Home | About | Donate

'Ah Baby, We Gotta Go Now': Music Legend John Prine Dies at 73 After Battle With Coronavirus

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/07/ah-baby-we-gotta-go-now-music-legen-john-prine-dies-73-after-battle-coronavirus

6 Likes

R.I.P. John.

This World’s problems are no longer your concern.

10 Likes

OH this is completely unacceptable. rest well JP

2 Likes

John Prine died of lung cancer. From Wikipedia…" In early 1998, Prine was diagnosed with squamous cell cancer on the right side of his neck. He had major surgery to remove a substantial amount of diseased tissue, followed by six weeks of radiation therapy. … In 2013, Prine learned he had cancer in his left lung and underwent surgery to remove part of it"

2 Likes

I listened to John all day long as I knew in his compromised state he would succumb to the VIRUS.

Nosotros te amamos John

2 Likes

All reports available give the cause of John Prime’s death as complications of Covid-19. He continued to have a successful singing career after his battles and treatments for neck and lung cancers years ago. I saw John in concert several times in the past 10 years, he was superb.

8 Likes

My son and I saw him in Philadelphia with Patty Griffin. When he sang the song about Vietnam, "There’s a hole in daddy’s arm…where all the money goes…"so many guys of a certain age, probably veterans, sang along. And remember the one about Muhlenburg County, and strip mining…he gave our music so many songs, with such an edge, humor, attitude and even sweetness. Thank you John

12 Likes

We keep losing the Great ones and continue to be left with the Scum.

Good Journey John
RIP

6 Likes

Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
Make me a poster of an old rodeo
Just give me something that I can hold onto
To believe in this living is just a long way to go

5 Likes

This man was one of the greatest folk artists and songwriters in American history, who wrote not merely from the head, but most assuredly from the heart. He not only touched many people and their lives, and their own hearts, but he also inspired a whole lot of musicians to give songwriting a try, with a standard that is as golden as any you might find. His combination of wit, humor and sincere empathy for other people is something that will be very dearly missed by millions.

6 Likes

Two other great music legends died within the past two weeks: kenny rogers and bill withers. (Not from Covid 19) They deserve our respect too.

3 Likes

Pony I really loved his music style. I’ll never forget the anger inspired by his tune “Paradise”. Great music! He will be missed. Rest In Peace John. You are among the world’s best.

5 Likes

Tough day, what can you say? Wry was John and no rye will cut the pain from this long sad day.
This one is gong to leave a mark.
Tell Donald and Lydia hello for me, John.
Adios, amigo.

6 Likes

Something must be telling the rest of us that it is our time to, in any way we can, step up to the plate

3 Likes

Ouch ouch ouch.

Our trickster has gone.

2 Likes

Don’t be too sad. John is one who lived to tell the tale, a true American original. Your songs have been a constant companion, lo these many years, JP. I bow to you. And may you catch a whopper, Johnny. You can always put it back & catch it again.

Father forgive us for what we must do
You forgive us we’ll forgive you
We’ll forgive each other till we both turn blue
Then we’ll whistle and go fishing in heaven.

6 Likes

One of those folks that all you have to do is say his name, John Prine. If the hearer knows it, you can add nothing, at least I can’t. Thanks for sharing your gifts, John.

4 Likes

@Northcascadian, we must be careful about attributing a death to what was clearly spelt out as ‘complications due to COVID-19.’ That is how Russia and China are messing with statistics, and the US has a hand in that vile practice as well.
Yes, Mr. Prine had cancer, and the lung cancer was probably spawned by the squamous, and yes, removal of part of the lung was necessary to extend life, but: how much more life would he have gotten were it not for an untreatable novel respiratory disease allowed to gain footing to such a degree thanks to an incompetent, petulant, narcissistic bozo ignoring advice from his own hand-picked staff for months?
If you read the Wikipedia page (and I recommend all do so immediately) you should be impressed by the lung segmentectomy recovery regimen: run up and down the stairs holding a guitar and then sing two songs. On tour six months later. Holy F. John would have lasted a lot longer were it not for…‘complications of COVID-19.’

3 Likes

a life well lived, RIP John - may you continue to be an example to us all in a new world devoid of you.

3 Likes

The Scum’s time is gonna come.

3 Likes