Home | About | Donate

After Trump's Authoritarian 'Law and Order' Speech, Military Helicopters Descend Low Over DC to Intimidate Protesters

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/02/after-trumps-authoritarian-law-and-order-speech-military-helicopters-descend-low

3 Likes

This’ll do just fine, if the intention is to refuel the rebellion with renewed energy and rage. Here we go…

8 Likes

Like waving a red rag at a bull.

5 Likes

We are about to find out which side the military is on. If they side with The People, then real revolutionary change is possible. If they side with the oligarchy, it could be a bloodbath.
But then again there is a uniquely american third option. Most of us could just lose interest in the protests, in politics, and in justice, and just settle in to Fascism.
Knowing Americans, option three is what will probably happen.

8 Likes

Some guidance:

Ordering rank-and-file soldiers into U.S. cities, to repress people in neighborhoods just like theirs, may not be as easy as Trump may think. Military discipline was difficult enough to enforce in Vietnam and Iraq, and will be harder in an American city. Soldiers have the right to refuse illegal orders to harm civilians. The Uniform Code of Military Justice (Article 92) establishes a duty to obey lawful orders, but also a duty to disobey unlawful orders to that are clearly contrary to the Constitution.

If soldiers feel they are being given an unlawful order to harm or violate the rights of civilians, “I was just following orders” may not be an adequate legal defense. They can legally send an “appeal for redress” to their congressional representative that is protected under the Military Whistleblower Protection Act. Military personnel know quiet, creative ways to “work-to-rule,” and share vital information about unlawful actions, to help slow down the madness. And if in doubt, they can always kneel or pray for guidance.

Deploying Federal Troops in a War at Home Would Make a Bad Situation Worse
by Zoltan Grossman
~https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/06/02/deploying-federal-troops-in-a-war-at-home-would-make-a-bad-situation-worse/

4 Likes

During the demonstrations around People’s Park in Berkeley 50 years ago, National Guard helicopters were used to dispense airborne teargas over protesters (including myself). It was a very different (scarier) experience than just running away from police with their nightsticks and tear gas on the ground - definitely just made me and others madder about the whole situation. Because the tear gas enveloped the whole city and hurt patients in Berkeley hospitals - it also inflamed other folks that were previously on the fence about the basic issue. Overall, a very counter-productive tactic from the point of view of the property-over-people crowd.

8 Likes

All well and good, but I would remind everyone that the military code of conduct also says a soldier shouldn’t take part in torture, or the killing of unarmed civilians.
Vietnam, central and South America, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and yes Manzanar, Birmingham, and Kent State all suggests that the MCC isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.
Just like the cops, the military in the USA is here for one purpose, maintain the white capitalist status quo.
I hope I am wrong. But knowing the history of the American military, and of course the fact that we have anointed them as “heroes” gives them the mea culpa they need in order to shoot us, for our own good of course.

5 Likes

The trouble with Tear Gas Bibles is they’re so hard to read.

3 Likes

My first reaction–this is exactly what has been going on in impoverished black neighborhoods for years but the nation never noticed. Now they are coming for everyone else. It was good to see the many hues represented amongst this rebellion. Solidarity and union are an absolute necessity.

5 Likes

Nothing, but nothing is sacred anymore and the skies have not been so at least since WWI when they were figuring out how to get bombs on so they could be dropped from those early airplanes. Then came the atomic bombs–and now the whole world is suffering from PTSD and our youth are facing the addition of imminent ecological collapse. None of us can remain passive and silent.

7 Likes

When off duty they are science denying, MAGA hat wearing, high school dropout, trailer trash.

3 Likes

Pay very close attention to the entirety of the MEME being employed.

NOTE: the name of the make of the helicopter? Ask your self… How does the name make me feel toward the humanity of a people whose very name has been stolen and weaponized?

THIS is part of the insanity behind the manipulations OF YOUR HEART AND MIND.

This is not a game people. Pay very close attention and see the humanity of all who are being subjected to ethnocide, genocide, ecocide. The system cannot function without these forms of predation.

Do not mistake refusal to accept predation as some form of “insurrection”. Stand with honor and dignity. Do not participate in abuses!

4 Likes

In other words people like you and me who have been subjected to systemic impoverishment. Impoverishment in diet, education, information, enfranchisement… and the list goes on.

4 Likes

Lakota helicopters and at least one Black Hawk

It wasn’t enough to steal the land and lives of the First Nations peoples but to name their death machinery says it all, does it not? I’ll be out today and will keep in mind the First Nations amongst my own ancestors (Sioux, maternal matrilineal). Lakotas were a fierce and honorable tribe but this cannot be said of US American military and police. No way. They confuse bullying with strength.

9 Likes

All too true. Unlike the commercials, the average member of the US military comes from a lower income background and barely possesses a high school diploma (although one is not required)
The other reply to you comment is also true, as our rube military does indeed appropriately represent about a third of the American public and are poor, dumb, and racist.

5 Likes

“and our youth are facing the addition of imminent ecological collapse. None of us can remain passive and silent.”

A well documented but very disturbing report:

~https://news.sky.com/story/the-plastic-nile-why-pollution-in-africas-greatest-river-threatens-all-our-futures-11997479

And:

~https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jun/02/football-pitch-area-tropical-rainforest-lost-every-six-seconds

And:

~https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jun/01/sixth-mass-extinction-of-wildlife-accelerating-scientists-warn

I don’t have much hope of turning any of this around with leaders such as dump, bolsonaro, modi, netanyahou etc

5 Likes

Thanks, Wings. Those mounted cops bring back bad memories of anti-Viet Nam War protests when, without warning they would charge into us. Removing Trump is essential as he gives credence to all the other authoritarians.

5 Likes

Interesting how the leaders that you point out are the leaders of what were referred to as the BRICS nations (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa) nations that were called the up and coming economies of the early 21st century. Yet all have willingly and actively turned to fascism, and all with the blessing of the USA.
What we may be witnessing is the organization of the 21st century Axis powers. And as like their 20th century predecessors, they will be brought together by the common thread of fascism and the establishment of a new age feudal system.

5 Likes

Is it courage or foolishness that channels this energy into street protests that seem inevitably to cost more lives? Not even a byproduct of the protests themselves- but a deadly virus that knows no boundaries- political, physical, racial or age

Perhaps both. The basic outrage among even conventional politicians- and yes- their cowardice in some cases- has caused them to avoid this issue- this human concern. Politically inconvenient.
I know and always knew Trump and his henchman will attemot to sabotage and/or cancel the November elections. Not only destroying black lives- but destroying what remains of freedom for the sake of power, “peace” and security. I know 40% of Amerixans don’t give a darnn. I know Trump feeds on the violence and that he sees this as a chance to solidify power.

Yet this violence and the response to it did not arise in a vacuum. Indifference, hatred in all forms and a willingness to look the other way, blanket condemnation and the desire to be “right” no matter what -all play out on the stage of life.

And as the streets erupt, life on Earth itself burns in a frenzied holocaust. Yet this does not inspire rage in the streets- but a kind of willing acceptance. And when it all plays out- what will be left to fight for?

4 Likes

Buffalo Springfield put this to music back in the day:

~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp5JCrSXkJY

1 Like