Home | About | Donate

After Trump Deploys Secret Police in Portland, 'Imagine What Happens If He Gets Four More Years'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/17/after-trump-deploys-secret-police-portland-imagine-what-happens-if-he-gets-four-more

6 Likes

Mary Trump has publicly opined that if her uncle gets a second term, “the American experiment will be over.”

25 Likes

Also Mary Trump has no doubt that Trump will cheat and rig the election in November :" MY UNCLE HAS CHEATED HIS WHOLE LIFE". Mary who knows her Uncle better than most claims unless Trump is defeated by " AN OVERWHELMING MAJORITY" Trump will probably get a second term.

14 Likes

And as a lame duck, who knows what will happen between November and January. It won’t be good.

16 Likes

As noted in the article, Trump is following through on legislation signed by Obama. Just like those cages Trump is throwing children into were mostly built by Obama and Bush. So far Trump hasn’t drone bombed any U.S. citizens like Obama did, but when it happens (not if) it will likely kill far more. The threads of continuity are too striking to ignore, though they usually are.

27 Likes

There’s something happening here
What it is ain’t exactly clear
There’s a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware

I think it’s time we stop, children, what’s that sound
Everybody look what’s going down

There’s battle lines being drawn
Nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind

It’s time we stop, hey, what’s that sound

What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side

It’s s time we stop, hey, what’s that sound

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you’re always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away

We better stop, hey, what’s that sound
Stop, hey, what’s that sound
Stop, now, what’s that sound
Stop, children, what’s that sound

Source: LyricFind

Songwriters: Stephen Stills

For What It’s Worth lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Royalty Network, Warner Chappell Music Inc

33 Likes

I’m guessing, often the case, i.e. the Democrats set the stage for exactly the abuses then inflicted by the Republicans, and in this case, on U.S. soil, the proverbial chickens coming home to roost.

I recall Ken Starr’s policing abuses - actually enabled by the Democrats when they had one of their own people in what later became the “Bible beater’s” unfettered authoritative powers.

11 Likes

They do not need to charge the protesters with anything. Terror and fear is the only agenda for these thugs.

25 Likes

That lame duck period needs to be abolished STAT. Swear the newly elected officials in the Monday after the election. 99% or more of the results will be in by then. No big deal if a few candidates’ races aren’t decided for a few weeks for whatever the reason. Too much harm can be done by officials that have been voted out of office, whether through malice or apathy. Another archaic leftover from the days of the horse and buggy. This is the 21st freaking century for god’s sake.

18 Likes

What could happen in a second Trump term? I shudder to think.

He could cage children by the thousands and deport more people than all 20th-century presidents combined (no, wait, that was Obama)…

He could wipe out the wealth of African-American households – all of the post Civil Rights Era gains of black Americans (no, wait, that was Obama)…

He could expand the Global War of Terror from two to seven countries (no, wait, that was Obama)…

He could normalize the vacuum surveillance of everyone’s communications and lie about it to the American people (no, wait, that was Obama)…

He could use the Espionage Act – perverting its intent in order to persecute journalists and whistleblowers – more than twice as many times as all previous presidents (no, wait, that was Obama)…

He could end Posse Comitatus the law nearly as old as the Constitution which prevented U.S. presidents from using the military as a domestic policing force (no, wait, that was Obama)…

He could repeal the Smith-Mundt Act, preventing the U.S. government from propagandizing the American people on American soil (no, wait, that was Obama)…

He could normalize torture, black sites, rendition, and the assassination of American citizens, uncharged with any crime, and their children (no, wait, that was Obama)…

He could try to end our regime-change efforts in Syria and repeatedly attempt to withdraw our last troops from Afghanistan (no, wait, he did do that – that was Trump!).

The point is not that Donald Trump is not a genuine threat to our nation and most living creatures. The point is simply this: he has a long way to go before he proves himself as dangerous to humanity as his immediate predecessors, who, unlike Trump, butchered millions of Arab Muslims: ~http://invitation2artivism.com/minimizing-genocide/

And the larger point is simply this: If we don’t focus on what is systemically wrong with our political system – and both wings of our corrupt, neo-fascist duopoly (partners, every step of the way) – then we will remain divided and conquered, paving the way for more, and worse presidents than Donald Trump, Barack Obama, George W. Bush, and the Clintons… as hard as that is to imagine.

25 Likes

It’s never been a real issue till now. Biden is only a booby prize, he will be elected because of Trump, the racist cops and nefarious thugs will still be “working”.

4 Likes

That’s an old one. And from the same era:

~https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3mgapAcVdU

2 Likes

Both governors of Oregon and Washington need to bring out the National Guard to protect the state citizens from Drumpf’s SS v. 2.0.

Seems these “state rights” folks are all about replicating Privatized Profits and Socialized Losses at the public level. We’re on our own UNLESS they don’t like what we’re doing, and then they’re all about Federal Law (or in this case anti-law).

Slings and slingshots have better symbolic value than guns. Keep this in mind as we goose-step into Greatness.

9 Likes

I imagine a continued descent into madness and destruction will happen no matter who is in charge. Both parties work for their corporate oligarch masters and those same masters are fine with what is going on as long as the money flows, whether from consumers or government handouts. They don’t care if we are all locked up or not. Hell, we are free labor to them once we are in prison. The outcome will be the same if Trump is there or not. He’s just doing it a bit faster. Presidents don’t give up the powers their predecessors expand term after term. I will never forget when Obama illegally ordered the assassination of two American citizens the son of the other one killed was only sixteen. Where was the fucking outrage then from the citizenry when that happened. Hell, based on another article here on CommonDream 38% of the citizens are cheering all this on. As bad as Trump is and he is a monster, this dystopian descent as the USA collapses will continue under Biden as well. Rinse and repeat…

22 Likes

The WWII Resistance left us a pretty good idea how to deal with nazi and gestapo

Italians gave ol mussolini a nice going away celebration

How do “Stand your Ground Laws” deal with unmarked personnel

As I mentioned before, better check if these aren’t contractors operating without government restrictions

I could see State National Guard being called out to protect State’s Rights

8 Likes

An interesting link X. And whereas my recent history of “who did what to whom” and who is ultimately to blame, is muddled with all the other atrocities in the world these days, the mention of Robert Fisk reminded me of his book “the quest for civilization” which tells the whole “sordid” story of the Middle East and the entities who perpetrated abominations on Sovereign countries for the past 200 years.
(And what Robert Fisk doesn’t know about the M.E. is not worth knowing.)

5 Likes

The NAZIS are back und trumpty dumpty IST DER FUEHRER - Seig Heil and all that. Make sure he is defeated roundly in November or it will not just be America that will not be safe but the whole world !!!

4 Likes

Clearly the truly corrupt, greed-driven and astonishingly incompetent regime in power will stop at nothing regardless how destructive to the Common Good, society and nationhood, how threatening to families and children, how many people it kills or allows to be killed, how unconstitutional, how depraved and extreme, to continue their RepubliCon right-wing agenda.

A lesson to complicit right-wing neo-liberal DP politicians who serve many of the same interests and destructive agenda but have mostly evaded the spotlight, condemnation, and consequences for their extremist agenda - we can and must do very much better in our leaders if we are to survive. A new party to represent the Common Good and civilian needs and priorities seems essential if there is to be a vehicle for honest political leadership and change for the 99% not corporatist and militarist domination.

7 Likes

You said a mouthful! Fisk has won something like seven awards for best foreign reporting, and, as you say, there’s very little worth knowing about the West’s warmongering crusades in the Middle East that Fisk hasn’t already put into words… although I’d lament the loss of Mahmood Mamdani’s books on the subject, as his voice is also essential, IMO.

“The Great War for Civilisation” should be required reading at the college level, at least. And Mamdani’s “Good Muslim, Bad Muslim” would make a pretty good companion text.

3 Likes

However, the neocons are not going to allow anything other than another four years and another war in the Mideast.

1 Like