Home | About | Donate

After the Apocalypse: Trying to Describe Reality in Unreal Times

After the Apocalypse: Trying to Describe Reality in Unreal Times

Sarah Jaffe

Since the election of Donald Trump to the presidency, I’ve seen several photos of chalkboards in front of bookstores, reading something along the lines of, “Dystopian Fiction Has Now Been Moved to Current Events.”

It’s a good joke, and one that gets a lot of clicks and reposts on Facebook and Twitter. For a journalist, it also underscores the struggles of accurately describing current events when they do feel impossible, unreal, dystopian.

Reuters has decided to cover the Trump regime the same way they cover other authoritarian regimes. Seems like a good plan to me.

Excellent and very readable commentary - should be required-reading. Thank you Sarah!

Language is best suited to song, poetry and romance. In politics, it is divisive and manipulative; and as we learned from the last president, eloquence can be a mask concealing true motivation. Pay no attention to their words, watch what they do.

After watching the blow by blow of every POTUS campaign since 1960, Ross Perot's 1992 campaign with his graphs and such was the most honest campaign I ever witnessed by far.

Well, since Spicer has validated the Onion as a credible source: