Home | About | Donate

Alabama’s Effort to Suppress Black Vote Couldn’t Prevent Huge Turnout

Alabama’s Effort to Suppress Black Vote Couldn’t Prevent Huge Turnout

Rebecca Seung-Bickley

In 2017, it should not be this hard for any citizen to cast a ballot and be heard.

"The ACLU hotline had numerous complaints on Tuesday from people who were told they could not vote because they were “inactive.” They had to wait for an hour and a half to fill out the necessary paperwork to cast a regular ballot."

2018 sees Alabama state legislature elections, legislatures in which Black Alabamans are now under represented. In Alabama, as in many states, seats have often been conceded without opposition. Maybe 2018 will be different. People who want to see grass roots change should look to help candidates in these little
covered elections. Starting now.

Yes! A thousand times Yes!

On the 538 podcast I listened to this week, they said there are a ton of Democratic candidates challenging House seats in 2018 and running in local elections. I feel like they said a number, but can’t remember. Apparently that’s what things should look like if you want to take back Congress and some legislatures.

I’ll put money on it that a bunch of folks running are progressive too. Taking Jones from Alabama as a baseline, having candidates be for CHIP and Medicaid expansion as a political starting point is pretty awesome compared to the past.