Home | About | Donate

'Alarming' Explosion of Toxic Pesticide Use Causing Insect Apocalypse in United States: Study

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/07/alarming-explosion-toxic-pesticide-use-causing-insect-apocalypse-united-states-study

1 Like

Note this article is more than five months old:

2 Likes

Well, the Anthropocene is about 75 years-old, and for at least 60 of those years we have had growing awareness that we were killing the Earth. Now, it’s screaming in our faces but, to those with wealth and power, it still doesn’t matter. While it’s absolutely true that we must “ban nionics to save the bees;” it’s also absolutely certain that we won’t. So, this “alarming insect apocalypse” is just another day in the collapse.

9 Likes

As a scientist, I have always been frustrated by such articles. Yes, I wholly understand that there is reason for alarm, but to throw around numbers without context frustrates me. For example, a percent reduction sans a time frame is lacking context. We need cut-and-paste graphics, properly referenced, to carry our message forward to the crowd who crow “I don’t know, I am not a scientist.” We can’t run the risk of getting Senator Snowball’s cousins involved…

2 Likes

As are the birds:

3 Likes

The perfect graph, right in their faces. The windshield of their mode of transport. Yesterday I traveled 165 miles through open desert into a city and back and nary a bug to be found on mine.

5 Likes

How will Walter White launder his meth money now?

1 Like

The main maker of Neonics is Bayer/Monsatan, tho now they have dropped the Monsatan name tag - we can help the global boycott of their products here in the US to perhaps prod them to end ALL production and ALL distribution immediately . The EU banning neonics is the path forward and we also must pressure our government and elected reps to also ban neonics!

“Bayer/Monsanto is a top Fox News advertiser and sponsor of Sean Hannity”

Bayer products include:
Bayer Aspirin
Afrin
Alka Seltzer
Aleve
Berocca vitamins
Claritin
Coppertone
Advantage flea treatment
Dr Scholls
Elevit
OneADay vitamins
Supradyn vitamins
MiraLAX laxative (many dangerous side effects)
https://althealthworks.com/16255/parents-speak-out-against-popular-anti-constipation-medicine-miralax-for-causing-neuro-psychiatric-problems-in-childrenyelena/

Their other companies and brands include many well-known names Inform yourself! Boycott them all! Most are all hyper-processed death-foods and products anyway!

• Aunt Jemima
  • Aurora Foods
  • Banquet
  • Best Foods
  • Betty Crocker
  • Bisquick
  • Cadbury
  • Campbell’s
  • Capri Sun
  • Carnation
  • Chef Boyardee
  • Coca-Cola
  • ConAgra Foods
  • Delicious Brands cookies
  • Duncan Hines
  • Famous Amos
  • Flowers Industries
  • Frito Lay
  • General Mills
  • Green Giant
  • Healthy Choice
  • Heinz
  • Hellmann’s
  • Hershey
  • Holsum
  • Hormel
  • Hungry Jack
  • Hunt’s
  • Interstate Bakeries
  • Jiffy
  • KC Masterpiece
  • Keebler
  • Kellogg’s
  • Kid Cuisine
  • Knorr
  • Kool-Aid
  • Kraft
  • Lean Cuisine
  • Lipton
  • Loma Linda Foods
  • Marie Callender’s
  • Minute Maid
  • MorningStar Farms
  • Mrs. Butterworth’s
  • Nabisco
  • Nature Valley
  • Nestlé
  • Ocean Spray
  • Ore-Ida
  • Orville Redenbacher’s
  • Pepperidge Farm
  • Pepsi
  • Philip Morris
  • Pillsbury
  • Pop Secret
  • Post cereals
  • PowerBar brand
  • Prego
  • Pringles
  • Procter & Gamble
  • Quaker
  • Ragú
  • Rice-A-Roni & Pasta Roni
  • Schweppes
  • Weight Watchers Smart Ones
  • Stouffer’s
  • Tombstone frozen pizza (how appropriate!)
  • Totino’s
  • Uncle Ben’s
  • Unilever
  • V8

https://althealthworks.com/17419/master-list-of-over-100-different-bayer-products-to-boycott-including-the-top-10-most-popular-over-the-counter-items/

6 Likes

I’m all for boycotting bad companies, but the link you give only has the first group listed.
The other, longer list I would like to see a link for.

I haven’t bought one of those products in at least ten years, maybe more… I eat ecoagriculturally…

3 Likes

I think that lists references all the products there are! Simpler to tell people to shop the perimeter of your grocery store, go to your local farmer’s market, and stay away from anything processed.

2 Likes

Perhaps these links will help.

There are more food brands owned by Monsanto than you think. We’ll tell you who they are, and why you should avoid them.

3 Likes

NPR.org has an article on how neonics travel through the food chain and kill insects downstream. It’s in a section called ‘The Salt’, and the article is titled ‘New Evidence Shows Popular Insecticide Could Cause Unintended Harm To Insects’. (The NPR article may be reporting on the same study as the Guardian article cited in Emphyrio’s post above.)

2 Likes

Great list and pleased to say i do not use any of those products except the occasional tin of heinz baked beans. (Which i will now stop) Of course many of these are not in europe. Love the tombstone pizza!!!

Again not many of those in europe but “lay’s” crisps are popular. However they have flavour enhancers or msg in the ingredients so i would never buy them. And have you noticed some writing on packets is so small you need a telescope to read them!!! They go straight back on the shelf for me!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the self report.

Stupid humans still don’t get it.

2 Likes

Peer pressure seems to be more important than the necessities of life, for many people.

1 Like

Check out this info on Bayer/Monsatan/Scotts Miracle-Gro. Corporate criminals!

4 Likes

The NPR piece you may be referencing to: " *New Evidence Shows Popular Pesticides Could Cause Unintended Harm To Insects" is typical of NPR in general. “Unitinded harm” WTF!? they are pesticides, “cide” meaning KILL. That cover-title especially is as deceptively written a load of BS as any pro-chemical conglomerate shill! - couched in the most defensive and pro-corporate terms

That NPR (National Propaganda Radio) piece ends reciting the propaganda from Bayer-Monsatan verbatim! As usual with NPR and local WNYC they are more propagandists and corporate shills than teachers.

3 Likes