Home | About | Donate

An Open Letter to Boeing Executives: Passengers First, Ground the 737 MAX 8 Now!

An Open Letter to Boeing Executives: Passengers First, Ground the 737 MAX 8 Now!

Ralph Nader

I called Boeing’s office in Washington, D.C. about the new Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia, with over 300 fatalities, to give them some advice. They were too busy to call back, so I’m conveying some measures they should take fast in this open letter.

Dear Boeing Executives:

4 Likes

Always a comforting thought when you board an airplane:
Every part was supplied by the lowest bidder.

Ralph - you are so “Pre-Reagan.” Don’t you realize that now days - after 35+ years of neo-liberalism -science and truth don’t matter in the U.S. anymore. Anyway, the loss of life in one of these crashes has been factored in by the actuaries and it is worth the risk if we make more profits. We can write off the costs of those who die. Ralph - this is a new era in America - not the 60s and 70s when there was some integrity and hope. Now days its all about celebrity and entertainment. Your intelligent discourse and insight just isn’t cool - doesn’t have a place. Oh, and can’t you tweet instead of sending a letter?

3 Likes

Ralph Nader is right as always. I wonder if he’ll talk about this topic on his next weekly radio show. I really can’t recommend this show highly enough. It’s an hour of thoughtful discussion with guest experts. Last week was Dahr Jamail on climate crisis, and the week before he interviewed Noam Chomsky.

It’s also on YouTube.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Next week (March 16 show) topic is scheduled to be whistle blowers, no doubt inspired by Chelsea Manning. (Unless the show is delayed for Ralph’s family tragedy.)

1 Like

Aw, so horrible. I read the transcript at your link. A snip:

“There were many aid workers, people working in food, drinking water, environment, helping people in need. And it’s a tragedy for all those people in the future who will not be saved by her good work.”

And in the interview he talks about these new commercial planes using artificial intelligence, to the point they were marketed to airlines as not having to train their pilots. Insane.

1 Like

Common Dreams added an update to their news piece that Trump just grounded the planes.

1 Like

As of this afternoon, Ralph’s message got through to even the President and the entire fleet of this plane was grounded. Good job Ralph!

2 Likes

Fuck waiting for the next horror

Prosecute all culpable NOW

1 Like

The 737 is a superb and long-lived airframe. The AI engineers got out in front of their pseudo-science in an effort to fix what wasn’t broken, and then the company failed to train or even adequately warn the pilots about what had been done.

1 Like

Sounds like what happened when Microsoft updated my PC to Windows 10 without my knowledge, except when my PC crashes, no one dies.

1 Like

Ralph, you’ve still got it; and you remain one of my most admired people.

Thank you for always saying what must be said.

2 Likes

If enough passengers simply refuse to fly on these planes, and if enough flight crews refuse to board them, they will be effectively grounded.