Home | About | Donate

Amazon's Major Money Dump in Seattle's City Council Election Panned as 'Dangerous and Ominous Development'

So - if I gave $20 to Bernie’s campaign a few months ago when 20 candidates were in the race, Bernie would have been required to forward the $20 to the “fund”, he would get one dollar back, and one dollar would go to each of the other candidates - Sleepy Joe, Mayor Peat, Billionaire Yang, Hickenlooper, Beto, Klobuchar, Tulsi, Gravel, Lizzy, plus ten others.

What am I missing here?

1 Like

Let us look at U.S. Steel owning Gary Indiana for at least 70 years - til about 1965.
Their operations in Ohio and Pennsylvania also controlled the local zoning, which kept other factories out so they would not lose their skilled trades workers. Laborers they never cared about. Salary, they never cared about. Local schools- they never cared about.

So, I only view Amazon controlling their home turf. They do not want to pay $15.00 per hour, provide fringe benefits or be a civic leader for good. That is not the corporate mission. making massive profits is. fix it by taxing them.

4 Likes

“Citizens United” – this isn’t about citizens, it should be Corporations United.

But it’s fascism by the fascist five on the Supreme Court –

When is someone going to ask them to PROVE that corporations are people?

They can’t vote –
They can’t eat –
They don’t breathe –
And they surely don’t go to jail!

4 Likes

we’re not going to be allowed to vote our way to a better world.

3 Likes

It would probably be best if Egan and Alex were to resign.

2 Likes

We in Va. were really worried for awhile. We sneaked by the smallest of margins.

Dear SC John Roberts, Please read “Democracy in Chains”. Then suggest to the other four conservatives to read it. I think it would do wonders for one’s outlook.

2 Likes

Edward, the first Baron Thurlow (1731-1806), British parliamentarian, once said “Corporations have neither bodies to be punished, nor souls to be condemned; therefore they do as they like.”

2 Likes

Also, corporations used to “die” after the purpose for which they were chartered, such as building a road or dredging a canal, was achieved–but now, under current law, they’re immortal.

2 Likes

Every time I see Amazon’s symbol on their boxes, I see a middle finger disguised as a penis saying SCREW YOU!

1 Like

Amazon and its owner Bezos are the enemy of freedom and democracy. Those who vote for them with their dollar or their ballot are responsible for subverting our democracy. Wake up people!

1 Like

Our supposedly judicial (i.e. not political or ideological) Supreme Court has graciously enlightened us so as to know that “money is speech”. We are to believe that this money dump is just Amazon exercising it’s right to free speech, not drowning out ours. Such a pity we don’t have judicial ability and a commitment to democracy (government by the people) on this Court. Mitch McConnell is determined to make it less juridical, stacking it with enemies of democracy and lackeys to plutocracy…

2 Likes

true but we need to act. We need to set a precedent and a warning for future stooges that they need to think hard about it

This is precisely why we need to take private money completely out of all elections in the US and move to public financing of all elections.

3 Likes

No, ideally, individual private campaign donations would be illegal. All campaign money should be provided by the state election systems and each candidate would receive the same amount of money. TV, radio and print advertising would also be equally divided and publically funded. If individuals wish to volunteer their individual time and effort to candidates of their choice that would be the populist difference maker. But everything else would be considered illegal political donations and would be criminal offenses.

1 Like

Interestingly, Amazon’s money and the Chamber of Commerce money appear to have lost the day as more votes have now come in. Kudos to Seattle’s voters.

2 Likes

drone –

Right – at the minimum, we need to overturn Electoral College, vote in RANKED
VOTING – and un-invent the dollar bill which can buy people, elections, governments.
And likely much more that we can only guess at.

There’s no converting these fascists in my opinion –
Chief Justice was a reward for Roberts for his fascist rally to stop the vote counting
in 2000/Miami-Dade county mandated by Florida State Supreme Court. And it
succeeded.

Ask yourself why it was so important for them to get two perverts on the SC?

Only Impeachment would have any meaning to any of them.

1 Like

Thank you, Guild –

“Corporations have neither bodies to be punished, nor souls to be condemned; therefore they do as they like.”

1 Like

PCC is better anyway.