Home | About | Donate

America's Sinkhole Wars

America's Sinkhole Wars

Andrew Bacevich

We have it on highest authority: the recent killing of Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Muhammad Mansour by a U.S.

I have just finished reading Professor Bacevich's book, America's War for the Greater Middle East. Like the analysis in this piece, that book is absolutely required reading for any presidential candidate. Although it may be unrealistic to expect aspirants for the nation's highest office to actually read and ponder such matters in depth, the candidates must be put to the test and asked about their views on these issues during the campaign and in the debates. As Professor Bacevich notes, I've read nothing which suggests that either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump has any plan to extricate our country from this quagmire or to work with the broader international community (for that is what it will take) to bring some modicum of peace and stability to the region, which largely is in this sad state due to the blunders if not outright malfeasance of US foreign policy elites. I recommend Professor Bacevich's book to every American concerned with our ongoing folly in the Middle East.

What we are dealing with is the wholesale enticement of the US population into an addiction to violence, death, and destruction.
Reading the rationalizations of some West Point trained graduate scholar like Bacevich pontificating on the meaning of the US wars of the past 50+ years is like trying to get drug addiction counseling from the neighborhood dealer of such substances.
Soon enough we will reach the point (predicted by George Orwell in 1984) where all that is necessary is to be pointed at a jumbo television screen for two minutes of hate administered as frequently as required to keep the addicts docile and "on task".

By a week from tomorrow we will have not one, but a choice of two potential Emanuel Goldsteins on the ballot for the presidency of the US. The important thing to remember is that both Goldstein and Big Brother were (and are) one and the same person.

Thank you Joe, for this recommendation. I very much appreciate and admire Prof. Bacevich's intellect and experience, and his use of them both, for educating Americans. He has often been on Democracy Now!, and is always illuminating (if not optimistic). He gives veterans their due respect and honor by eschewing unnecessary interventions and war, and offering good advice. How to get that point of view listened to, that's another question. I will read his book.

My prediction: America will not be out of endless wars until America stops electing hawks who believe war is a good thing, a profitable thing, an acceptable thing. This article is disappointing to me personally because there's no mention of an alternative to Trump vs Clinton. It's not that there is no alternative available. It's that this author, much like the msm, refuses to offer it to the reader.

Well, elections aside, there's also actually not too much time left, before the utter non-sustainability of this global militarist empire takes the gas out of their tank.

Bacevich makes great points about the lack of strategy to win the wars that are currently underway, and the phony "progress" that keeps being reported.

But Bacevich should turn his thoughts toward the actual strategic game that's been underway for decades: Encircle Russia and China, and prepare to defeat them in a "full-spectrum dominance" hot war.

It is the US Congress who can stop the war just like that happened in the case of Vietnam. At present situation a bunch of rogues are running the country that includes all in the US Congress. The average people even they die in hunger or cold on the street couldn't fight against the crooked leaders. The only possibility is if they find an honest leader who can assemble them and seize the US Congress with pitch fork to tear them apart like in French or Bolshevik revolution. Running a perpetual war is the most crooked way a few are accumulating money without even paying the proper tax. How obscene it is when even an unemployed person pays tax from his unempolyment benefits. Now a congressional circus is going around when unemployment are soaring and the jobs are moving away. No one is paying any serious attention. Democracy is failed in this nation.

James Madison in 1795:
"Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people. The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manners and of morals engendered by both. No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."

Heroes, sent by cowards, fools and greedy rubes.

I don't remember the exact moment I determined just how many were out to make me hate, but I am glad to have the knowledge.

To all the long haired hippie freakos of my day, Peace!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Do we have conscription? Do people have the opportunity to make an
informed decision to participate in empire building v. actual defense of
the republic. They are not heroes.

These wars are unwinnable militarily. Obama has flat out said it and then promptly sent more troops. He likes to think of himself as a peace president yada yada but he's not and he's just as devoted to keeping us in a war somewhere, anywhere, so he can keep the money flowing into the Pentagon and arms dealers. They know they are creating more terrorism by bombing those countries but they don't care.
Wouldn't it be great for a new president to stop the wars? It won't happen if Clinton gets in. Trump said he would stop them but that's a pie in the sky. Only if Bernie is the president could we even hope to stop them.
Boy the Karma we are creating is really ugly.

Imagine going out to California, Col. Bacevich, and endorsing Bernie right before a rally!

That's your most "no more war" president, right there!

Thanks for the article, though. so glad for your work.

Don't stop phonebanking, donating, canvassing if you're in a primary state. Go Bernie!

For me it was reading both Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's Brave New World (which I read as part of a high school literature class). Then came the JFK assassination, then came Lyin' Lyndon's Vietnam war, and the rest of the assassinations during his reign, then came Nixon. Like the sun rising to reveal the details of a new day, life imitated art instead of the other way around.
50 + years later I have come to realize that it has always been that way as human nature has been a constant throughout human history, but as a teenager turning into a young adult, it was all new to me back then.

woahwoahwoahwoah a minute. ...
Keep in mind that the dominant/domineering narrative is a crippled, anglo saxon testosterone fed machismo dressed up as the latest fashion for _____ (fill in the blank). That poor despotic excuse for life DOES NOT equal human nature.

One of the greatest challenges we have today, I would submit, is discernment in order to NOT identify with a failed, void riddled construct that is trying to kill its way out of extinction. Remember that the part of your mind and heart that is so aggrieved is the HEALTHY PART still recognizing that there is much, much more to being! Nurture those aspects into health, serve and strengthen them, love and relish the strength! Somebody, somewhere posted today the quote "We all do better when we ALL do better". Don't ever give up your beauty as human being

There are 2 alternatives to the hawksTrump & Clinton & their endless wars: GREEN PARTY's candidate DR. JILL STEIN & LIBERTARIAN PARTY's candidate former GOV. GARY JOHNSON (New Mexico). BOTH support ending U.S> endless wars, tendecy to "intervene", invade & occupy other countries & vow to CLOSE vast MAJORITY of U.S. almost 1,000 military bases around the world.

"Less remarked upon, he will also pass along to President Clinton or President Trump new wars that are his own handiwork." Notice the plug for Clinton without regard to Sanders.