Home | About | Donate

Alarm as Trump Requests Permanent Reauthorization of NSA Mass Spying Program Exposed by Snowden

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/16/alarm-trump-requests-permanent-reauthorization-nsa-mass-spying-program-exposed

I’m glad Dan Coats assures us “the NSA has suspended the spying program.” I was worried there for a second… But seriously, this president ignores the law all over the place, while the Constitutional remedy against such malfeasance is impossible to invoke, for some reason. When you don’t mind a president who ignores all constraints, what does it matter what constraints are in place?

10 Likes

In a country where the Attorney General pays one a courtesy visit before one is suicided what could possibly go wrong? “Oh come on,” says the interrogator cum executioner, “do you mean to tell me that you are not the ‘Sweetums’ to which the recently deceased suspect referred on said recording?”

4 Likes

Omidyar’s the Intercept, has shut down the Snowden archive to the public after releasing less than 10% of it. Snowden made Glen Greenwald’s carreer. Best not to trust a billionaire…

2 Likes

All the more reason to scream louder folk’s. It is up to you to make your country what it is to be, it is your country, claim it as such. Posting comments here is sticking your toe in the water. Write a blog, make phone calls, send emails. Leave a paper trail of your good intentions and desires. Let them know who it is they are dealing with, a fellow citizen.

4 Likes

Americans have to do what the French yellow-vests, and the people of Hong Kong and Puerto Rico have done.
Voting, writing comments on progressive sites, calling members of Congress–not enough, nowhere near enough.
Until we use mass strikes to shut down the Trump White House, the halls of Congress, and Trump’s hotels and golf courses, we won’t scare the tyrants enough to get our democracy back.
And remember, Nancy, Chuck and the other corporate Dems have to be purged too!

10 Likes

capitalist news is no news at all, no matter the good intentions of the reporter.

Snowden made more than Greenwald’s career. He made the Intercept commercially viable. It’s just one more rag trying to hustle a buck in an ocean of them.

2 Likes

The Joe McCarthy red scare used extraneous dots to find a plot.
Folks ruined without just cause.
Take a quick review and pause.
Need frugal better way to identify bad guy
And prevent his shooting many people.

Social media, internet, text and phone.
Monitored by key word now.

3 Likes

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

• Frederick Douglass

Just sayin

5 Likes

And poor brave but naive Ed Snowden languishes in Moscow or its environs and has to face the depressing fact he destroyed his life for naught as few in the US apparently give a damn who is surveilling them… and is now waiting for Russia to decide when they need to use him as a bargaining chip for something…

3 Likes

Are we overly tolerant as a nation, fat and lazy, or actually want more spying?
Anyone like any of those things about Americans?
This country, and many of it’s people are content to be the end result of trump’s evening burger feasts.

1 Like

Any elected rep should not/must not support any proposition from trump, most especially one labelled “permanent”! Few things are permanent and none of them should be tolerated/allowed regarding furthering alphabet spook agencies, oppression, war, environmental destruction or scotus justices.

2 Likes

Hi Ditton:
Yes I agree. I hope that News media starts putting the Trump on the spot by asking him about the Bill of Rights. I am sure they could pose questions that would let the public know that Mr… Trump has probably never even read any of the Constitution!

I also wonder abut the spy people who seem to be intent on misleading the citizenry, and trying to scare them into silence! But gosh NSA et al-----you collected all that stuff, from the citizens ----- so much stuff that it would take a million years to figure out anything! I suppose that’s why you named the site BLUFFdale. : )

3 Likes

And Chelsea and Assange are in prison, awaiting an Epstein “suicide,”
while American war criminals like Cheney, W, Rummy and others walk free and laugh.

4 Likes

I knew things were compromised at the Intercept when James Risen got on the Russiagate band wagon.

1 Like

Good to see you haven’t lost your sense of humor :)))

Chuckles and Nancy will say, “Sure, why not. We gave you 4 billion for your wall so passing a mass surveillance law makes perfect sense to us.”

3 Likes

Hi Ditton:
Yes, a sense of humor; it’s FREE and actively and continually provided from our own government! Of course, the sense of horror comes from that same government! : 0

2 Likes

2+2=5 George orwell 1984

Someone best start figuring out how to communicate securely and keep private communication private.

How does this make America great…? So who benefits from NSA spying on Americans and, everyone else, if it directs all massive data streams to Israel unfiltered…Go figure…