Home | About | Donate

America’s Criminal Injustice System

America’s Criminal Injustice System

Judith Coburn

Once upon a time, I was a journalist, covering war in Indochina, Central America, and the Middle East. I made it my job to write about the victims of war, the "civilian casualties." To me, they were hardly "collateral damage," that bloodless term the military persuaded journalists to adopt. To me, they were the center of war. Now, I work at home and I’m a private eye -- or P.I. to you.

Thanks so very much Judith Coburn, Bless You! These prosecutors nationwide need to start facing prison time, there damn selves when they get caught for their back handed illegal ways, withholding evidence, and on, and on, and other B.S. When a prosecutor is doing 20 years solid in the big house, for their illegal games, and etc. they play with peoples lives, the message will be sent; however, Larry said it best," It ain't just, but that's how they do".

Many fine and humane insights in this article.

And she concluded:

"This case tells everyone, white and black, guilty and innocent, that an officer can verify your legal status at any time. It says that your body is subject to invasion while courts excuse the violation of your rights. It implies that you are not a citizen of a democracy but the subject of a carceral state, just waiting to be catalogued.

“We must not pretend that the countless people who are routinely targeted by police are 'isolated.' They are the canaries in the coal mine whose deaths, civil and literal, warn us that no one can breathe in this atmosphere."

Add in the NDAA, the Surveillance Drift-net placed over all citizens, and other inversions of former Constitutional Protections and it might be better said that in today's climate of inverted justice, one is considered GUILTY until proven Innocent (if not shot down in the process of establishing the latter).

Bullet the blue sky

Only five comments so far in these hours regarding the vividly described "Oakland's war zones." Any ideas on how to conduct police work in these zones?

The only certain answer is to put money into reforming those zones so they aren't so awful. The right wing view is that police should "get tougher" so those who are stuck in those zones that are so full of fear and hopelessness that people who live there will be too afraid of the police, too scared to behave criminally -- that's not right, it's wrong. The tougher law enforcement tries to be, the harder and more ruthless those tempted to go in for crime will be.