Home | About | Donate

Amid Reports of Civilian Casualties, Sanders Condemns Trump for 'Giving Turkish Army Permission' to Invade and Slaughter the Kurds

Also an interesting answer. I prefer civilization over tribalism - but we are and remain tribal at the core of our beings. Our endocrine systems are arranged to handle a hundred or so people, on the land, in the presence of real danger. We are a blend of social and individual propensities. The group theories now are showing us this, in peer reviewed science. The group is powerful - I do not need to elaborate. Anyone who can figure a way to organize a larger and more powerful group has an ace in their pocket - and we all have to deal with that, and have since we gave up the nomadic and semi-nomadic ways of our ancestors. That was but a minute ago in terms of our evolutionary past, and we are not good at it by any stretch of the imagination yet, and so we as nations act more like beasts of prey than civil society as we would LIKE to see it.

From the group of a hundred like minded and interdependent tribal members, talking together every evening around the campfire - to the United Nations - World War - and massively hierarchial structure - in the blink of an eye.

Yet we have to make the best of it.

It is possible we simply are not up to the task, and with nuclear weapons and other mass killing mechanisms, and our 400 commercial nuclear reactors, almost impossible to put away safely - we are teetering on the brink of actual extinction. With the climate crisis, the extinction event now under way, with our uncounted thousands of unsafe chemicals already released into the environment and our own bodies - well - we’re going to need to pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat.

Got to go - my son and wife are waiting for me here at the University - we are going to have a snack and walk the hour home under a beautiful blue sky, with all the leaves turning, and a fresh blanket of snow underfoot.

I also sometimes despair, but a psychogeographical dérive always helps…

This was posted on another thread: Ben Norton Live. I found it very useful to understand what’s happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMV9tLDI1Lo&feature=youtu.be&t=1205