Home | About | Donate

Ahead of Senate Vote, Snowden Speaks Out to Stop CISA

Ahead of Senate Vote, Snowden Speaks Out to Stop CISA

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

As the U.S. Senate gears up for a vote on the controversial Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act (CISA) on Tuesday, privacy advocates are galvanizing an 11th-hour push against the bill they say does nothing more than expand government spying powers.

I suppose most Americans have been conditioned to be afraid and as a consequence to look the government to protect them. This opens the door to Homeland Security, fatter defense budgets, and more and more surveillance, all claimed to be for our benefit. And I think there is no sense of danger, perhaps even a feeling of greater security when government does what it has done. People see the economic benefits of more jobs in the security complex and the only real pain is in far away countries.

And we are quite happy with the endless entertainment in the form of Super Bowls, March Madness and the World Series. News of wars become entertainment, the thrill of shock and awe, our rapt attention when there is a lock down of cities when a single act of a crazy person occurs.

What is freedom anyway.

Historically, we have been able to right ourselves when abuse occurs, but at what point do things become irreversible and we look back and say why did we let it happen.

For many years corporate and government propaganda has succeeded in serially pushing folks' fear and greed buttons and brainwashing the masses to believe that anybody who asks "why did we let it happen" (or offers a credible explanation for how "it" happened) is to be dismissed and ostracized as a conspiracy theorist, is unpatriotic or worse.

Where does H. Clinton stand on CISA?

Double win for fascism as the Senate passes CISA and the EU Parliament dismantles net neutrality.

The idea that Obama represents anyone other than the banks and their corporations is a misconception. And, of course, what keeps the handful of plutocrats in control of the planet is control over U.S., NATO, and Israel military and intelligence organizations. http://coloradopublicbanking.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-view-from-top-of-power-pyramid.html

The "Hangman" of Fascism just put another knot in his rope on the gallows tree meant for the American Public- And once again, not enough seemed to care....

Good observation and thank you for mentioning this- Isn't it beyond coincidence that on both sides of the Atlantic this scheming Legislation was brought to bare- Kind of like the up and coming Fascist and "secretive" Free Trade, come screw us deals....How Special!!!!

It kinda falls right in with and goes hand in hand with the "Secretive" Fascist Free Trade deals-
They are tightening the noose on Freedom and Democracy-

67 bipartisan traitors for fascism!

Look at how all of these opinionated, Conservative loudmouth Republican/Libertarian types ran and hid from this vote-Cruz (R-TX), Not Voting, Graham (R-SC), Not Voting, Paul (R-KY), Not Voting, Rubio (R-FL), Not Voting, Vitter (R-LA), Not Voting....
Was this better than voting Yea-or just cowardice in dodging their political responsibility by being irresponsible cowards?

Thank you, Edward. I love it when you pipe in!

Same news day that the European Parliament approved a net neutrality bill that was everything but. Presented as what it clearly isn't, just like our non-representatives did to us and to their oaths to the Constitution, and how much we should ever trust them.
Huh.
No coincidence there, just another blatantly coordinated attack on democracy and freedom of information by the international and domestic parasitic elites.
Those posh boys do show their shine when they pull off such a 'cross the pond and up yours!' bit of cleverness like this little pairing!

Seriously, the effect of both legislations, in the hands of the empowered only by inbreeding, institutionalized childhoods, inheritance and narcissism, amounts to the practical dismissal of all previous attempts to govern the criminally insane gluttons found at the top of every sick period in human history.
These are both outrageous criminal assaults on civil society, the work of our peoples' worst enemies.

This is what Jefferson wrote about in his journal during the Revolution: we'll let government functionaries take away our rights little by little til one day our rights will be gone, with the only hope of getting them back being "convulsion" - blood in the streets.

We have to build a world outside this tyranny. Here's my husband's book to get started- http://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Microsoft-Learn-Linux-LibreOffice/dp/1494267225/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446039293&sr=8-1&keywords=free+yourself+from+microsoft+and+the+NSA

CISA would primarily provide security to the .001'ers -- the same gang that has the money to BUY rights and freedoms.

In other words, those with most of the wealth and power -- with most of the rights and freedoms -- will now be the most secure (while reducing the security of others) -- all at the taxpayer's expense.

So let me see .... unbridled capitalism leading to plutocracy and oligarchy ....

Nice racket.

That has to be the worst analysis of what has happened and what is happening in this country relative to power and money that I have ever read. I have no sympathy much less empathy for such wanton ignorance.

Remember when the religious folk used to talk about the mark of the beast likeTammy whata her face? How is this not connected to that?

Go spout your simplistic nonsense to someone else.

I suspect you are here to ultimately protect those with unassailable power. Is that your gig?