Home | About | Donate

An Eye for an Eye Makes the Whole World Blind

An Eye for an Eye Makes the Whole World Blind

Rev. John Dear

Millions of Americans believe that war doesn’t work, that war cannot end terrorism because war is terrorism, and that U.S. war-making is breeding a new generation of terrorists around the world. Millions also want the senseless killing to stop and they realize we must begin with ending our own military’s killing sprees. Americans want a new nonviolent response to the violence in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and Yemen. We don’t want to keep on inspiring millions of oppressed people to join ISIS or Al Qaeda.

Excellent article Mr. Dear.

" Americans want a new nonviolent response to the violence in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Yemen. We don't want to keep on inspiring millions of oppressed people to join ISIS or Al Qaeda."

True, Mr. Dear, but unfortunately, WE DO NOT COUNT! We live in a military dictatorship posing as a democracy. The American military exists mainly to protect the fascist, Amerikan Empire and it is really the muscle and the hit men for the world wide oligarchical, vested interests and has gotten away with the canard of patriotism, when it is guilty of murdering millions of oppressed people around the world for nefarious purposes.

Thank you, John Dear for your moral courage and clarity. And thank you for refuting the ultimate propagandistic lie that insists that all or most Americans, confined to the uniform WE characterization, want these horrific wars.

Your WE speaks for me... and yes, many millions of others!

"Millions of Americans believe that war doesn’t work, that war cannot end terrorism because war is terrorism, and that U.S. war-making is breeding a new generation of terrorists around the world. Millions also want the senseless killing to stop and they realize we must begin with ending our own military’s killing sprees. Americans want a new nonviolent response to the violence in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and Yemen. We don’t want to keep on inspiring millions of oppressed people to join ISIS or Al Qaeda. We want to stop the killing, make reparations, and start healing our world."

Thank you for giving US a voice!

I think that part of the constant propaganda campaign is that of insisting that WE all do want war. How many regulars on this site stick with that Talking Point while others attribute the grotesque levels of violence--that can be traced to a particular well-funded and heavily propagandized institution--to "human nature"?

It's time to say that this pro-war narrative does not speak for all. And state one's dissent from the false consensus.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Don't know how I missed this article, earlier, but please do continue to speak words I have so longed to hear, Reverend. Speak them loud and speak them often. My heart and my prayers are with you.

Thank you, John, for this fine essay.

This is another beautiful and noble lesson in promoting a world of peace and justice, and it is an exhortation that inspires.

Your work and life are appreciated.

Best wishes.