Home | About | Donate

Amid Superbug Scourge, Study Finds 1 in 3 Antibiotic Prescriptions Unnecessary

Amid Superbug Scourge, Study Finds 1 in 3 Antibiotic Prescriptions Unnecessary

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

New findings published Tuesday shed more light on the rising problem of "superbugs," or antibiotic-resistant microbes, showing that at least 30 percent of antibiotics prescribed in the United States are unnecessary.

Modern Healthcare describes the analysis as "the first detailed look at all antibiotic prescribing throughout the country."

My dad was a research biochemist who taught medical & dental students, did consulting for the VA and CDC, and throughout his career had an ear to the ground regarding public health. I recall his rants from as early as the 50s about the overuse of antibiotics and the dangers it posed, potentially making all antibiotics ineffective. Few of us are old enough (I'm not) to recall a time when a minor infection (like an abrasion, a boil, etc) had the potential to kill an otherwise healthy person, yet those are the times we are headed toward (or back to) given the profligate misuse of antibiotics.

""it is clear that a small number of health conditions constitute the lion's share of unwarranted antibiotic prescriptions in this country.""

No, what's really clear, but not even mentioned in the article, is that 3/4 of the antibiotics used in the US are used to encourage faster growth of livestock and prevent the horrible conditions they're subjected to from killing them. Want to reduce superbugs? Stop eating industrial meat. Stop allowing such use of antibiotics.

It's MEAT EATERS, not people seeking health care. Get it right.

As a commodity broker in the 90s, I was familiar with the use of antibiotics, as well as other drugs, in non-therapeutic doses, used to promote weight gain in beef, pork, and chicken production. This is the result of confinement, factory farming. The dairy industry, no surprise, also uses many pharmaceuticals in order to extend the lives and increase milk production in dairy cows. Once the dairy cows cease to be milk producers, they are used to produce "utility grade" meats, largely for the fast food industry.