Home | About | Donate

Amid Crackdown on Dissent, Nobel Laureates Demand Freedom for Journalists Facing Life in Prison

Amid Crackdown on Dissent, Nobel Laureates Demand Freedom for Journalists Facing Life in Prison

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

In a letter denouncing the "the increasing climate of fear and censorship and the stifling of critical voices in Turkey," over 100 noted international writers including Nobel laureates urge Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu to free two journalists facing potential life sentences.

Signatories to the PEN International letter, dated Thursday, include Margaret Atwood, J.M. Coetzee, Monica Ali, Mario Vargas Llosa, and Yann Martel.

I am dreaming of a radical solution for all Turkish problems: Split the country in two, roughly along the 33^E longitude, just east of Ankara.

Let Erdogan have the eastern half, where the majority of his support lies anyway and the western part, which is closely compatible with Europe and its values can then reapply and join the EU on a fast track.

Let the border provinces Kastamanu, Cankiri, Kirikale, Kirsehir, Nevsehir and Mersin decide by referendum, which way they want to go and be done with it.

Oh well if I just had the power, I would come up with a similar solution for the Ukraine and carve the Kurdish territories out of Syria, Iran, Iraq and Turkey and create a new Kurdistan.

Meanwhile I am just dreaming.