Home | About | Donate

An Apology for a Different Plane Crash, 30 Years Later

An Apology for a Different Plane Crash, 30 Years Later

Medea Benjamin

The tragic Ethiopian Airline plane crash recalls another passenger plane crash some 30 years ago. The latter, however, was not due to a mechanical malfunction but to U.S. missiles. And while very few Americans remember this incident, it still weighs heavy on the hearts of many Iranians--as we discovered on our recent trip there.

That was a moving article. A shame we can’t get a, signed by Americans, petition to do the same on a larger scale. A copy for the Iranians, and one for the capital.
Don’t we just love it when cops and soldiers get medals for fucking up?

Thanks, Medea, for reminding us of a reality the US establishment wants us ignorant of.

I had a shared experience with Medea Benjamin. In 2000, she ran as the Green Party candidate for Senate against Dianne Feinstein. NBC was holding a “debate” at their offices between Feinstein and the Republican candidate Tom Campbell. As is so often the case, no other candidate was invited.

So we protested out on the street in front. Then Medea says, “Come on in!” So we troop inside to the foyer chanting “This is what democracy looks like.” Medea’s campaign manager then invaded the “debate”, which was being held in an otherwise empty auditorium. She got arrested for her effrointery. And not a word on the news. This is what American “democracy” looks like.

Benjamin invites herself in where the rest of us fear to tread, but where we ought to be.

Medea Benjamin – a remarkable person, and a hero to me.

Thank you Medea, for your efforts to promote social justice and for highlighting another truth about the recently deceased and lionized war criminal George H. W. Bush.

To add to the insults, two courts in the US have ruled that Iran owes money to the 9/11 survivors for loss of life and on-going illnesses. Iran, of course, had nothing to do with the 9/11 attacks.

The world needs to see a real investigation into the 911 event.

We have no real media that reports anything worthwhile. The local LA tv stations usually have a few local stories and then switch to national news. That is why I watch Dem Now and read as many progressive sites as possible where I find the real news. Oh and listen to KPFK who does some of the best interviewing on record. Beats npr and pbs in the quality and length of their interviews.

And to me as well. The Vincennes attack was, by any definition an act of Terrorism and a
War Crime.

And while we’re at it, let’s also have a formal apology from the U.S. Navy (or whoever was responsible) for the downing of TWA flight 800 on Ju­ly 17, 1996: