Home | About | Donate

Amnesty International Chief's Plea to 30,000+ Schools Worldwide: Let the Students Climate Strike!

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/11/amnesty-international-chiefs-plea-30000-schools-worldwide-let-students-climate

1 Like

Where are the teacher’s unions on this?

7 Likes

Hopefully, teachers’ unions the world over are fully supportive on this. If we and our planet are to be saved, it will be by our youth and our women. Greta should be listened to with open hearts and with reverence for her prescient wisdom. Andrea Germanos writes: Journalist and climate activist Naomi Klein applauded Thunberg’s bravery, writing on Twitter: “It takes deep courage to go to Davos and tell the masters-of-the-universe to their faces that they knowingly torched the planet in order [to] get filthy rich” (https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/01/25/right-their-faces-16-year-old-greta-thunberg-tells-davos-elite-climate-crisis-their).

3 Likes

Sharing this article with a high school teacher and his interested students. All generations need to stand in solidarity with our youth, those most impacted who contributed the least to this crisis and all the innocent other Life species. Will be out there both on the 20th and 21st.

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter if they are punished. The Earth will punish us all far worse than a suspension when the ice caps are gone.

Strike anyway. Then strike again, and again, and again. Whatever it takes.

9 Likes

"Let My People Go…" …to the Climate Strike.

2 Likes

YES! The students who will (hopefully) inherit this Earth must become active if they are not, and strike if they are, regardless gaining approval-permission of schools, teachers or “administrators”!

Any young person/student that does not participate in these Climate actions will regret their failure, ignorance, or timidity the rest of their lives!

Who are the schools for anyhow? Who do they ostensibly serve and represent, inform and teach - there is no greater teaching than truth and THIS truth of Climate Change and its extinction-level threats are the greatest truth at this moment in time!!

Conscious youth must either be “allowed” encouraged, to express themselves - to raise their voices OR demonstrate on their own in the face of opposition! Screw the “authorities”, or any person that censors their voices or bringing their bodies to join others of like mind and spirit in demonstration!
Those complicit (or ignorant) to the crime will be the loudest voices against student action, or those in fear for their own failures and position!

STRIKE!

5 Likes

A kindred spirit! Indeed, it is ridiculous to ask for permission. Let’s just do it!

4 Likes

Absolutely Giovanna! This is one of those moments when we must bring our bodies to the streets, regardless - there should be no greater commitment!
very much like the Sept 21, 2014 People’s Climate March in NYC. I was there with many local friends, and the half million others who occupied the avenue as far as the eye could see - in both directions! and damn glad I was - restored (somewhat) by the wonderful crowd and spirit! I will again take the train into NYC and join this action as well, maybe on several days! Keep the faith!

2 Likes

I read an estimate of 1100 ppm one century from now in Smithsonian Magazine. Scientific American says that climate change correlates with less wheat production. So if you’re of a certain age you can eat all the food that you (and your doctor) want you to eat. They are in trouble.

Protect kids.

alanjjohnstone

The Trades Union Congress (TUC) has urged members to support student climate strikers on 20 September. A proposal by the University and College Union (UCU) originally asked the TUC to call for millions of workers to stop work for half an hour, aimed at shifting government complacency over the climate crisis. However, an amendment put forward by the rail union Aslef means the TUC will call for “workday campaign action” instead.

The UCU is urging workers to join the action alongside students at lunchtimes and before and after work, and to ask employers to jointly declare a climate emergency with staff unions and student unions.

2 Likes

Thank you Giovanna!

Well said.

2 Likes

just a minor note: a strike that requires permission isn’t one.

other than that, onward.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve seen a good deal of support from K12 teachers I know, but I’m not sure if the union has taken a stance. At the university, among faculty I know, a distorted sense of ‘professionalism’ seems to keep many from engaging in advocacy and activism.

I don’t know how many times a year I say this, but I’ll say it again…Thank you Amy Goodman

1 Like

Meanwhile Johnson is faithfully following the Trumpnoramus line as usual.

“Johnson said he was sympathetic to the aims of the protest but suggested it should be taking place in China rather than the UK.”

I am a great admirer of Kumi Naidoo, both when he was with Greenpeace and now.

Very timely, this message sent out to schools.

I have just contacted my son’s Senior High school principal and attached this article from Common Dreams.

Amnesty awarded Greta Thuneberg earlier this year - way to go Kumi !!!

7 June 2019, 06:00 UTC

Climate change activist Greta Thunberg and the Fridays for Future movement of school-children have been honoured with Amnesty International’s Ambassador of Conscience Award for 2019, the human rights organization announced today.
Climate activists Greta Thunberg and the Fridays for Future movement honoured with top Amnesty International award

“Young people are often told they are the leaders of tomorrow. I am so glad that Greta Thunberg and the Fridays for Future activists ignored that message. If they wait until tomorrow, there will be no future for any of us. They have proved that they are already leaders, and now it’s time for adults to follow their lead,” said Kumi Naidoo. (from the linked article).

1 Like