Home | About | Donate

Amid Right-Wing Effort to Smear Sanders Over Cuba Comments, Campaign Issues Reminder That Obama Said the Same Thing

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/02/24/amid-right-wing-effort-smear-sanders-over-cuba-comments-campaign-issues-reminder

3 Likes

Fidel Castro was America’s guy to over throw Batista.
We supplied him.
When he won, he came and asked us for food and we said no.
So, he went elsewhere.

In 1942 and 1943, the US Army taught 1.5 million young men to read and write.
I suggest we do it again.

9 Likes

The more Buttigieg tweets the bigger the arsehole he exposes himself as being.

He needs a new Theme song for his campaign.

How about Patti Labelle’s “I Got a New Platitude” ?

I’m feelin’ good from my head to my shoes
Know where I’m goin’ and I know what to do
I tidied up my point of view
I got a new platitude

7 Likes

Ah, the sweet grinding sound of the Gears of Slime cranking up.

Cuba, then later today came the first broad salvo from the Zionists over Palestine.

It’ll be interesting to see if Sanders can keep off his heels with the sheer ferocity of the attacks ramping up.

This was the stuff that crucified Kucinich in the runs I worked for him in. Not sure how the landscape is especially different.

8 Likes

"[R]ight-wingers and corporate Democrats whipped up outrage over Sanders’ praise for the high literacy rates in Cuba under Castro’s leadership, which lasted from 1959 to 2008.

Outrage over the truth? I would also praise Cuba for their number one export–physicians and the welcoming and training of US American medical students. A hell of a difference to the number one US American export of weapons.

20 Likes

Before the filthy red ogre Castro came in by overthrowing a sweet cupcake named Batista, Cuba was a paradise of happy dancing peasants, workers who whistled while they worked in a land of milk and honey. Justice and fair play ran supreme with freedom of expression and the peoples’ democratic rights dutifully protected.

Or…

"Batista suspended the 1940 Constitution and revoked most political liberties, including the right to strike. He then aligned with the wealthiest landowners who owned the largest sugar plantations, and presided over a stagnating economy that widened the gap between rich and poor Cubans. Eventually it reached the point where most of the sugar industry was in U.S. hands, and foreigners owned 70% of the arable land.

Batista’s repressive government then began to systematically profit from the exploitation of Cuba’s commercial interests, by negotiating lucrative relationships with both the American Mafia, who controlled the drug, gambling, and prostitution businesses in Havana, and with large U.S.-based multinational companies who were awarded lucrative contracts. To quell the growing discontent amongst the populace—which was subsequently displayed through frequent student riots and demonstrations—Batista established tighter censorship of the media, while also utilizing his Bureau for the Repression of Communist Activities secret police to carry out wide-scale violence, torture and public executions. These murders mounted in 1957, as Fidel Castro gained more publicity and influence. Many people were killed, with estimates ranging from hundreds to about 20,000 people killed."

Excerpt from Wikipedia entry under “Batista”. Ah, for the good old days before communism…

16 Likes

And now we in Florida are stuck with Marco Rubio…

8 Likes

Off topic, but I thought revealing and timely:

In a July 17, 1944, dispatch to the U.S. Secretary of State, U.S. Ambassador Spruille Braden wrote:

It is becoming increasingly apparent that President Batista intends to discomfit the incoming Administration in every way possible, particularly financially. A systematic raid on the Treasury is in full swing with the result that Dr. Grau will probably find empty coffers when he takes office on October 10. It is blatant that President Batista desires that Dr. Grau San Martin should assume obligations which in fairness and equity should be a matter of settlement by the present Administration.

Does any of this sound the least bit familiar?

6 Likes

Well and aptly spoken— for which, thanks.

1 Like

Agreed.

I’ve never been a fan of Sarah Palin — except when compared with some Democratic office holders / seekers — but I give her credit for “How’s that hopey changey stuff workin’ out for yuh?”

5 Likes

I’m sure that if trump was around when Batista had control of Cuba, he would have built a few hotels over there.

6 Likes

Fidel Castro was a great man. His government was able to maintain its sovereignty for decades and he was able to avoid assassination multiple times. His contributions to the well being of the Cuban people go far beyond education and healthcare. He walked the walk and enriching himself was not part of his agenda. I feel sorry for the rich Cubans, who fled Cuba because their lavish lifestyles were threatened, but even now the Cuban people are more proud and resilient than most Americans will ever be. U.S. foreign policy toward Cuba has been especially cruel and instead of embracing Cuba as a neighbor and friend our focus has always been on exploitation. People who can’t find anything good about the Cuban Revolution are ignorant or blind. Go Bernie!

16 Likes

The Communist Party was the first - and for a long time, only - party to advocate for black people’s human right to vote in the USA.

America’s anti-communist sentiments are rooted in racism. 'Nuff said.

10 Likes

With these false attacks and smears on Sen. Sanders, someone in leadership from the campaign should file a harassment or libel complaint with the BBB ( Better Business Bureau ). Whose 8 Standards of Trust can be " nutshelled " with the short phrase " consumer confidence ". Truth in advertising too, possibly? The product can be trusted to be what it purports to be? Now, that’s got to work, correct?
Now, I know BBB could also stand for ( Bloomberg Buttigieg Biden ). But, come on man, does anyone think the voter and citizen ( consumer ) listening to these commercials ( for themselves ) can really believe: there’s much truth in what this twisted version of the BBB is advertising? That their product ( themselves ) is what it purports to be? That these three instill much of that much often heralded " consumer confidence "?
Me either.
What they do bring to the conversation, though, is for the voter and citizen ( consumer ) to get a hardy inoculation of " caveat emptor ". Using the protocol used to treat rabies ( 14 shots/one a day ) until the BBB no longer poses a threat to the general public. And it is an existential one, imo.
If this threat requires additional world class medical staff to spring into action and help out; well, maybe we borrow some from Cuba. I’m sure they’ll oblige given the dire circumstances.
Just suggestin’ and being a concerned citizen.
Bernie in 2020!

1 Like

I was wondering if we have a case to sue the DNC for all past donations because they claimed to represent us.

They have admitted publicly that they don’t. I think we might have a case, at least to shame them out.

4 Likes

Nine Notorious Dictators, Nine Shout-Outs From Donald Trump

The president of the United States continues to heap praise on the world’s most reviled rulers.

ttps://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/03/trump-xi-jinping-dictators/554810/

5 Likes

It’s his greatest strength!

1 Like

Under The Robert’s Rules of Court Orders: see Citizens Purposefully Disunited by Billionaires; Section 1: " not a snowballs chance in hell, sucka. "

1 Like

Hey, but it would get the message clear and out. Stick a fork in their ass and take them off the grill, the DNC is done.

5 Likes

So refreshing that Bernie speaks his mind instead of what he’s “supposed” to say. We could learn some things from Cuba and they could learn some from us. I was there 3 times, spoke to many people, (I speak Spanish.) They were free with their criticism of Castro. The best was,“How can he give us such a good education and then speak to us like we are children?” They have a real sense of working together, being in it for each other. So different and better than our Ayn Rand style individualism. Their Byzantine bureaucracy, though, is nutz.

6 Likes