Home | About | Donate

An Eyewitness to the Horrors of the US 'Forever Wars' Speaks Out

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/01/04/eyewitness-horrors-us-forever-wars-speaks-out

3 Likes

Kathy, thank you for all that you do and for sharing your experiences with us. Every time I read one of your articles more scales fall from my eyes.

3 Likes

seemingly no one could stop the U.S. from punishing them to death

How grounding, how human, how real… to hear accounts of the victims of USAmerica’s boundless, endless cruelty. Why aren’t there more humble truth-tellers like Kathy Kelly bringing us back, gently urging the moral necessity of finally, finally taking a look at the carnage we’ve wrought on innocents? I’ll answer my own question: because it takes atypical quantities of courage and luck (staying alive) to write what Kathy Kelly writes.

It takes no evidence at all to convince nearly everyone that the Iranian general USA just assassinated was a terrible person. It takes infinite evidence for USAmericans to see their own culpability. Most of USA’s slaying victims are simply ignored (over here, remembered over there). If we can’t shake that certainty of USAmerican virtue and Arab/Iranian vice, our national path leads straight to Hell – more quickly, now.

1 Like

As I up vote every comment above this one, I’m reminded that the stories MS. Kelly shares with us here, are the horrors of war that have been hidden by the government and their “reporter embedment” program, and continued push-back on the few war correspondents who tried to engage in fair, uncontrolled reporting in these war zones. Thank you to all who have tried.

2 Likes

I wish I had a tenth of the courage and commitment Kathy Kelly and her colleagues have.

I agree with you all thus far in these comments. Kathy came to speak at our peace group’s annual dinner a few years ago. She is living her humanity and sharing it with all who read her descriptions of being in the middle of the U.S. (and others’) war machine and its effects. Her Afghan projects involve and benefit street kids and their families, and she and her volunteers represent the real diplomacy and friendship and empathy so lacking in our foreign relations. Thank you Kathy, and Voices for Creative Non-violence, Afghan Peace Volunteers. A great organization to support.

1 Like

The human cost alone is never given consideration before launching into another stupid, pointless war. Than add the material costs, the animals that are collaterally killed, the environments destroyed, etc, and we have mini-Armageddons everywhere the US govt decides to set up shop and make money for the capitalists. They are the only ever winners of wars, hence the endless nightmares of today. It’s really about capital, forget about all the rest, capital. Capitalism must end to survive.

1 Like

No doubt the Pentagon has a very precise idea of the carbon footprint of each day’s military actions. But this is the most tightly guarded secret. USA built special conditions into the charter of the IPCC, to prevent them from ever estimating military carbon emissions. In a democracy, they would let us know. It’s supposed to be our military.

I think most of us do have this courage… it is just whether we chose to use it or let the fear shut us down.

Courage doesn’t mean not having fear, courage (in this case) is the ability to focus on humanity and our natural empathy for others above and beyond the fear. Both exist (courage and fear) in all of us.

Reminds me of a story I have always liked:

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life:

“A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.

“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil–he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.”

He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you–and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

2 Likes

That’s at least the fifth time that story has been shared here. But it’s always nice.

1 Like

I know, but I am old enough to blame it on age. :wink:

1 Like

Oh, I thought you were a cherokee.

1 Like

No, but Cheyenne or possibly Ute GGGgrandmother. My family moved west VERY early and were for the most part friendly with the locals, even fighting with them against the US occupation. She was listed as “Mexican Indian” in the documents of the time.

1 Like

Love all the above comments and nothing to add except Kathy Kelly: YOU ARE AN ANGEL PEACE!

1 Like