED HER
A ‘LAZY LATINO’ – !!! THESE ARE WOMEN WHO ARE CATHOLICS AND JEWS,
PROTESTANTS AND ‘CHRISTIANS’ AND MUSLIMS –
AND WHO ARE SIMPLY SPIRITUALLY INSPIRED WITH NO ‘GODS’ ABOVE OR BELOW.
THEY ARE WOMEN WHO ARE HETEROSEXUAL AND LESBIANS AND OTHERWISE.

IT’S TIME – AND ALL IT TAKES IS $5 FROM EVERY WOMAN IN US –

YOU WOULDN’T FIND THAT SOMETHING YOU’D CONTRIBUTE TO … NOW…?

Agreed and understood, i almost put a warning in my post but figured most of us are familiar with how these organizationally sponsored petitions work. i signed and immediately unsubscribed.

3 Likes

Ok, since you put it that way. (smile)

2 Likes

The authenticity, character, genuine quality and class of Alexandria is such a very needed and refreshing change from the herd of corrupt and self-interested politicians that have become the norm - thankfully a little bit of that is changing thanks to such as AOC who shows her quality for all with eyes to see! BRAVA!

4 Likes

But the fact they are in the same party proves the Democratic Party is NOT the Republican Party. Take out the Republicans. The Democrats are muddling through as best they can. They are THE most likely to pass progressive legislation, while the GOP is certainly never going to pass anything progressive unless a greater benefit goes to billionaires.You enemy is the monolith of reactionary obstruction that is the GOP.

Thank you mr yoho. I didn’t know that “passion” means calling someone a bitch —-

1 Like

Uh oh. I’ve gone and done it now.

2 Likes

I do not follow how you draw a conclusion that AOC or Jayapal were “guilt tripping” anyone in what they said. Or were you implying someone else was doing this “guilt tripping”?

What I heard was a deft calling out of reactionary male fragility (sexist name-callers generally are exposing their own insecurities and fears), and a naming of the historical and contemporary pattern of reaction to the prospect of women’s equity, and especially equity for women of color.

Even though I have very much appreciated a magazine by the name of B----, I myself avoid ever using this word in a put-down sense. As I’ve explained to my students, this use of this word derives from hatred of women, and I myself cannot manage to feel that I am ever flipping that around in any put-down use of this word. My being a cisgender white elite-educated male U.S. citizen adds to my decision not to use this word as a put-down towards anyone.

The most important point here is that deadly discrimination against women of color in the U.S. is very much ongoing. For example, in my school district the one group of teachers who are paid significantly less than everyone else also happens to be the group who are a majority women of color, in contrast to a majority white women in the rest of the teaching body of my district. This least-paid group are the preschool teachers. They also are currently being afforded the least protection from the pandemic, expected to go back to work in-person before everyone else. I and others are standing with our preschool staff colleagues for their safety, but this is still a struggle even in one of the most liberal, “progressive” cities in California. The patterns of privilege run very deep here, and it will take a whole lot more AOC’s in congress, and transformation everywhere to change this. Thanks to the most recent BLM uprisings and so much work by so many, transformation continues to be viable, if we keep working for it.

8 Likes

Clearly there are alligators or at least some Burmese Pythons that should rid Florida of its offensive Congressmen, starting with Yoho.

Well there is always more to “name calling” than meets the eye. It is my understanding that the comment was not addressed to AOC personally, but overheard by a third party. There are all sorts of protocols for conflict resolution that as national representatives can be effective in demonstrating how best to resolve this issue. We all know it exists.

The term is multifunctional, my neighbor calls her husband a “B****” when they argue about things. (only when she is really mad) I don’t think it has the same meaning for everyone. In Mexico violence against women is an epidemic with 10 women murdered every day just for being women, according to some statistics. In the U.S. it is not as well defined but I’m sure there is some level of equality in that.

I look at how this objection is going to change the outcome.

1 Like

I really think you’re on to something there!

My work in the past alongside CalTrans workers doing some of the most dangerous work (that someone has to do)–trimming shrubs from blocking freeway exit signs, etc., with death machines hurtling by every second and sometimes literally taking out a worker–gave me the strong perspective of “safety first”: that you do not cut corners on your work safety measures, not ever, because when you do, people are maimed or die. This simple principle–safety first, that no job is worth dying for–has helped me to keep our nation’s pandemic response in perspective. Our whole corporate media landscape has already mostly accepted that we in the U.S. are to accept our outlier-ly high Covid mortality rate compared to similarly wealthy, “advanced” nations, but my old experience alongside CalTrans workers keeps reminding me that this is actually unacceptable, and this motivates me to do the pandemic activism I am doing (working for no crazy-risky school reopenings). I learned the centrality of “safety first” from those workers.

AOC may well have gained much of her powerful perspective and confidence from her earlier working experiences, particularly as a female food server. More reason to see our U.S. congress be staffed by people with similar working class experiences informing their ethics and vision. How many congresspeople have ever worked in food service or any working class job?

11 Likes

fern –

It’s a time for CAPS and WOMEN –
WOMEN ARE ALL OF US –

1 Like

ABSOLUTELY! THANK YOU. (this app won’t let me post without a complete sentence)

Yes - I have often thought that we would learn more about the candidates in a debate if instead of asking them their position on handling, say, the COVID crisis - we just asked them to fold a fitted sheet and prepare a dinner on a 9 dollar budget.

9 Likes

I love this chick so phuckin much…im not from her district, don’t have any family the Bronx… doesn’t matter, she’s MY representative in Congress. We gotta protect her, man, because the powers that be are going to try and kill her.
*Pramila’s a badass, too!

5 Likes

I remember shortly after AOC elected there was an article posted here or elsewhere where a right wing group tried to discredit her by showing video of her dancing while she attended College. I watched the link and just smiled liking her even more but it made me recognize just how much those White wing males hated her just because she was female.

There was nothing else that could cause that hatred other than as a female she was smarter then them and spoke her mind without feeling the need to defer to the guys just because they guys.

To these guys a “Bitch” is any female who has opinions that are different then their own and is vocal about it. To them the female is just just supposed to shut up and nod when the “man” is speaking.

10 Likes