Home | About | Donate

"All I'm Trying To Do Is Go Home": Stopped for Jaywalking, Bodycam Footage Shows Police Harass, Choke, and Beat Black Man

"All I'm Trying To Do Is Go Home": Stopped for Jaywalking, Bodycam Footage Shows Police Harass, Choke, and Beat Black Man

Jake Johnson, staff writer

After months of investigations by both state and federal officials, the city of Asheville, North Carolina on Tuesday finally released bodycam footage showing police offers brutally beating, choking, and stunning a black man they accused of jaywalking in August of last year.

While walking home from a shift at the local Cracker Barrel, Johnnie Rush was stopped by several police officers for allegedly crossing the street without using the crosswalk.

2 Likes

I just can’t deal with this anymore. It never ends.

4 Likes

When Hickman is found guilty and goes to prison be sure he goes to gen pop since the other prisoners do love them some white cop meat! :yum:

1 Like

On and on and on… what a sick sick country full of hate and racism… smh

4 Likes

At least the Asheville Police Dept. can be credited with firing this cop and issuing an assault charge against him. But then, this is Asheville, the Marin County of the Appalachians. The cop would have gotten a medal in most other parts of North Carolina.

4 Likes

I was about to call Asheville the Portland Oregon of the Appalachians. Good thing I didn’t. Portland apparently is worse…

Another day in the USA. Remember folks - we pay the salaries and benefits of these police. They apparently don’t respect that fact and that we have a higher standard for our community than they do. This has got to stop!!!

3 Likes

You make an important point about the forums, and how almost every forum on any MSM is dominated by right wing hate on any story regarding police brutality, and frankly just about everything else as well.

Such comments on forums have been common for a long time, but in the age of Trump such comments are now dominating such forums.

And this cultural shift, the emboldening of right wing hate intentionally by Trump to gain power, is incredibly dangerous.

And that’s where we are at. An unleashed right wing White Nationalist movement, and a President who is absolutely committed to wringing every bit of power he can from them, because he is one of them obviously.

Those on the left who still dismiss the unique danger that Trump represents in this regard, are blind.

By the way, been to any of RT forums lately? Their forums are just chock full of right wing hate. RT will scrub comments critical of Trump, not all such comments, but I’ve had many scrubbed the instant I post them. But the comments that NEVER get scrubbed are by right wing Trump supporters spouting hate against Jews, women, blacks, Mexicans, Muslims, ad nauseum.

4 Likes

They still represent a minority view point although they have a lot of power and basically control over our government. We are being controlled by a vicious minority filled with hate. The main objective of the power mongers is to divide the people among themselves so that they have no united power for good. They are too busy fighting over things that might divide them when they could be uniting over the common good. The danger is that the venom of the haters can be perceived as acceptable or even normal if it goes unchallenged and somehow seems mainstream. I hope people have more personal integrity than to be swayed by whatever comments they come across. That is the problem with the msm - it is almost a form of mind control with the same messages being repeated over and over - ad naseum.

1 Like

And of course, don’t dare criticize Putin either.

What I find troubling is that I used to like RT, it had lots of good feature reporting about a lot of social-political and environmental issues - its reporters had a lot of autonomy to write critically as long as it wasn’t Fox style right wing nonsense. It seemed very similar to the kind of reporting one sees on other state-owned, but open-minded media like Al Jazeera English and the BBC.

So the question is - did I change, or did RT change?

1 Like

This sickness is spreading.

The Trumpublicans are enabling law enforcement to take the Law in their own hands.

Before they generate a race war, We must identify those who are selling Hatred as law enforcement.

4 Likes

I’m on the same page. I used to tune into Abby Martin’s show and after she left didn’t really check them out that much.

Started checking them out again during the campaign, and noticed the editorial bent toward Trump.

Downhill from there. They changed methinks.

1 Like

Police state brutality - cops “trained” to commit brutal acts as standard operating procedure, like the “take-down”, condoned by the establishment and covered-up by the “blue wall of silence” in all but the most egregious (and videoed) examples! Yeah, let me smash you face down to the pavement “real quick” - fuckin pigs!

You see, cops are taught to create/instigate/incite a response from their victims. When you are smashing a persons face into the pavement they will use their hands to protect their face - they cannot “put their hands behind their back” - exactly as cops intend - cops screaming orders that confuse and are often contradictory is another method - all used to “justify” violence against ordinary victims of their depraved indifference!

Arrests are necessary and used to gain promotions, not good respectful or helpful behavior! “Protect and serve” my ass!

The public of any age are used as punching-bags by depraved cops that apparently enjoy their positions of authority and rapidly exercise their indifference to the lives of others - the people that they work for - a fact that has been ignored and forgotten by the police!

ONLY when good cops demand accountability of brutal/killer cops and end the culture of police violence and unreasonable brutal treatment of citizens will things maybe begin to change - brutal and killer cops must be run-out of the force, and if not, WHY not?!

4 Likes

What a crock. Prove that bit of malarkey. Jaywalking charges and cops: statistics please.

1 Like

Portland has its serious problems with policing, no doubt. We just don’t sweep our problems into the millions of square feet of abandoned buildings in the area; ya know, like you can. It’s not like Pittsburgh, Penn., where Trump won, isn’t immune to police violence. My guess is the potholes are so cavernous in Pennsyltucky, no one dare jaywalk.

The appropriate response to somebody jaywalking is the cop coming up to them and telling them “dont do that, use the cross walk next time” not beating them.

3 Likes

Really painful to watch –

Sadly, Hickman wasn’t capable of showing some human compassion to Johnnie Rush
at any point. Notice as the conversation goes on between them, you see no cars moving
on the roadway at that time of night. It’s also sad that Rush wasn’t aware of the danger he
was in and that there would be NO allowances granted him for any reason. And very much
hope that he wins a large lawsuit and the officer spends time in jail for this.

Hickman resigned in January just before being fired for violating the Asheville Police Department’s use-of-force policy. He is currently facing several charges, including felony assault by strangulation.

All charges against Rush were ultimately dropped.

This has been going on since some progress was made in Civil Rights for AA’s
and probably since “Segregation” was overturned in the South – simply about
putting AA’s in jail and brutalizing them whenever possible.

Like “Segregation,” violence and brutality and imprisonment are the control keys.

– but we should also note that for decades we’ve seen this police brutality also
going on generally across the US as racist (and sexist) attacks/harassment by
police generally of people of color – but also noticeably against women, as well –
continue to increase as a way to continue the depowering of people of color and
women.

And it will continue as long as racist and sexist leaders can hire police who will
carry out their racist and sexist programs for them.

We actually had a Letter to the Editor recently from a citizen who wants to STOP
law suits where police are held responsible for this kind of racist harassment.
Failed to get the point, obviously.

5 Likes

Abby Martin is hot.

Actually, you description of Pittsburgh is about 20-30 years out of date. There are not a whole lot of abandoned buildings left. It is now a hopping high tech town of exploding real estate prices under an onslaught of tech geek yuppie millenials. Under the leadership of our progressive libertarian tech-geek loving mayor Peduto, we have Google, Uber, and maybe soon, Amazon. A veritable mini-San Francisco.

And Trump only got about 20 percent of the vote (Hillary, 75%) in Pittsburgh. It is in the outlying counties that that they all love Trump - no different than Oregon.

We also now have more brepubs and microbreweries than all of Oregon.

But yeah, the streets are full of potholes this time of year - but that’s the case everywhere in the NE quarter of the US - its from too much winter road-salt use.

1 Like

Ah, nice spin. You should do it professionally. Trump got 39-40% in Oregon so, by all means, feel free to move about our entire state.:wink: