Home | About | Donate

Amnesia and the 'Bleeding Wound': Afghanistan and the Implosion of America

Amnesia and the 'Bleeding Wound': Afghanistan and the Implosion of America

Tom Engelhardt

As I approach 75, I’m having a commonplace experience for my age. I live with a brain that’s beginning to dump previously secure memories—names, the contents of books I read long ago (or all too recently), events, whatever. If you’re of a certain age yourself, you know the story.

1 Like

Recalling some basics Tom, for we elders: “The years of our life are threescore and ten . . . they are soon gone, and we fly away” (Psalm 90); As Harold Lasswell said of the likes of Z. Brzezinski & Co., “. . . the elite, self-righteous and unafraid, suffers from no withering sense of
immorality. ‘God’s in his heaven—all’s right with the world;’ ” And as George Orwell teeming up with President Eisenhower revealed; that when it comes to the military-industrial complex; war is peace (profit).
To be a Roman Senator you had to be 60 years old and dumping our old chimeras may bring us into that “new creation” (2 Corinthians 5.17).

I always wondered where that phrase ,“axis of evil,” came from. Now I know —from a man named Frum. What a strange name----where did he get that silly idea frum?
I always prefer replacing the word “axis,” with the word “assholes of evil.” There are some very old nations that keep repeating this war stuff----and it’s England, France, Israel and America. They all need to have the fastest ships , then planes, bombs and now drones. At least in science fiction the warriors always seem to come from different planets------- how sad for us as we are just another ,“bleeding wound,” that sadly share the same planet. Even worse— when we look at our own history —we have to ask--------what hath that "amnesia wrought?

1 Like