Home | About | Donate

All We're Asking Is to Let Us Live: Stop the Money Pipeline Now

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/06/12/all-were-asking-let-us-live-stop-money-pipeline-now

2 Likes

Reverend, it seems to me that it’s our nation’s black Americans
who hold in truth to the Christian message: yours for the
creation, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for mankind, and Rodney
King (1991), “can we all just get along,” to the nation’s
militarized police.

2 Likes

Well said, Reverend. Like my long gone Boston who would clamp down and not let go, you let them know that you will be back based on a principle grounded in existentialism. Beautiful messaging!

3 Likes

Mario Savio (referenced by Rev. Lennox Yearwood Jr.) speaking from the steps of Sproul Hall, 12/2/1964:

We were told the following: If President Kerr actually tried to get something more liberal out of the regents in his telephone conversation, why didn’t he make some public statement to that effect? And the answer we received, from a well-meaning liberal, was the following: He said, “Would you ever imagine the manager of a firm making a statement publicly in opposition to his board of directors?” That’s the answer!

Well, I ask you to consider: If this is a firm, and if the board of regents are the board of directors, and if President Kerr in fact is the manager, then I’ll tell you something. The faculty are a bunch of employees, and we’re the raw material! But we’re a bunch of raw materials that don’t mean to be—have any process upon us. Don’t mean to be made into any product. Don’t mean… Don’t mean to end up being bought by some clients of the University, be they the government, be they industry, be they organized labor, be they anyone! We’re human beings!

There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part! You can’t even passively take part! And you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels… upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you’ve got to make it stop! And you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!

4 Likes

Thanks Aleph. I have the last paragraph plastered on my wall. I had never seen the whole statement before.

3 Likes

I have a niece enrolled in the same corporate-tool factory today. She thinks maybe things are changing, but it’s still awful, she told me, using an interesting phrase: “internalized misogyny.” Sigh…

2 Likes

It is refreshing to see the solidarity that is expressed all over the world to Black Americans in lieu of the George Floyd death. People of all races rose up in condemnation of police brutality and much else in America.
I am Black, but thankfully not American.
Let me say something that isn’t talked about but may cause a few heads to explode.
Black Americans make up 12-13% of the total American population but make up >20% of the military!
They are sent all over the world to fight people who are NOT our enemies!!!
Do Black Americans know who their enemies are?
Were Vietnamese, Cambodians, Laotians, South East Asians our enemies?
Mohammed Ali had to give up his Olympic medal for refusing to fight in Viet Nam.
He said " I ain’t got no quarrel with no Viet Cong. No Viet Cong ever called me nigger".
Are there other Mohammed Alis out there? If so would you stand up and refuse to serve the American imperium?
Are Afghans, Iraqis, Syrians, Iranians, Palestinians, Yemenis, Bolivians, Venezuelans our enemies?
The violence visited on other black, brown, non-white peoples over the world is the same violence visited on Black Americans.
We have the same enemy-the occupant of the White house, even when that half-white fellow called Obama was there!
Many of those people "over there’ are showing solidarity with you, Black Americans. It is time you returned the favour.
The greatest “service” that you can do for yourselves and others is this: Do your part to end the Evil Empire!

2 Likes