Home | About | Donate

Amazon Extends Tentacles Further With Purchase of Whole Foods

Amazon Extends Tentacles Further With Purchase of Whole Foods

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Online behemoth Amazon is acquiring Austin-based Whole Foods Market for $13.7 billion, the companies announced Friday—a development that watchdogs say will pad billionaire pockets and spell bad news for consumers.

http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/news/releases/study-state-local-governments-have-given-amazon-warehouses-241-million-2015

Food deserts. Did you find everything you were looking for? How's your day going today? https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170614/north-lawndale/fake-corner-store-tv-show-set/?utm_source=Afternoon+News&utm_campaign=0c023e3c99-Mailchimp-CHI&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5cf48fa38c-0c023e3c99-177181385

The rumor of the sale persisted for several months. No surprise. The monopolists are roaming. Rather like Monsanto who intends to be the sole seller of seeds. One can see that Amazon, which is really a shipping company, wants to get a bunch of close-in distribution centers, and will use them to stock their home delivery service. For the elderly, like me, could be a good deal. I just go to the computer and stock up. The stuff comes. Who needs a car? What we do require is regulation. A market with no regulation can suck the blood out of everyone of us. We need the Federals to set up a system where the profits are regulated. For a grocery store, that number should be 5%. More than that, the stores need to be required to lower prices. Without some controls the temptation will be to sell bread for $100/loaf. I suspect the real question now is the interaction with Amazon and Costco. There is no question that Costco has lower prices because they make their bucks selling memberships. Costco is also starting an aggressive home delivery program. Cost just $10 for an order. Obviously it is cheaper to do one big order than two smaller orders. However by you get that car of the picture, much of that ten bucks is paid for by savings in not using your car, which tends to cost about fifty cents a mile if you do the math correctly. Without regulation? Start a garden.

Another Whole Paycheck move. Boycotting sounds like a plan. If Amazon buys Uber & Lyft; will urban hipsters finally get their New Mommies to make and bring them their lunches, when they aren't telecommunicating from their special places, in $1200 pajamas?

The government is not going to regulate this. It would be better to set up a delivery service with a local grocery in your area. I agree, start a garden!

I don't shop at Whole Foods, and I don't buy much from Amazon. I will continue to shop at my local grocery store. I want to touch and look at what I eat before I buy it, and I never get everything from one place.

I don't want to live in a culture where all we do is work 14 hours a day and then come home and do our socializing and shopping online, so we can work even more for our Corporate Masters.

It is plainly obvious that we should have anti-trust laws that would prevent the creation of virtual monopolies by giant corporations that are 'too big to compete with!

Um? Wait a minute! We already have anti-trust laws to prevent those monopolies ...right?

Odd how lawmakers do not enforce our laws when they don't want to (deep pockets of mega-corporation's lobbyists and campaign funding?) but insist on draconian jail sentences for those unable to afford competent legal counsel because it is the law.

Ask Microsoft about anti-trust laws.

Oh, sure, but if you're really cool you'll only shop at Whole Foods Prime.

My anonymous sources tell me The NY Times is in secret negotiations with Trader Joe's.

We had this happen where I live. The empty and boarded-up storefronts on Brownsville Road in the Pittsburgh neighborhood of Carrick suddenly became mom and pop stores - for just a week, in order to film a movie...

STOP SHOPPING! NOW, OR NEVER. Boycott. Buy Food Co-op, small farm, farmer-based food.

Rethinking the meaning of traditional economics - what exactly is Economic Complexity and the role of diversity ? MIT's César A. Hidalgo, author of The Atlas of Economic Complexity with
Hausmann Economic Complexity In a Nutshell: Chapter 1 - first of a series of 2 minute quickies - co-author w/Hidalgo

Amazon is just one of several that reflect the truly bad karma now of American business. Companies selling things that many people never asked for nor wanted. I don't need overnight delivery for every damn consumer good I need-clothes, books, etc. Probably most people like it. They don't have to work for the company either..
Same goes for the plethora of smart phones. Walmart selling crap and instructing it's employees on how to apply for food stamps. A new Apple watch.
When I was a kid in the 60's, yes, it was totally consumerist. But at least (generally) we were sold stuff we wanted, or needed, or hopefully both. This is madness and it is evil. People like Bezos can drop dead for all I care--he certainly is pushing his employees to do so. America may regret all of this quite bitterly in the long run. One company, one store, one choice.. Obey.

When you shop local mom and pop shops, the money circulates in the local community. When you shop at at chain store, the profits go back to Bentonville, AR or wherever corporate headquarters is and then into some foreign bond or other unproductive investment. One of the reasons small town America has disappeared is the advent of WalMart and Pizza Hut and McDonald's sucking the cash out of town.

Additionally, I have found that people who open an independent restaurant care about food, whereas people who open a chain restaurant care about money.

The Justice Department stopped enforcing the Sherman Anti-Trust Act under Reagan. Unfortunately, our moderate republican presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama never saw fit to restart these efforts. A great way to invigorate the economy is to break-up these monopolies and let small independent businesses have a least a chance to fill the gap.

Won't be buying ANYTHING from Amazon nor Whole Foods. Monopolies aren't being stopped by the Sherman Anti-trust Act? Well, we don't have to buy from either, either!

Oh, the irony. Seems like nothing is "real" anymore.

Yes, that would be great; however, in Koch controlled RED States, they have already passed laws that prevent small businesses from operating. It'll get worse...they started with small farmers here.