Home | About | Donate

Ahead of Primary, NH Workers Declare: Want My Vote? Raise the Wage!

Ahead of Primary, NH Workers Declare: Want My Vote? Raise the Wage!

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

Want my vote? Then raise the wage.

That's the message that low wage workers in New Hampshire sent to the presidential contenders on Saturday when fast food employees and others walked off the job days before the state's pivotal primary election.

"I’ve never walked off the job before, but I can’t wait any longer for fair pay," said Megan Jensen, a mother and KFC employee who lives off of $8 an hour. Jensen said that this is also the first year she plans to vote in the state's February 9th primary.

You're saying all the right things, Bernie, about the big banks bribing Hillary and others, national health care for all, free tuition, $15 minimum wage, etc. Now now say something about cutting "defense" by half so we can pay for it all, making our military defensive rather than offensive, stop supporting dictatorships like the Saudis, Egyptians, etc.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This is a rather nice adaptation of the way of the uber-rich. Their mantra is "want my $upport?, then dance to the tune I play!" On the one hand it is sad to see so many people's votes for $ale, on the other hand, "when in Rome..."(and does anybody really think the US has not become the degenerate and collapsing Roman Empire just before its dissolution?)

Yep, but when it comes to votes, here's the catch: Not everyone can work (health, etc.), and there aren't jobs for all. The last I heard, there are 7 jobs for every 10 people who are still able to seek one (can't get a job once you no longer have a home address, phone, etc.). While that's an improvement, consider what happens to those who are left out, with no means of providing for themselves. The US shipped out a massive number of jobs since the 1980s, ended actual welfare in the 1990s. We have a poverty crisis. Why would the poor vote for a Democrat in November, when Democrats and liberals have only more deeply alienated them? You can't buy a loaf of bread with promises of eventual jobs.

Speaking of food, note that Democrats had agreed to virtually end food stamps to the elderly poor and the disabled, cutting monthly allotments from roughly $115 to $15. People (including politicians) already figured out that when Republicans target the poor, those who aren't on the right wing raise a fuss. When Democrats target the poor, they shrug. When it comes to voting choices, this matters.

Those things don't mean a whole lot to people who don't have basic food and shelter. Reality: Not everyone can work (health, etc.) and there simply aren't jobs for all. There is no aid for those who are left out. (TANF is a short-term, marginally subsidized job program, only for those with children.) What we did overall was create a massive surplus of job-ready people who are desperate for any job at any wage, willing to do your job for half the pay. We essentially made ourselves powerless. Even if you could wage a successful strike, the chances are good that the strikers would slowly, quietly, be replaced by cheaper labor. Not happy-talk, but there is no chance of correcting problems if we pretend they don't exist.