Home | About | Donate

Amid Alarm Over National Emergency Declaration, Border Deal Denounced as 'Betrayal of Immigrant Communities'

Amid Alarm Over National Emergency Declaration, Border Deal Denounced as 'Betrayal of Immigrant Communities'

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Amid the chaos that ensued on Thursday afternoon once Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced that President Donald Trump plans to imminently declare a national emergency to build a border wall, immigrant rights groups raised alarm about the spending bill negotiated by Republican and Democratic leaders that will prevent another government shutdown, but also includes concessions to the president's anti-immigrant agenda.

Time to flood elected officials with brief, to the point respectful messages:

3 Likes

To HELL with all these turds, “representatives” my ass. They IN NO WAY represent me, or the vast majority of US citizens. The utterly broken US political system, founded in setller colonialism, enslavement, genocide, and grand theft continental, is fast headed for “the ash heap of history.” Good riddance and none too soon! Too bad it is burning the Earth and trampling the People on its way out.

6 Likes

“Respectful” is a hard ask, my caprine friend.

2 Likes

The billionaire club is afraid of people power.

1 Like

Yeah it traslates to obedient, fear the government officials

1 Like

Unlike the revolution the soft right wing coup will be televised; 24/7 until every law protecting the 99s has bent like a doughy soft pretzel, into the shape of a crazy 8 with an extremely weird hairdo.

1 Like

Wake UP, America!
The real National Emergency is the Trump Presidency!

… and our seeming inability to mouth these words!
Mainstream Media with its TV & press, Dems & more where are you??

1 Like

messages of what caliber?

1 Like

Trump is the least of our problems. It’s out entire governmental and economic system down to the most minute detail that is broken. Trump is inevitable, and a thousand more like him, in every branch and division, as long the slightest trace of this system remains.

4 Likes

I say we get rid of the Secret Service and Capital Police. The critters in Congress and at the White House should fear the people when they decide they’ll quit listening. There is a reason that the rich are building panic rooms and buying property in New Zealand and Hawaii. They have us living in fear; fear of poverty, fear of the police, fear of getting sick. Maybe it’s time we turned the tables. From “V for Vendetta,” “People should not fear their government. Government should fear their people.”

2 Likes

Our goverment has been hijacked by gangs of career criminals, expect the worst if you don’t fight back.

1 Like

They should fear us, I’ve never seen anyone who couldn’t easily slaughter Trump in a fist fight. These people are pampered and weak, spoiled and terrified of the rest of us, They are outnumbered millions to one. Utterly annihilating them should be a cinch. All it takes is about 1% of us to set our minds to it and they are history. Or we can be enslaved by them. They have left no alternatives open I’m afraid. It’s only a matter of time before most of us snap out of it and realize it.

2 Likes

Here is the real reason.

National emergency gives them a way to deal with the missing money.

1 Like

i’m not sure that missing trillions are the fundamental reason for the “national emergency.” Nor are they the primary reason to have no faith in the US dollar, the US economy, the US government, or US investments. The post-WWII international financial system seems to be nearing its close. Have you seen these two recent Michael Hudson articles?

Hudson cites specific steps being taken by key non-US players, in response to US actions but also culminating long trends, regarding global trading currencies and financing, citing specific reasons to foresee in the near future, the unwinding of the US dollar as the foundational global currency: the end of “US dollar hegemony”:

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/02/01/trumps-brilliant-strategy-to-dismember-u-s-dollar-hegemony/

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/02/08/an-interview-the-saker-on-venezuela/

2 Likes

How about the Democratic House presenting a bill that states , Trump is a National Emergency ?

When comparing the validity of these two " Emergencies " one really is an emergency , while the other is a Barrier to common decency and sense.

2 Likes

Trump is a symptom. Trump was coming. “The establishment” has been paving the road to Trump for decades.

Trump is a cheap ugly stupid bully who was born with half-a-billion dollars. Yes he’s an emergency, but Trump did not build the US military empire. Trump did not build the US nuclear arsenal. Trump did not intervene militarily and politically in Latin America dozens of times resulting in millions of deaths. Trump did not grow this “liberal republic” on its foundation of settler colonialism, enslavement, genocide, and grand theft continental. Yeah he’s a dick and a real menace, but Trump is a product of the USA, and of neoliberal capitalist wealth concentration and “austerity.”

4 Likes

Declaring a national emergency allows the president to meet the problems of “governing effectively” in times of crisis. They also allow the president to “seize property, organise and control the means of production, seize commodities, assign military forces abroad, institute martial law, seize and control all transportation and communication, regulate the operation of private enterprise, restrict travel, and, in a variety of ways, control the lives of United States citizens,” the document states.

1 Like

It’s the “National Emergency” that they are after, not the wall.

4 Likes

i get that.

1 Like