Home | About | Donate

Amid Massive Teacher Revolt Over Starving Schools, Kentucky GOP Passes 'Huge Tax Cut for the 1%'

Amid Massive Teacher Revolt Over Starving Schools, Kentucky GOP Passes 'Huge Tax Cut for the 1%'

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

After Kentucky's GOP-controlled legislature passed a bill last week to slash teachers' retirement benefits—a proposal that has provoked a series of massive protests—lawmake

At this point I really have no sympathy for the people of Kentucky, or the United States for that matter. If we won’t defend ourselves we get what we deserve.

What can we expect? Kentucky has elected that Neanderthal Mitch McConnell over and over and over again. I can’t imagine having someone that obtrusive and backwards representing me but I guess he is ok for Kentucky.

Whether it’s trump the malignant or local R’Con spawn of the same ilk, the MO is to defund and destroy government service to the public and replace it with for-profit scams to enrich the few to serve the wealthiest - and to Hell with those who cannot afford the con!! Public education, health care, energy, public transportation, communications - all are under the thumb of wealth and the sellout scum that serve them!

Politicians of BOTH parties are complicit, with the DINO sellouts exemplified by “chuck” schumer totally involved with that MO and in bed with the trump regime!

OCCUPY!

Nothing like taking in the big picture to seek justice.

Have stopped buying anything produced in red states. That appears to be the only power we have.

How do you see us defending ourselves?

Basically the reality is, get wealthy quick or you are completely fucked.

Me, I’m completely fucked.

Trying to stay optimistic about life, when there are erupting volcanoes to overcome is nearly impossible.

Mountains? If only we had just mountains.

And so it’s been since a critical mass of U.S. voters swallowed the crap spewed by Ronni Raygunz. Somebody voted for these idiots.

There is only one way to deal with a fascist.

If you want public schools to be properly funded, teachers paid well and the educational system to be first class; require everyone, including the rich, to send their children to public schools. Suddenly there will be no problem with public education.

Great post!

The Republican’t Party is beginning to look like a riot mob attacking a Wall-Mart. They seem to be attacking every treasury that is exposed to their tender mercies. “To hell with infrastructure, social programs, education and healthcare I’m gettin mine now.” is the new right wing mantra. Well, maybe not all that new but they are goin at it hell bent for leather.

I can’t see that as being particularly effective since all would suffer under successful boycott.

Well then, I don’t see any mechanism by which we can resist the willful $adism perpetuated at the highest levels of “government.”

One of Amerika’s dumbest states.

In addition decades and decades ago, I attended public schools with all types and economic classes of people. These sociopaths want everyone to attend private schools - especially those cave people in the South y’all. One government official from Alaeffinbama once said that everyone should pay tuition to go to school. When questioned about that he said he did not care. Here’s the thing: We do pay for public schools with taxes- it’s just that our corrupt government and the South believe in nothing but profits and dumbed down Main Streeters.

“moves that critics say clearly demonstrate the misplaced priorities of the Republican Party”

It’s not a glitch; it’s a feature. The priorities of the Republican party are exactly what their leaders intended them to be, and have been openly intending since Lewis Powell temporarily declined Nixon’s appointment of him to the Supreme Court in order to author his famous memo to the education director of the US Chamber of Commerce in 1971. If you haven’t read it, download it and do so. It is a blueprint for a fascist (sic) takeover of the United States. They quit even pretending to act in the public interest at least two decades ago in the “Gingrich Revolution.”

“Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.”

I agree. The Repulsive-cans quit pretending to care a long time ago and just spew the lines to get elected. Sadly, their plan to undermine public education is working; people are becoming less educated and therefore less likely to question. It IS our right and duty, so let’s get busy folks.

They won’t be able to rely on increased sales or prices for Kentucky’s tobacco seeing how China has put all types of tobacco on its retaliatory hit list.