Home | About | Donate

After Warning Congresswoman 'Be Careful,' Trump Has Yet to Denounce Lynching Threats Made Against Maxine Waters

After Warning Congresswoman 'Be Careful,' Trump Has Yet to Denounce Lynching Threats Made Against Maxine Waters

Jake Johnson, staff writer

It has been more than 13 hours since Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) announced that she was forced to cancel speaking events due to "very serious" lynching threats, and President Donald Trump—who just days ago warned Waters to "be careful what you wish for"—has yet to issue so much as a tweet denouncing the threats against the life of a sitting member of Congress.

Trump doesn’t have to do anything. A decent portion of his base doesn’t care and he’s relying on white resentment and racism to get them out in the upcoming election. I know, I know—it’s all about “economic insecurity.” Just like it was in the 1870s, 1890s, and 1920s, other periods of our history that tilted hard right with a nativist bent.

It HAS Happened Here! Donald Trump is Buzz Windrip (see Sinclair Lewis’ It Can’t Happen Here (1935) to understand the predicament in which we find the USA.). Fascism is in full effect. The loyalists have carte blanche. They are never more than 140 characters away from their next orders, explicit or implicit in context.

It’s hard for nice progressive people to imagine the violence, racism, gun love, and other dangerousness that inhabits the minds, hearts and culture of Trump and the Trump cult.
Unless you’re a chameleon like I am, and have talked to the Trump culters (especially in the old Confederacy but also in the rural west and midwest), you don’t realize that another Civil War is on the horizon, except that this time, in the White House is the anti-Lincoln, and the Republican Party is the party bent on destroying the Union by eradicating progressives, environmentalists, atheists, LGBT, minorities, poor people, and women who want reproductive freedom.
The violence Trump explicitly encouraged at his campaign rallies, his slagging of Maxine as “a very low IQ person,” his defense of KKK goons in Charlottesville, and his pandering to gun fetishists and the military are all indicators of the brutality of this man and his followers.
It’s uncomfortable to realize that there might have to be an epic, physical battle between the forces of good and evil. It had to happen to get rid of slavery and it might have to happen again.
I remember a protest on behalf of ancient redwoods in NorCal when loggers and police goons beat and even killed non-violent forest advocates.
The only thing that stopped them is when the forest advocates started beating them in return.
Bullies will never stop until they get their ass beat.
Heed well this wisdom from Thomas Jefferson:
Paris Nov. 13. 1787.
The people can not be all, & always, well informed. the part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. if they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. we have had 13 states independent 11 years. there has been but one rebellion. that comes to one rebellion in a century & a half for each state. what country before ever existed a century & half without a rebellion? & what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms. the remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. what signify a few lives lost in a century or two? the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is its natural manure."

Answering Trump’s incivility by encouraging folks to get in administration officials’ faces is unwise. So is reckless and unfounded rhetoric about some supposed impending “civil war.” People should always choose their words wisely, but especially now, when a demagogue is in the White House who routinely lies and tosses chum to his worked up loyalists. Too many hotheads about. We all need to take some deep breaths and not speak from our reptilian brains but from the voice of conscience and reason.

The overt blatant calls for violence against others from a sitting “president” is unheard-of in modern times!

In any normal society this publicly spoken threat to Maxine Waters life from some deranged trumper, would not be tolerated and the perp charged, indicted and tried!

I believe people have already been killed as a direct result of the criminal behavior and mindset of this malignant psychopath! From the murder of Heather Heyer by a neonazi, to shootings and racist attacks, to violence around the world and deaths too numerous to count, to “ordinary” violence at his neonazi style “rally’s”; der trumpenfuhrer is responsible for the dissolution of normal behavior in our society! by his abnormal and pathological behavior and words.

We as a nation either stand for the rule of law and ordinary norms of decency or we fall into the abyss…but, I suppose that’s where the power wants us to be, and trump is their wet-dream…

And we are only just getting started folks…

You are an appeaser, a coward, and a fool.
You’re slagging Maxine, just as Trump and Pelosi did.
That shows me you’ve no courage, and you’re not a true progressive.
Thomas Jefferson knew what he was talking about.
You don’t. You’re a sheep who is too weak and afraid to be anything other than a victim.

Well of course protesting against Trump administration officials harms them because they are some of the biggest snow flakes in human history and can’t bear having their beliefs and actions challenged by those wielding facts and human decency. It’s hilarious to hear any right wing snowflakes decrying incivility on the part of anyone who doesn’t share their fact free and racist mind set.

Someone with a fascist mentality like Trump is always going to try to create fear. Personally I don’t agree with Water’s strategy but Trump’s reaction should not be surprising. He has said at a campaign rally that Second Amendment people may have their own of way of dealing with things. If you think Trump is bad the Southern Poverty Law center has informed its supporters that ‘Far-right provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos, a former columnist at Breitbart News, says he hopes angry conservatives will start assassinating reporters. “I can’t wait for the vigilante squads to start gunning journalists down on sight,” he texted a reporter. Yiannopoulos has been a regular speaker at college campuses over the last several years.’ Certainly there are other potential Dylann Roofs to be concerned about. Despite all the concern about domestic terrorist attacks by jihadists, white supremacists have killed twice as many people since 9-11. These are dangerous times and the best thing to do is tone it down and work to defeat the Republicans in 2018.

It would be great if “reason” was effective against those who have lost their minds and have been overwhelmed by superstition and nonsense such as “Christian Zionism” etc. Their capacity to reason and thus be reasoned with has been shut down by a very effective campaign of propaganda and fear mongering. I think that Mr. Carson may be correct unless the decent and reasonable majority can exert it’s will through the ballot box and elect people who will not be cowed by those who seek to intimidate or, in other ways, manipulate them like the Establishment Democrats like to do.

It’s not about Reptilian Brain Responses. It is about Standing Up.

When MLK headed to Birmingham, it wasn’t a subdued, take a deep breath and be nice march.

While it was civil march, it was a march right into the mouth of the beast, make no mistake about the level of confrontation they expected.

Suggest you review “Mississippi Burning” again, for it is precisely where we are right now.
Except one very important thing, RFK has been replaced by KKK

this gang of thugs sees civility as weakness to be exploited. yes, we need to descend down into their gutter and fight back with all we have. do you realize that they just kept a female black congresswomen from travelling to texas ??? keep it up and they will come for you and your children. sorry, but this IS NOW CIVIL WAR. i just called waters’ office to express my support.

“toning it down” is exactly what these thugs want. they want to scare us into silence. they are cowardly and weak but will exploit our “civility” as our weakness. we cannot afford to be either reasonable or civil with this crowd of thugs : we need to be cunningly aggressive

The only thing more dangerous than Trump is cult 45 that will forever be his base.

Ca I assume from the quote above that you are opposed to “gun control” that would disarm the poor and persons of color?

The Trump administration uses race the way the Hunt brothers used sugar is advance their economic agenda. No one really takes the time to examine the issues but instead further polarize events. And yes that includes immigration.

These days life feels like a Salvador Dali painting … everything is unbelievably bizarre. I agree with David Carson. It looks as though the time is coming to turn up the volume on dissent. We have a Congress where those who want to stop Trump are pretty much powerless and those who can, will not. Trump and his crew are destroying this country. Are we just supposed to sit here and hope “our votes count”? We can hope the upcoming elections change things. If not, I think we’re going to have to stand up and fight … what form it will take, I don’t know, massive strikes, boycotts … and after that maybe in the streets. It is not overthrowing the government, it’s restoring it.

There are a sickening number of brown-shirts-in-waiting hanging on Trump’s every word. The escalation will be fast and it’s going to be terrible because not enough of us are taking the violent speech from those in power seriously.

Rest assured, Trump’s racist base does take it seriously, and they are glad to accept the dismissive contempt now in order to take us all by surprise later. Hopefully Trump won’t have his wall built by then. I’m a little old for climbing.

Dear Jen … everything is so dark these days, thanks for the laugh re: the wall … me, too, my “monkey days” are pretty much over.