Home | About | Donate

Americans Deserve Privacy Protection From Big Data

Americans Deserve Privacy Protection From Big Data

Ed Markey

The United States has a privacy problem.

Sensitive consumer data are everywhere, and they are vulnerable. Just this year, we learned that two billion Facebook users’ information was harvested by bad actors. Hundreds of thousands of Delta Airlines travelers’ credit card information was breached. More than 150 million consumers’ data on Under Armour’s MyFitnessPal app were compromised.

DREAM BIGGER, MODERNS!

Who doesn’t recognize that every time we make laws against something, the lawless thing inside us finds new and clever ways to work around them?

Who doesn’t recognize that the only way we have to enforce the laws we make to bind the actions of corporate people is to fine them?

Who doesn’t recognize that these mega-criminals simply pay the fines, and then go back to their business as usual—raping, pillaging and destroying the Commons?

Who doesn’t recognize that “privacy” as we have known it has functioned most reliably as a screen for criminal behavior of all kinds?

Who doesn’t recognize that if we want clean Water—physical, economic, emotional, mental and spiritual—we’d best stop pretending that we can tolerate the dumping of poison into the Water?

Who doesn’t recognize that our persistent human tendency to act as if anything our physical senses cannot readily perceive doesn’t exist—or at least can’t hurt anyone—is a MASSIVE ECOLOGICAL PROBLEM?

Who doesn’t see that as long as we continue to act that way in our “personal” lives—in our “private” lives—we will continue to enact this terrible habit in our collective, “public” affairs?

Yes, if we want clean Water, we’d best stop pretending we can dump our “private” poisons—our “white lies”, our dirty dealings, our “secret” perversions and side hustles in the Water that all must drink.

Who is ready to recognize that the end of privacy as we’ve known it could be a good thing?

Who is ready to seize the opportunity inherent in this moment of global breakdown to make it a breakthrough for all our relations?

Who is ready to leap beyond who we’ve already been and all we’ve already done?

Warriors of the Rainbow, arise!

We have nothing to lose but these ugly old chains!

And really, honey, those things are SO last millennium!

Pull the plug on “Big Data.”

Privacy before Profit!

Americans might deserve it, but they aren’t going to get it.

Because it’s a club and you and I ain’t in it.-George Carlin

How is it possible to have a working 4th Amendment at the same time that online entities can look at all the information of everyone. Isn’t that what Orwell wrote about?
Also, if corporations are people---------then how is it possible that corporate people commit privacy breaches and nothing really happens-----yet if a corporation was really a person and they used my personal information without my permission--------that “person” would be in jail.Sadly, I am wondering when the government and the military will declare WATSON as president—and he------ will never die!

Oh another freaky moment question about google and google mail. I am reading in the news that Gmail lets 3rd party people look at Gmail users messages.
I am not on Gmail, but do the 3rd party viewers of messages of Gmail users, also apply to my answers to Gmail friends even though I am not a Gmail user? OR by answering friends, do I become a Gmail user???
How complicated emailing friends might be. : 0 Does anyone know if my answers to friends are getting sucked up by 3rd party people, even though I have no agreement with them and even if I also have no idea who they are? Wow, the internet has become the outter-net for 3rd party advertisers.

The GDPR is an advance, but far from sufficient. It won’t stop Uber
from requiring customers to identify themselves and to pay through
digital systems that identify them. It won’t stop phone
companies from keeping track of everyone’s phone calls and movements.

Something like the GDPR won’t stop the emplacement of cameras looking
at stores that transmit to the cops. It won’t stop the emplacement of
cameras looking at the street that transmit to the the cops and to
face recognition systems.

The GDPR has these problems because it focuses on regulating the
use of dangerous databases when the only way to avoid the danger
is to prevent the data from being collected.

See https://gnu.org/philosophy/surveillance-vs-democracy.html and
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/03/facebook-abusing-data-law-privacy-big-tech-surveillance.

The only thing living here in America has taught me is to keep yourself safe as one can, Government is not going to help in any way. I have been using a VPN for long now and it is a mandatory service to have considering all the privacy laws and legislations coming up.