Home | About | Donate

“All I Want To Do Is Be a Normal Child and Use the Restroom in Peace.”

Joshua Block

A few minutes ago, we filed our opening brief in our appeal of Gavin’s case to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. I wrote about Gavin’s case last July, when we argued on behalf of Gavin in federal court in Norfolk, Virginia. I was proud to stand with Gavin then, and I’m even prouder to stand with him today.

Using that law as the basis for this case would also allow any boy or man for that matter to use the women's washrooms. Isn't that what no discrimination on the basis of sex means?

What a silly fuss from the complaining parents!!!!! A bathroom is a bathroom.

Why are children have sex change operations at that age?

Gavin has not had gender confirmation surgery. He is 16 and gender confirmation surgery cannot be done until one is 18. He has socially transitioned and begun hormone replacement therapy, which can be done at his age. Younger children cannot begin hormone replacement therapy, but they can have puberty blockers so they don't go through the puberty contrary to their identified gender. That is totally reversible, so when they are of age they can either choose to go through the puberty associated with their assigned gender at birth or the gender they have been identifying with.

So - do they peer into people's pants in order to decide who is what ? I wish for each of them that feel that is appropriate that they should also have THEIR pants peered into - and then if anyone has strange sex apparatus thru no fault of their own (heaven forbid you are born with some kind of 'deficiency') ?
Maybe the problem is because of the design of boy's bathrooms - if they only had single person cubicles instead of urinals this would not be a problem?

From the comments, it doesn't seem as if the readers consider this to be a serious issue. Perhaps we need some more educational articles to help understand this issue that seems to be new to many of us.

Huh?!! Since when is being a 16 year old transgender child considered "normal"?
For instance, LibWingofLibWing adds:
"Younger children cannot begin hormone replacement therapy, but they can
have puberty blockers so they don't go through the puberty contrary to
their identified gender."
This is "normal"?!
"That is totally reversible, so when they are of age they can either
choose to go through the puberty associated with their assigned gender
at birth or the gender they have been identifying with."
This is "normal"?!
And let me add a correction on the above quote. Gender (as in whether every cell in an unborn infants body has either two "x" chromosomes (female) or an "x" and a "y" chromosome (male) occurs at conception not at birth. Why do you think pregnant couples go to have ultra sound scans? They are seeking to identify (before birth) the gender of their developing child.
The tragedy of people like Gavin Grimm who cannot accept their given gender is great enough (and an indictment against any society that tolerates such behavior as "normal") without some stunt lawyer turning it into a federal case.

All "normal" means is the norm, the common, what currently prevails. "Normal" has zero to do with good, or right, or true. Slavery is normal, beheading is normal, wearing a particular kind of hat is normal, depending on the society. The norms of gender that used to prevail in US society are being upended. This is a good thing.

In most cases gender is assigned at birth based on genitals. Sometimes it is assigned earlier based on genitals using ultra sound.

But identified gender is not always congruent with the genitals, research has shown that it is based on brain structure. But we don't see this as easily as looking at a baby's groin. A small number of people do not have a gender identity congruent with the assigned gender based on their genitals.

Your definition of "normal" still makes my point that whatever else Gavin Grimm's situation may be, it is not "normal". My comment had nothing to do with "good" or "bad" only with "normal" or "abnormal".

Gender is determined by the structure of an infant's chromosomes which occurs at conception and developes in utero prior to birth. Every cell from hair to fingernails, to blood has the same chromosome structure. Gender is not some style statement that someone decides, it is woven into the biology of our body chemistry.
Caitlyn Jenner still has an xy chromosome identity in all the cells that make up his/her body's cells.
Gavin Grimm will still make cells with two x chromosomes no matter how much cosmetic surgery or hormone supplements alter her/his appearance.