Home | About | Donate

Albert Will Be Free

Albert Will Be Free

After 43 years in prison, most in solitary - for what the state said was a guard's murder he consistently vowed he didn't commit, and for what he and worldwide supporters said was his Black Panther activism - Albert Woodfox has been freed. The last of the Angola Three and a tragic symbol of what Amnesty International called "the cruelty inflicted by the prison system at its most extreme," Woodfox had his conviction overturned three times before walking free on his 69th birthday.

Makes me weep. Absolutely astounding how he maintained his humanity through decades of vicious abuse.

All power to the people, and all blessings to Albert Woodfox and the Angola Three.

Albert - I know you will enjoy the little things. Please know that we care about you and that we are so glad for you.

Albert Woodfox, your story, heartbreaking in more ways than words could capture, is an inspiration to us all. The struggle is not over. Welcome back!

I don't understand how he was kept imprisoned despite his conviction being overturned three times. Someone please enlighten me on this legal system that would allow that.

Legal? System?
Surely you jest!
;-})

The prosecution usualy are the culprits in delay.....seems they cant admit they are ever wrong.

Congratulations and Happy 69th Birthday, Albert. May the rest of your life be spent in joy.

In a just world:
Deut 19:18-21 And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;
Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.
And those which remain shall hear, and fear, and shall henceforth commit no more any such evil among you.
And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Whether it is a prosecutor, the investigating officers, prison guards, or corrupt prison officials, someone(s) needed to be consigned to spend the rest of their days in solitary confinement in Angola the way they wanted Albert to do.

As someone far more compassionate than either of us said, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
In a just world, that book you quoted would be no more important than the Book of Gilgamesh or the Book of XYZ that we no longer even know existed.