Home | About | Donate

American Democracy Is Dying

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/02/08/american-democracy-dying

2 Likes

We aren’t going to get out of this by voting alone

9 Likes

Gee, what an astute observation.  Every Administration and every Congress for the past four decades has been slightly worse than its predecessor.*  What is surprising to me is that at least a semblance of democracy has lasted as long as it has. With Tweetle-Dumb on the far right and the DNC with its stable of B’-B’-Bozos** on the near right already openly cheating in the next round, it’s likely that the crack-up will be complete by the next Winter Solstice (the REAL reason for the season).

*  Think O’Bummer & P’Loser weren’t slightly worse than the Lying Son-of-a-Bush and his gang?  Who let the War Criminals off the hook in 2009 without even pretending to investigate Lying to Congress and “enhanced interrogation”?  Who not only let the Banksters off the hook, but used OUR tax money to bail them out instead of aiding their victims??  Tweetle-Dumb would not have come even close to winning in 2016 if O’Bummer & P’Loser had done their jobs starting in 2009.

**  The full stable of JackAsses once included Bait-Oh – recently replaced by Bloomie – and still holds Butt-Head-Geek (who is about to face reality in New Hampshire).  Bernie will probably have the most delegates going into the convention, but not enough to win outright, so the DNC stupor-delegates will come into play.  I won’t be at all surprised if there isn’t some attempt to drag the Red Queen back into the fray, in which case Tweetle-Dumb wins not only the electoral college but the popular vote, possibly by a YUGE landslide, even without having to actually rig the numbers.

Bernie 2020 — Or Bust!!

15 Likes

Kinda like the Boiling frog analogy eh?

5 Likes

“In short, the United States has a galloping case of authoritarian rot, in large part because the fundamental ideas motivating the Constitution are poles apart from how people actually behave.”

Ummm . . . he might not have had in mind the greater meaning of that statement:

Which people? All of the people? Most of the people? Some of the people?

I’m pitifully Sorry, pardon me, excuse me, mea culpa, forgive me please, but I would say most of the people.

2 Likes

The unrepresentative republic was never meant to be a democracy, and that unrepresentative republic was mortally wounded by the Deep State coup which murdered JFK on Nov. 22, 1963.

10 Likes

There is a political treatise entitled ‘The Perils of Presidentialism’ that was authored by the late German-born Spanish political sociologist – and (John W.) Sterling Professor of Political Science at Yale University (New Haven, CT) – named Juan José Linz, Ph. D. , in which he conducted extensive studies on the presidential-congressional régime throughout much of Latin America. According to Dr. Linz, the most fundamental flaw of the presidential-congressional régime is one of ‘electoral legitimacy.’ indeed, i am entirely convinced that the Founding Fathers truly fucked up when they devised the extremely cumbersome system of ‘checks-and-balances.’ There is absolutely no doubt that my irreparably shattered faith in American public institutions will never be rectified in my lifetime.

2 Likes

American Democracy was a stillbirth.

It was founded as a Republic. They did not want Democracy as a Democracy would threaten the wealth and privilege of the 1 percent.

(The Bacon rebellion which happened prior to the American Revolution convinced the framers of the Constitution that they could not have a Democracy)

9 Likes

Your values do not represent your highest spiritual truths.
That’s where the work must be done .

2 Likes

From the article:

…if Barack Obama had done even half of what Trump has, Democrats almost certainly would have supported his impeachment and removal from office,…

What nonsense!! The DP establishment and most of the DP rank and file loved
Dubya’s third and fourth terms because Oreo the Trojan horse was their guy.

One must conclude that the impeachment mechanism basically does not work.

Today’s problem is the people, not the mechanism. Pelosi refused to impeach Dubya and Cheney et al for war crimes and became an accessory after the fact. She blocked impeachment of Trump for two and a half years and then allowed only the weakest charges to be passed. For contrast, recall how Howard Baker and Sam Ervin - one D and one R - handled the Nixon-Watergate crisis efficiently and with dignity and the appropriate gravitas. Did the impeachment mechanism change since 1974? No - only the people changed.

12 Likes

I see Pelosi as more of a Cheney with a “D” label. She was just protecting her mentor. His type is her type of government. Take control, take power, tell the people NOTHING.

7 Likes

Not unless we close our eyes, click our heels, cross our fingers and our hearts, and write a new app. A better app this time.

1 Like

A somnambulance of democracy, I think. Either way, it’s the necessary spectacle until the looting is over.

1 Like

Speaking of Cheney, can we all pitch in and win for him that “dream” hunting trip with Don Jr.? Might have a good outcome!

[Search “dick cheney hunting incident” and “don jr dream hunt” if that didn’t make sense.]

7 Likes

It is becoming more and more clear, certainly to the commenters here, that we are mostly all talk when it comes to restoring our democracy. I’m as guilty as the next for writing about revolt without actually participating in one. Talk might soothe the soul for a few moments, but someone is going to have to go to jail on one side or the other.
I’m just mentioning this to keep it real.

3 Likes

Socrates asks us to consider the audience response:

Do you think the doctor would be able to reply effectively? The true answer – ‘I cause you trouble, and go against your desires in order to help you’ would cause an uproar among the voters, don’t you think?

We have forgotten all about Socrates’s salient warnings against democracy. We have preferred to think of democracy as an unambiguous good – rather than a process that is only ever as effective as the education system that surrounds it. As a result, we have elected many sweet shop owners and very few doctors.

THE FALL OF THE ATHENIAN REPUBLIC
Historic | 1787 | Alexander Tyler

Posted on 1/21/2004, 1:13:00 PM by FlyLow

At about the time our original 13 states adopted their new constitution in 1787, Alexander Tyler - a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh - had this to say about “The Fall of the Athenian Republic” some 2,000 years prior:

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money (generous gifts) from the public treasury. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a dictatorship.”

"The average age of the world’s greatest civilization has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through this sequence.

From bondage to spiritual faith;
from spiritual faith to great courage;
from courage to liberty;
from liberty to abundance,
from abundance to selfishness;
from selfishness to complacency,
from complacency to apathy,
from apathy to dependency,
from dependence back into bondage."

3 Likes

Just the title alone reminds me of old I Love Lucy episodes, where she burns the toast, then tries to scrape the burnt bits off, as if that will make it, well, acceptable toast, if you will.

Dying’ . . . nope, it’s been burnt toast for a long time now, pal.

1 Like

Does anyone else think Nancy got paid to limit the Impeachment Articles?

4 Likes

Maybe not directly… in the sense of “Here is money, hold the articles”. But since the ones that would have been willing to pay her are on the same “payrolls” as her already, then indirectly, yes.

The masters speak, and the minions listen.

She is just a “D” minion, not an “R” minion.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, IMHO, the several dozen people in “our” government who SHOULD go to jail – prison, actually, and for a VERY long time – will probably do no time at all, and several thousands, eventually maybe tens of thousands, of people probably WILL go to jail for the “crime” of peacefully (or at least non-violently) assembling to ex­press their grievances and to demand change.  As noted previously:

We’re Revolutionary.   Our current “leaders” are Revolting!

4 Likes