Home | About | Donate

Amd GOP Assault on Safety Net, Trump's HUD Secretary Says Poverty Mostly a 'State of Mind'

I meant to say “in its country and in underdeveloped countries”

Dr. Carson one Interesting strange dude. Just imagine, use your mind, “The Power of Suggestion.” I am rich, I am rich, I am rich, I am rich, then you are. A state of mind!

Hello Psychedelic Chicken, Thank you for putting forth this vital distinction. I needed make clear that the people I refer to as lacking character-in this context- are the sociopaths. The people I refer to are those like Carson whose motto in life basically states that they have theirs and the hell with everyone else. The people you portray in your reply are outside of those I refer to here. My condolences to you for the tragedy of those you have lost and may you and yours - along with all of us - always be able to find the way out of the dark times and be well.

The OED couldn’t give a f*&^ how Carson, or any other politician, defines any word. Thank goodness there is still objectivity in the science of words.

As we know from 1984, once you own the words, then you own their minds.

1. poverty (noun)
    the state of being poor
    *conditions of abject/extreme poverty
    *to alleviate/relieve poverty
    *Many elderly people live in poverty.
    https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/poverty

This guy thinks the pyramids of Egypt were meant to store grain. Remember that?

“You take somebody that has the right mindset, you can take everything from them and put them on the street and I guarantee in a little while they’ll be right back up there,”
“And you take somebody with the wrong mindset, you can give them everything in the world, they’ll work their way right back down to the bottom,”

The state of mind part was probably the wrong choice of words. He’s dead on with the last part tho. All that was pretty obvious in Eastern Europe in the past century. When the Communist dictatorships began, everybody was made equal(ly miserable). However as time passed the same people rose to the top, (the ones that survived the purges anyway).

1989 when communism was finally more or less wiped out, same thing happened. The ones that were losers before were losers after.

I guess you could call it a state of mind. some people are just wired for success, others are not. It’s in the genes most likely.

Bullshit.

Well, there’s probably some amount of truth to the notion that there are certain personalities that are more likely to succeed. People who are driven and people who are intelligent are surely more likely to succeed.

But that isn’t “a mindset” and it’s certainly not the only thing that matters.

Won’t get far there-Carson considers them “immigrants.” With what the “cheap seats?”

Ben Carson ushered in his tenure as secretary of Housing and Urban Development by suggesting that Africans brought to the Americas during the Middle Passage as slaves were “immigrants” who imagined the US as a “land of dreams and opportunity”.

“That’s what America is about,” Carson said. “A land of dreams and opportunity. …

Enslaved Africans were, of course, not immigrants, and were transported in the cramped, disease-infested holds of ships while shackled stationary as property of “new world” and European corporations.

hahaha. Why are so many republican leaders so determined to prove to the world that education in the US is woefully inadequate.

Each time I read one of these it reminds me of this quote: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. A Lincoln

" Won’t get far there-Carson considers them “immigrants.”

And he’s not the only one:

" Certainly, it wasn’t easy for those of African heritage who had not come here voluntarily and yet in their own way were immigrants themselves"

Carson is probably right for a very small percentage of people who defy all parameters and conditions surrounding them, which may actually be a characteristic biochemical or metabolic type, such as a form of schizophrenia where the person, usually highly intelligent, is persistently silly and can ignore harsh things occurring in their environment, life, and world. But for the 95% or more who live in the surroundings they are physically present in because they have not seen or been treated to anything else, guess what they see, breathe, eat, find, feel, learn, hear, etc? The bootstrap argument or free fall social descent will be limited to a relative few who defy the Bell Curve bunching of behavior.

As I said over 10 years ago,

“He would rises far above or falls far below society’s standards will be persecuted”

Does…does that ring a bell, Ben? .It doesn’t exactly prove your point, does it? Being a Christian, you’d think he’d remember…

Since Dr. Carson was a physician, he might also have had occasion to meet some harder luck folks who probably have had very few healthy or luxuriant, splendid, succulent, free meals in their life. Under such conditions how is someone expected to achieve hormonal health and the ebullient brain function that require so many more nutrients than even many well-to-do Americans often get and that high-achieving usually requires.

Carson’s statement actually proves the opposite point, how ill-gotten or inherited fortunes and silver-spooned spotless records create arrogant and disconnected people who become the rich & entitled, who forget where we come from originally…,nature, by golly, right with the animals, and from the plants and soil. Without them, we’re (you’re) nothing, Ben. Nothing. Please tweet that to God so He and Donald can join in the discussion…

That is simply appalling, really it is. What is it with Carson and Obama? Must be a case of the “Affluenza.”

I do not know how anyone can call unwilling prisoners yanked from their families and out of their homelands to be sold as property as “immigrants.” An immigrant is normally understood to be someone that willingly immigrates to another country.

Slaves were chattel. Slavery was a violent system of conquest and domination. Africans were kidnapped in the interior of the continent, marched to the coastline and packed in vessels like inanimate cargo. Some never left the ships alive because of inhospitable conditions on board. The “Middle Passage,” as it was called, was a deeply alienating journey into hell. These were one-way voyages with no chance of return.