Home | About | Donate

Amid Trump's Disingenuous Vow for Unity, Rights Groups Say ICE Raids in Mississippi Only 'Sow Fear, Pain, and Division'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/08/amid-trumps-disingenuous-vow-unity-rights-groups-say-ice-raids-mississippi-only-sow

1 Like

One might think that after these horrific mass killings with hispanics as targets…the nation might take a pause from everything and try to just breath and wish well for all people. No - there are enough people in the U.S. who lack any compassion, intelligence and seem to enjoy spreading pain and cruelty. ICE is at the top of the list and who directs them - Trump. Hate, hate, hate – we’ve had enough of it.

7 Likes

Watch what is done not what is spewed.

Can’t help but notice that none of the white big businessmen who illegally employed these undocumented workers weren’t marched off in leg irons as well. Only when the hierarchy of Koch Industries, Perdue, or ADM are sent to federal prison will we see a comprehensive immigration reform plan implemented.

9 Likes

“Disingenuous” - i like that word.

1 Like

The purpose of ICE raids is state terrorism. ICE is our Gestapo.

3 Likes

Oh, oh…

1 Like

Can’t keep that fear stoked when you pause.

2 Likes

I guess there’s no time for mourning when they are not the right kind of people. We are supposed to get up every day and act like everything is ok and everything is great. Start off the raids and go about business as usual. It really wasn’t that big a deal (all of the killings) for the elite who run this country.

2 Likes

Some of these companies have been raided many, many times over the years, long before Trump, nothing ever happens to the companies, just the workers.
I don’t live in these areas, but I suspect they use the same business model as a local shipbuilder did here on the Coast. They will hire as many illegal immigrants as they can, and fill the rest of the workforce with local labor, they pay the illegals about $5.00 hr. less than the locals, and then they have to turn over part of their check to a labor recruiter, who kicks back money to the company. This shipbuilder was sued for fraud, for lying to potential workers in Mexico and Latin America about their level of pay, and basically holding the workers against their will on company property. The company responded to the law suit by filling for bankruptcy for the 3rd time in their history that I know of.
I wonder if the owners are related to Trump?

2 Likes

The southern Mississippi federal prosecutor was on TV within the past 15 minutes (7:30 pm central) advises that each worker was asked if they had children and given a phone call to assure their children were aok. Single parents were released to take care of their child / children. there are over 900,000 of these cases now open and about three years before the worker appears before an immigration magistrate.

The initial TV report did say that some plant supervisory, management were arrested. Human Resource files should be perused. Please note that the workers do not yet understand why they cannot all use the same social security number !! At least in Chicago.

1 Like

Government officials always say that things are being handled with sensitivity and then when you look behind the curtains it isn’t as pretty as they make it out to be.

3 Likes

None of the honest hard workers should be arrested ahead of all the Chicago illegals who are already convicted / accused criminals out on bond. Sanctuary city.

A few years ago, I toured a sheet metal factory making shelving. If anyone had shouted “immigration”, the doorways woulda been jammed with exiting Mexicans. I do not expect readers to believe how many workers have no english at all. Plus they are under paid.

We have been there for a long time already thanks to Bush and Bin Laden.

1 Like

Another aspect of our new normal.

Like this?

“We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them.” Don Lemmon, CNN

“I will be leading a great movement to prohibit straight white males, who I believe supported Donald Trump by about 85 percent, from exercising the franchise [to vote], and I think that will save our democracy.” Steven Clifford, former King Broadcasting CEO

“Older white men are a problem, y’all, for everyone. We’re all at risk.” Gabourey Sidibe, Actress

1 Like

Or like mining and oil companies finding it cheaper to continue breaking the law and just pay a fine from time to time.

1 Like

If the management personnel were arrested, it would be the first time, I can tell you that. I hope you’re correct, like I describe in my post above, they’re not just hiring illegal workers, they’re exploiting them also.

2 Likes

Change older white men to “conservatives” and you have a winner.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m an older white man too but have never lost my hippie freak roots. Conservatives? Fuck em. Their very title implies that their purpose in life is to stay the same and force everyone else to do the same. If history had been dominated by conservatives we would still be living on a flat planet that the sun and other planets orbit, using poisons and torture to get rid of the demons that cause disease and insanity, and hanging or burning witches. The amazing thing is conservatives haven’t yet learned from the errors of their ways. One would think that having one’s thumb up their ass with a blank look on their face would get old.

2 Likes