The Honorable Jeff Sessions
Attorney General
U.S. Department of Justice
Robert F. Kennedy Building
950 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20530

Re: Corporate Crime Database and Annual Report

Dear Attorney General Sessions:

The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) has been clear about the dangers posed by corporate crime.

Good luck with this one Ralph! Excellent ideas…as if Sessions will even take your great plan seriously!

This article should be re-written with actual examples of corporate crimes. We live with a “Predator State” (James Galbraith’s book title), the government is the host with innumerable parasites that use government as their profit stream. First, private money for election campaigns should be prohibited, that’s called bribery, a crime. I just searched the web for an article on the prosecution of financial CEOs following the financial meltdown, and Glenn Greenwald’s article at the Guardian came up first, he says, “As (Senator) Kaufman and his staffers make clear, Obama officials were plainly uninterested in pursuing criminal accountability for Wall Street. One former staffer to both Biden and Kaufman, Jeff Connaughton, wrote a book in 2011 - “The Payoff: Why Wall Street Always Wins” - devoted to alerting the nation that the Obama DOJ refused even to try to find criminal culprits on Wall Street. In the book, this career-Democratic-aide-turned-whistleblower details how the levers of Washington power are used to shield and protect high-level Wall Street executives, many of whom have close ties to the leaders of both parties and themselves are former high-level government officials. This is a system, he makes clear, that is constituted to ensure that those executives never face real accountability even for their most egregious and destructive crimes.” Knowingly selling junk mortgages as secure mortgages – a crime. And the fact that $60 billion in Medicare fraud happens yearly? Isn’t Medicare’s total budget just – $672 billion in 2016 says cms.gov.

Twenty years ago I took a graduate course in Business and Law. Even THEN the admittedly right-wing professor acknowledged an unabashed white-collar crime wave since the late 60’s.

I have nothing but respect for all of the work that Ralph Nader does, but to issue an appeal to a corporate criminal functionary like Sessions is pretty weird. It’s sort of like appealing to a consigniorli to sue his godfather.

As if, Sessions will even open the letter at all.

I think it was more like a “tongue in cheek” thing. It’s obvious that Sessions and most of the GOP are aware of their criminality. The letter was just a: Ha! Gotcha! Or: “We see you!”

With all due respect to Nader, I wonder (his commendable, effective advocacy for seatbelts aside) about his role or effect in this situation (and others). He’s been tilting at windmills for decades; what satisfaction does he get from doing so?