Home | About | Donate

'An Absolute Joke': Debate Moderators Condemned for Asking About Ellen and George Bush After Completely Ignoring Climate Crisis

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/10/16/absolute-joke-debate-moderators-condemned-asking-about-ellen-and-george-bush-after

2 Likes

Before it put me to sleep, the ‘debait’ went like this: Cooper to Biden … How is your mother. Biden … She died thirty years ago. Cooper … Sorry to hear about that.

Primarily an ad against Medicare for All on behalf of big health insurance. But I note CD has totally ignored Tulsi’s confrontation regarding the smear of her by NYT and CNN. Why? It is much more important than who Ellen as been consorting with.

9 Likes

Everyone should know who owns the media.

1 Like

First I wrote CNN:

"I saw a poll where 96% of likely Democratic Primary voters considered the climate emergency to be an important or very important issue. Climate change beat out health care for the #1 spot. The wife of CNN founder Ted Turner was arrested this month over the issue.

"We pay our cable company an awful lot of money for internet service and for our phone. Including basic cable in their package would be relatively cheap, but we don’t want cable. We want quality news sites that we find on the internet. I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of co-workers and friends by reciting something dumb that I saw or read on some partisan silo.

“We saw last night’s Democratic Primary debate through cnn.com. I saw zero questions asked by CNN about the climate emergency. That’s why you didn’t exactly change my opinion about CNN being a seriously paid partisan silo, and I’m going to discuss my opinion with other people on social media so that we can approach consensus. Sorry, but you are what you try hard not to say.”

7 Likes

This reminds me of the old observation “If you can get them asking the wrong questions, you don’t have to worry about the answers.”

Tulsi should have followed through on her boycott of this intellectually bankrupt exercise.

It’s not a debate, it is only propaganda and mind bending.

5 Likes

That’s why it’s called, the "Corporate News Network."

7 Likes

A question about Ellen and W Bush…are you kidding me?

Once again the big loser in these debates is the corporate “news” networks. We’ve had four debates now - how many do we need to show that the corporate networks cannot handle hosting effective debates.

Of course the establishment DNC will continue to partner with the corporate networks to bring us these sham debates. But we would be better off if a committee representing a cross-section of Americans planned the debates, determined the questions, and hosted instead. They would be way more informative.

4 Likes

Can we ban CNN from sponsoring ANY kind of debate in the future? The right hates CNN just because Trump says so, but the left should just because they are boring (King, Blitzer and Cooper) and ask fucking stupid “questions”. I ain’t crazy about ANY of so called “news outlets” like the “liberal” MSGOP for instance. What oughta be done is let 3rd graders ask the questions, it would be more honest and informative than this crap.

7 Likes

What else to expect from corporate whore pretty talking-heads. Questions are diversions and bait with little to zero critical info or intent.

We must regain control for political “debates” restoring them to the League of Women Voters, from the theft and political fraud of both parties dictating them to their common goals.

Also the Fourth Estate needs to be reclaimed to honest non-partisan forums. The MSM has been sold to the highest (usual corrupt, slanted/partisan, deceivers and purveyors of Pablum) we depend-on to provide the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but is a pathetic (last night a prime example) joke and big-money deception providing instead of truth, diversions, lies, damn lies, and rubbish to keep us divided, ignorant, and hyper-partisan!

8 Likes

Democrats can’t blame anyone but themselves for this sorry spectacle.

5 Likes

You mean Russia had nothing to do with this?! Nonsense! Russia must have done something here, I just know it! My feelings tell me so! /s

4 Likes

It was how the empire wanted it.

3 Likes

The mainstream media in the USA is NOT objective and is NOT about informing people. It is about control and preserving the status quo (which sucks for most of us) by emphasizing the extraneous at the expense of the significant.

8 Likes

So is Waffling Warren now completely supporting Sanders’s MFA bill? She was not, previously.

2 Likes

Warren staked out her support on M4A pretty clearly. The talking heads, including former OhBummer Adm. first circle members, didn’t move her off her position.
The Union’s" don’t like it and want to keep their hard won healthcare packages " is thin on actual statistics and heavy on heartland hokum. Most union workers aren’t building cars; they’re working in other sectors of a churning and a constantly changing workplace.

1 Like

Peace is not the absence of war but the presence of justice.

Harrison Ford

3 Likes

Right when the admin wants to open Tongass to road building and tree cutting.

Shame upon CNN, Shame for not protecting the planet and us. Shame.

4 Likes

So I would say the BIG news of the day is that the corporate media are looking for another candidate besides Biden . And I would also say it is clear that these establishment candidates do not like Warren . The two candidates they are looking at are mayor Pete and Klobuchar

I like where Harris is questioning Warren why she didn’t agree with her on removing Trump from twitter— Warren was discussing the break-up of tech and other monopolies ----you can see the look on Warren’s face-----no corporate Harris your not going to deflect from this issue---------latter Klobuchar would claim that this was her issue----even though it was Warren who raised it first in the campaign. -----------THIS IS HOW YOU GO AFTER THE POWER STUCTURE.

And do note that Tulsi asked Warren about Syria------and Warrens reply----“I want to get out of the Middle East” And of course the wonderful commentators never followed up --Like give us a quick overview of what your Middle East foreign policy might look like???

And Bernie looked really good.

2 Likes

It is not like CNN is not aware of what they do and that in framing these questions in the way that they do that they will not face backlash. They have had several kicks at the can yet persist in this line of questioning.

What this demonstrates is that they do not care one whit what the voting public thinks, what progressives think or what issues are of genuine importance. They have that arrogance because as they are owned by the 1 percent lock stock and barrel and believe that they are totally in control. They do not fear the backlash one whit any more than Master cared what the Slaves thought of him on the plantation in the old south…

6 Likes

I would suggest that when Bernie is asked if middle class taxes will rise under his MFA plan, he should say that it’s just a switch in who you pay your premium to. And this new insurance company not only will not charge deductibles and co-pays, they won’t deny coverage on some technicality nor send you unexpected bills in the mail.

When Biden claims MFA would cost 14 trillion, Bernie should say yes, that’s 4 trillion cheaper than your plan. Amazing how single payer is so much better in every respect for all but cadillac plans, and yet I find myself cringing during these debates.

3 Likes