Home | About | Donate

American Exceptionalism Is Killing Planet Earth

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/12/02/american-exceptionalism-killing-planet-earth

2 Likes

Wow was that a depressing read… and spot on of course.

8 Likes

Definitely a keeper. My gosh! Warm thanks to William Astore, who says:

Spaceship Earth should not be allowed to remain Warship Earth as well, not when the existence of significant parts of humanity is already becoming ever more precarious. Think of us as suffering from a coolant leak, causing cabin temperatures to rise even as food and other resources dwindle. Under the circumstances, what’s the best strategy for survival: killing each other while ignoring the leak or banding together to fix an increasingly compromised ship?

Astore’s exceptional essay packs a surprisingly strong emotional punch, bringing me to tears this morning. Especially when I remember – It seems so long since we had songs like Peace Train (that’s my favorite version, from Dolly & Ladyship). Now we’re so far off-track. I need to catch my breath and let some despair roll off, or something. It sure is hard to feel optimistic about bringing an end, someday, to USAmerica’s exceptionally vicious behavior.

4 Likes

The most amazing review, analysis and condemnation of the self-created conditions that are the sources of our current dilemma. Would that these words would be on the lips of every candidate for president.

5 Likes

Follow this advice and you will assure a world of prosperity
, health, and peace.

1 Like

Great article! But still only scratching the surface. I highly recommend the new book American Exceptionalism and American Innocence: A People’s History of Fake News from the Revolutionary War to the War on Terror by Roberto Sirvent and Danny Haiphong.

2 Likes

A vote for Marriana Williamson is a vote for love and the human family .
The war conciousness is a threat to all life we can end this nightmare reality by choosing another way .

1 Like

Well Done! This should be required reading for every high school or undergrad course in ecology, sociology, history, religion, political science, economics, and more. Exposure to alternative perspectives than those contrived to support America’s “Exceptionalism” is as essential to human survival as understanding germ theory is to protecting us from AIDS, cholera and Ebola.

I’m not kidding. Every teacher needs to hand out copies and take one day to make THIS their lesson plan. Explore the author’s meaning, think about examples in our current news cycle, envision alternative paths for our future. What better use could one make of a single class? Really, name one!

5 Likes

“Exceptionalism” is a religion.
EXCEPT: except (v.)

late 14c., “to receive,” from Middle French excepter (12c.), from Latin exceptus, past participle of excipere “to take out, withdraw; make an exception, reserve,” from ex “out” (see ex-) + capere “to take,” from PIE root *kap- “to grasp.” Meaning “to leave out” is from 1510s. Related: Excepted; excepting. Adjectival function led to use as a preposition, conjunction (late 14c.).

Give me ONE MAGICAL, UNQUESTIONED LIE AND I WILL CREATE AN ENTIRE WORLD.

That magical step is the claim (at risk of death) that I can pretend that something does not exist. This is fundamental premise of domination in this system. It applies across the spectrum from personal emotion, to addiction to denial of justice and in every aspect of life you choose to consider. In economics it is the “externalization of costs” - the REAL 'everything “except”.

In other words, the premise started as sociopathic - but deniable given the context of the “enlightenment”, and now the adumbration is actively sucking the planet into the realm of the psychotic dimensions of pretending it is normal to isolate oneś mind and heart from full integration with the creation.

Love and humility are thresholds to healing the integration of the human capacity to imagine and practice alternatives - with the sacred mystery of peace by practice on a daily basis. Peace is every step we take.

Sit like a mountain, breathe like a flower

3 Likes

Love the idea of basing a class on this essay. From middle school through college.
As I did on Thanksgiving I will be passing another essay, this one, out to the family at Xmas dinner At my mostly (politically) idiot family .
As an aside I often make multiple copies of particularly insightful pieces and leave them at the docs, dentists, X-ray offices… Kind of throwing it out into the universe… I like to hope that maybe one person picked one up and read it and learned something… lol.
The previous essay I did that with I also took to Thanksgiving dinner and went over like the proverbial lead balloon with, gods love ‘em, my (politically) doltish inlaw family…
Come to think of it maybe that practice is what is causing the odd groaning noises at holidays when we walk in ;).

4 Likes

Part of the malignant psycopathy is that Merica doesn’t declare war anymore. If it doesn’t declare war, it can’t possibly be at war. Meanwhile troops, weapons and death perform their massive aggressions and injustices under exceptionalism and manifest destiny, washed clean by an imaginary politics inscribing imaginary beliefs in willing, compliant followers.

3 Likes

Well when Obama joined in Unleashing the bombing Campaign on Libya he referred to it as a “kinetic military action”. He was a man of peace after all!

4 Likes

That is a brilliant thought. It would be transformational. Regrettably, there are very few teachers in our public schools who would take the risk of studying that article w their students. Heck, researching the article could become a quarter long course in US History.

1 Like

Thank you for mentioning this book!!! I’ve been reading it a chapter at a time, feeling my jaw clench and my frustration level soaring. The authors are telling Truth to Power, and also bringing out the Innocence factor used by most Americans. “That’s not me! I didn’t do that! That’s someone else’s ancestor who killed off the Indians and owned slaves. Forget about that stuff!” Another book written during the 90’s(a decade which seemed to have a lot of books written about peace and care of the soul and All Our Relations) is A World Waiting to be Born by Dr. M. Scott Peck. He also wrote People of the Lie a couple years later, a precursor perhaps to the Bush Coup and war crimes.
I have also read, perhaps in Custer Died for Your Sins, that there are millions of vengeful Indigeous Spirits on Turtle Island, waiting for the White Man to repent his actions and change his ways. That, until he does, some very bad things will continue to happen…(this got me into FB jail!)

1 Like

hello little chicken.

It’s killing human habitation at some point, but other species will fill in the emptiness.

Not that plenty of this article contains facts, but are you kidding me? The Cold War was about “containing communism?” Seriously, you show your military brainwashing here. Have you read the history of U.S. interventions in Latin America, how they used communism as a PRETEXT for ousting mildly progressive presidents like João Goulart? Democratically elected presidents, every one of them? And replaced them with Right-wing dictatorships that tortured and killed hundreds of thousands–with the torture training supplied by the U.S. via USAID and CIA? Read a book, man! Significant also is your utter failure to mention all the soft and hard coups the U.S. has been throwing across Latin America, the DOJ role in corruption investigations that only target Pink Tide leaders such as Chile’s Bachelet and Brazil’s Lula. Were you really not going to mention WHINSEC’s presence and Steve Bannon helping BozoNazi win the election in Brazil? And that all the soft coups these days result in puppet fascist presidents handing the U.S. its resources and granting it land for more military bases (Alcantara comes to mind.) Again, read a book! This history is not hard to find, but by these glaring omissions you really weaken your overall message about exceptionalism in its other manifestations.

1 Like