Home | About | Donate

American Concentration Camps

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/27/american-concentration-camps

3 Likes

Thank you Robert, for you just gave me my vision for the day–a genuine debate between AOC and the spawn of Dick Cheney, aka the Wicked Witch of the West.

2 Likes

Liz Cheney demonstrates just how the concentration camps evolve into death camps.

Keep saying it is politically incorrect to compare a current situation, no matter how bad it gets, to the Nazi situation, either because it downplays how evil the Nazis were or because it’s callous to the Jews, and you, too, will eventually wind up at that same point.

3 Likes

We’re not quite there yet, but

“While Matthew Hale has not yet threatened to exterminate anyone,” the panel majority wrote, “history tells us that extermination is sometimes not far behind when governmental power is held by persons of his racial views.”

1 Like

The first wave of popular disgust over the torture of migrant children, leading the news broadcasts on all the networks, was more than a year ago. Since then we have regular waves, then they die down. The trajectory is normalization of concentration/death camps. “But this is not who we are!” we hear declaimed from the minarets, until attention pivots to the next spectacle.

1 Like

Sorry, they are already Republican Death Camps

3 Likes

Trump: “These aren’t people. These are animals.”

Giovanna: Speak for yourself, ass hole.

3 Likes

Trump has managed to expose the hellish conditions and the ripped-apart families to the world.

Ask any Native American about family separation…

Hey Liz, do yourself a favor and us all by informing yourself of the fact that Hitler got the idea of concentration camps from the US American “reservations”,a.k.a. concentration camps, of indigenous people.

2 Likes

The treatment of these refugees, especially the children, are more than outrageous. Trump is violating human rights and violating standards of care left and right. He has violated so many human rights laws its uncanny. My hope for this motherfucker is nothing less than U.S. Marshall’s waiting outside the Oval Office doors with handcuffs waiting to take him to Leavenworth for the rest of his life. Of course a court ordained trip to the gallows for war crimes and crimes against humanity would be fine as well.

1 Like

I live here on the border. It’s only a short step from dying in a camp from substandard conditions to dying in a camp by design.

1 Like

Animals are more decent human beings than is Donald Trump.

2 Likes

Just as example of the origins of “Concentration Camps” look to the British Empire using them in South Africa during the Boer war. Lord Kichener started rounding up women and children and locking them in these camps , surmising that the men woudl stop fighting if all their women and children locked away. Over the duration of their use some 50000+ died inside those Concentration camps. That is one of the earliest times the word came into usage.

These families were taken against their will. They were forcibly put on ox wagons and open railway trucks and taken to the camps. They were not, as Rees-Mogg claimed, moved for their protection and safety. Nor were they moved to the camps to be fed. Rather, their internment had everything to do with ending the resistance of Boers still fighting the British.

AOC is being pilloried in the right wing media for referring to this camps as “Concentration Camps” Her use of the word is 100 percent correct. Mr trump has stated clearly that he wishes to make life as difficult as possible for refugees coming to the USA so as to ensure they stop coming or leave.

I wish people would distinguish between “death camps” and “extermination camps.” I am presently reading Viktor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning. It has taken me 10-20 years to get past the introduction, and I have a pretty strong stomach. Frankl makes it clear that by the time the extermination camps–the ones with gas chambers–were up and running, death from starvation and brutal working conditions was the norm in almost all of the camps. I have no reason to doubt the claims that all such efforts to isolate and dehumanize the feared or hated Other take this same course. People have been dying in Trump’s camps since the early days.