Home | About | Donate

Amazon Gives to End Homelessness? That’s Rich.

Amazon Gives to End Homelessness? That’s Rich.

Laura Flanders

They call it Giving Tuesday, and we’ve just marked the seventh annual this week. It’s supposed to kick off a season of charitable giving, but the way some corporate robber barons use it for public relations is enough to turn your stomach.

Jeff’s PR folks said it would be a good idea. His accountants cranked their spreadsheets to determine the cost (the “charity”) vs. the benefits (lessening of adverse public sentiment) and came up with the right amount to “give”. Bezos does nothing without adherence to the bottom line. He is the number one greedy fuck on the planet for now. Wait until he meets the proverbial eye of the needle.

5 Likes

A book, 'Nomadland; Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century, by Jessica Bruder, referred to me by mealouts here on CD, is an interesting read, that includes much about Amazon, such as their ‘CamperForce Program’, I doubt most would know, as I didn’t until I read the book.

I suggest it, If you want to be even more disgusted.

1 Like

I’m reminded of that famous photo of John D. Rockefeller smiling as he hands a dime to a little black boy (no doubt JDR itemized that deduction for tax purposes).

More than once, I heard an adult relative enter the house from a howling nor’easter, saying, “It’s colder than charity out there.”

4 Likes

If Jeff Bezos gave all of his reported 137.6 billion dollars (reported net worth November 2018) to end homelessness, he would still have his utterly disgusting income to gloat over… for example, it grew by 6.28 billion on this cyber-Monday. If he also gave 6.279 billion of his income from Monday, he still would have had a one day income, on Monday, of a million dollars. Um… UMMMM!!! And this is not even considering the fact that he will continue to gain more nt worth every day than most people make in, say, a year… 20 years… a lifetime?

1 Like

Greenwashing isn’t even necessary for Bezos. The masses will flock to his online paradise of convenience and low prices without it. Hey, look at me–I’m on the internet!

1 Like

Speaking of Real Estate prices and just to demonstrate how fundamentally corrupt this system called the Free Market is.

Vancouver Canada has some of the highest Real Estate prices in North America. Single family detached homes can run 1 million easily. A report was issued several years ago and only recently revealed that this escalation in prices was due to Money Laundering by Criminal enterprises. People would arrive with suitcases of cash , offer extraordinary amounts for a home , then sell the home at a latter date for profit now able to declare this money as legitimate proceeds of Real Estate sales to their respective Governments. In the time period this was going on , (at least a decade) , incomes rose about 26 percent while House prices escalated by 119 percent.

Governments were collecting revenues via higher property taxes and transfer taxes on the homes so they all remained silent on it. As house prices rose peoples borrowed ever more money to buy those homes and in order to keep those prices propped up , Governments looked the other way when those Money Launderers were working their magic. With all of those monies borrowed , if housing drops back to normal levels as this proceeds from crime money starts to look elsewhere , many homeowners face seeing home prices dropped even as they have debt that vastly exceeds the value of that house.

It a fricking mess. This dirty money is not just in real estate either as billions flow into the stock market as well.

Isn’t Capitalism grand!?

1 Like

Noblesse obliging themselves

1 Like

I’ve never used Amazon, so I am wondering—do they sell refrigerators? Because if they do, then I’m sure that Mr. Bezos will make sure that those big refrigerator boxes will go to the people in NYC and Virginia who are about to be made homeless-----he’ll give each one a big cardboard box so they have somewhere to rest before their shift at Amazon. I’m sure that will be a nice charitable write off for him.

2 Likes

Yeah but Tom, I don’t understand why you can’t understand. It just isn’t enough. The poor guy just has to have it all. To change pace here, I wonder…do people like Bezos, Pete Peterson, Charles and David Koch, Donald Trump, et al ever venture out during thunderstorms or do they worry about being struck by lightning?

“Mr. Bezos will make sure that those big refrigerator boxes will go to the people in NYC and Virginia who are about to be made homeless-----he’ll give each one a big cardboard box so they have somewhere to rest before their shift at Amazon. I’m sure that will be a nice charitable write off for him.”

I wonder if he could go overboard with his generosity and give each box owner a Sharpie marker so they can write their new address on their box? Nah, the cost of the marker will be deducted from their pay. Address recording devices are quite expensive so certainly he will break the payroll deduction down into twelve monthly payments of $25/month.

Oh aussidawg----oh, I just thought of something----maybe he will see that idea and decided to SELL the boxes( but each comes with an INDELIBLE magic marker-----because if they don’t have an address they won’t be able to vote in a lot of places—OR receive anything from Amazon So then he can say he helps democracy. : )

1 Like