Home | About | Donate

American Democracy: Progress and Relapse

Thank you for the comprehensive history lesson, Mr. Morris.

Between Republican votes counting as the equivalent of 2 or more Democratic votes, ridiculously delineated gerrymandered districts, and leaving out many of those estimated 20 million U.S. felons... essentially, it still comes down to this:

"Article I, Section. 2 [Slaves count as 3/5 persons]
Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons [i.e., slaves].

"This essentially says that the slaves were only 3/5ths of a person. And there was a reason for this to be put into the Constitution. But, before the explanation is put in here, here is what happened today in the House when the Constitution was read.

"When the Constitution was read today, they left out parts because they were either supposedly offensive or outdated. One of the things they left out because it was offensive, was the 3/5th’s clause that was in Article 1 Section 2 of the Constitution."

Progress! What a grandiose illusion... particularly for the Black Community and all those who actually believe in a Democratic society!

Plato didn't think much of democracy and believed instead that society should be ruled by a group of altruistic, virtuous, non-materialistic, wise philosophers (which presumably therefore included himself) yet where do you find an altruistic, virtuous, non-materialistic, wise philosopher these days.

The Confounding Fathers, and their corruptive offspring

Are people able to vote if they don't have a home address? I don't know who they could vote for, since (to my knowledge) no party represents the poor today, but I'm curious. Even before the voter ID mandate, voters without ID needed to show proof of residency (rent receipts, utilities bills, etc.)

We're a country filled with people who believe THEY are the rare exception who sees what is going on, who is actually awake, while everyone else is clueless. And these wise ones all contradict each other.

Dare we admit that when Democrats only more deeply alienate a significant chunk of the Dem voting base (the poor, and those who get why it matters), they lose?

What? Really? Anyone claiming to write a historical analysis can get it this wrong? These errors got through the editing? Is it a joke?

John Adams was the second President since GEORGE WASHINGTON was our first one. Jefferson was third and Madison fourth, not second and third.

What in the world is going on? Did I slide with Q-Ball into an alternate timeline?