Home | About | Donate

After Silencing Climate Change Research, Exxon Attempts to Bully Journalists Who Exposed It

No surprises here. I'm sure they'll get plenty of help from the PTB and the Reich wing echo chamber.

Who among our politicians or elected "representatives" will defend the courageous journalists or condemn the bully tactics of Exxon-Mobil? The answer is few or none, as all who do so would be biting the dirty hand that feeds them - a clear case of one corrupt bully calling-out another, and that they will never do until forced, kicking and screaming..............

The evidence will soon be manifest for all to see.

The annual "national corruption index" published by Transparency International vastly understates the level of corruption within the USA. TI does not look at the blatant ownership and influence that corporations exercise over every aspect of society and the economy as "corruption."

The very fact that the University education system relies on "contributions" from self-interested corporations and industries is DEEPLY CORRUPT. In a sane system, Universities would be entirely protected from corporate influence.

This of course only touches on the deep corruption of the entire establishment. In a sane system, self-interested corporations would be strictly limited in all the activities they are allowed to perform. If you manufacture and sell a product, that is all you are allowed to do. The role of "advertising" corrupts not only the content and focus of the communications media, but the consciousness and knowledge of people who rely on these communications media.

The complete penetration of the political system by corporate "campaign contributions" is another area not touched on by "mainstream" constructs of what is corruption. Each of these key social functions that shape our world, our awareness, our understanding of what is possible and impossible - academia, media, and politics - largely work within "invisible" (actually as obvious as the sun shining but not commented on) constraints imposed by the interests of these colonizing, profiteering artificial entities.

"Boycott Exxon!" seems like a good idea, except the corruption is far deeper than this one corporation. To address this larger systemic corruption, an effective movement would simultaneously work to separate people from the influences of the society-wide corruption that i've sketched, while also working hard to enable us together to meet our basic needs. This necessarily requires challenging the constructs in our own minds about what is possible, what is necessary, what we "need."

Who is preparing, in our lives and families, not to boycott Exxon, but to boycott the entire corrupt system? Who is working to discern, from a lifetime of propaganda, what is truly needed, and what is truly possible? Who is working to build communities of people dedicated to meeting our own needs, so that we will have a base from which to escape the systemic corruption, and challenge the legitimacy of these artificial entities?

Yes we need to not give Exxon any of our money. But we need to plan and work to put ourselves in position to not give ANY fossil-fuel company any of our money. We need to imagine a world free from ALL such corrupt entities, and build that world, whatever challenges arise.

It is hugely important to begin by recognizing that the ecology is far more important than the economy.

Exxon and all Gas and Oil companies and their executives need to have their assets seized by the American people.

These assets must be used to deal with the global warming disaster oil and companies helped to create.

"Through its foundation, Exxon gave $219,229 to Columbia in 2014 as part of a matching gift program for educational institutions, as well as $9,000 in direct grants. The company also gave $25,000 last year to the markets program at the university's Center on Global Energy Policy."

ExxonMobil is the most profitable corporation in the oil industry.
The oil industry is the richest industry in the history of money.
As seen above, their generosity to Columbia is as breathtaking as their arrogance.
Bernie Sanders has weighed in already. Now waiting for Hillary...(wait for it, wait for it...).

...the response to the letter, which Coll said he's preparing to publish on the school website "in the next couple of days."

I? certainly hope the response includes telling Exxon CEOs to go f--k a turtle or relocate to Venus - which already has a deadly atmosphere. Exxon needs to pay - and grandly - to account for what they have done. I also believe all the ''exceptional people on this planet - including me - accept some responsibility, too. .We could not have been so ignorant that we did not see the effects global warming has had the last few decades, Anyone who claims ignorance needs to go back to the first grade - or accompany Exxon to Venus where you will in the short time before you die from an unbreatheable atmosphere get a first-class education on why it pays to be well-educated and care for the only home we have.

In the general scheme of things, the money Exxon has given to the university is chump change for an institution like Columbia. They shouldn't hold out their hand for more. Columbia should move to divest itself from Exxon-if it hasn't done so already. Exxon is pissed because it didn't get what it thought they paid for.What can they do about it if Columbia divests? Not much.

The 'chickens are coming home to roost' and the boy's whom created our ecological crisis are put off when reams of clear evidence points to them. This greed driven Godless cabal of earth assassins need to be indicted for conspiracy to threaten the existence of mankind. How is anything more sinister than "knowingly committing global poisoning of ecosystems" to the point of rendering the planet's natural capacities to recover from degradation inadequate?!
Anyone connected to this abomination should be imprisoned for the rest of their miserable existence and forced to divest from all forms of wealth holdings - made to live in squalor and sip the tailings from a frack holding pond.
Greed is not just a mental illness - it is a weapon the rich use to circumvent all manner of truth and decency in society, while ruining lives of people too busy scrounging out a living to pay notice of the horrendous crimes being waged against them.

i have to say, i basically agree with you, which is why i included the parts about figuring out how we can meet each others needs as a prerequisite for being able to challenge power. Odds remain extremely slim no matter what we do at this point, but what else can i do but try? i'm a bit younger than you but definitely "on the downward slope," and i'm trying to figure out exactly how best to apply myself to this work during whatever time i have left. Thanks for all your posts here.

Attempting to blackmail a huge university with $300,000, while each penny counts, is silly. It is also one of the most ham-handed letters ever. This must blow up in their face. It has to.

You are absolutely right. Naomi Klein has written book about this. The fact that Exxon and other mega-corporations can buy influence in our universities and dictate to our lawmakers should make it clear that our entire system is corrupt. This is much larger than a single issue like global warming. Capitalism itself is broken. Workers are no longer making a living wage. Profits go up. Wages go down. the 0.1% of the population makes more money than the other 90% We need to devise new systems. Such as: Cooperatives where the businesses are OWNED by the workers. Systems where people work together on housing, transportation and other issues. Some examples already exist.

i'm more convinced than ever that worker-owned enterprises are the best model for business. i like what Gar Alperovitz has written about multiple avenues to democratize the economy, including worker co-ops, municipal corporations (like public utilities), and trusts (like housing land trusts). Keep working!

These corporations rule and lie when ever it suits them.
The only person even hinting at taking some of their power is Bernie Sanders.
Our votes can over come their money. And we need to work on changing the House and
Senate also.

It's not nearly enough to withdraw public support from fossil fuel corporations. We have to immediately nationalize all the US fossil fuel corporations and stop exploration, and begin to rapidly phase out burning of such fuels while displacing them with efficiency, conservation, ecological lives and clean renewable energy, at all possible speed.

I agree with everything you say, except for the godless part. In my experience, godless people are better than godful people.

Maybe Exxon can sue Columbia. That would be a pretty stupid move-but whatever legal advice they're getting doesn't look brilliant, if the fumbling letter from their legal department is any indication.

Steve Coll has written about ExxonMobile in The New Yorker. He also wrote a book about Exxon Mobile titled Private Empire, ExxonMobile and American Power, copyright 2012.Steve Coll's letter to Kenneth Cohen, PR guy from Exxon Mobile, was partially read by Bill McKibben on "Democracy Now" today. Coll's 6 page reply to ExxonMobile is fabulous! The reports about ExxonMobile are very well researched and hopefully they will hold up under legal scrutiny.