Home | About | Donate

Analysis Finds US Corporate Media 'Failing to Connect Climate Crisis to Strongest Atlantic Storm Ever to Hit Land'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/04/analysis-finds-us-corporate-media-failing-connect-climate-crisis-strongest-atlantic

2 Likes

The across the board refusal of the corporate media to discuss or even so much as mention climate change or warming is a national disgrace. Our media is full of overpaid pundits and infotainment but they have shamelessly stopped doing the real job of reporting what is truly important in the country and the world. I found out years ago that a large percentage of journalism students end up working in public relations. What a surprise! Meanwhile, we are subjected to the right-wing sewage of Fox “News”, Sinclair Broadcasting and Trumpo the Klown’s new fave, “One America News”. Its all garbage.

10 Likes

We will just have to leave it to the Greta Thunberg’s of this world to draw attention to the situation. I wonder how much coverage she gets in the media cited in this article.

2 Likes

“I’ve never heard of a category 5 before…”

6 Likes

This is exactly right. I watch ABC News with David Muir from time to time and I have never once heard a mention of climate change when discussing the newest hurricane or extreme climate event. It’s cowardice, it promotes ignorance, but it is also sadly comical. To anyone with even passing understanding of the link between climate change and storms of greater severity, this makes them look ridiculous, like an echo chamber for Trump. Next week, we’ll be on to the next horrific storm with no dots being connected. Another moment of ain’t-it-terrible weather spectacle.

6 Likes

Some people in PR work for non-profit, do-gooder organizations. The creative agency I work for often does. That’s my way of saying, be careful about broad brush paint jobs.

Also, to all: The Weather Channel repeatedly called out the unusual and clearly global heating-related nature of this and other storms, especially over the last ten years. Kudos to them.

3 Likes

The Democratic National Committee decided last week to NOT allow their candidates to make climate change a top issue. One can only imagine what that is all about.
I guess they don’t want to scare people but fear often nudges appropriate responses to a crisis. Better to be scared and get prepared than get wiped out.

3 Likes

It hardly even matters anymore, the M$M has made itself such a laughingstock, exactly like Pravda (“There’s no isvetsia in Pravda, and no pravda in Isvetsia” they say). There may be a few wandering innocents out there who have yet to get a clue, but the Climate Catastrophe is smashing through the headlines every week with some astonishing, novel disaster. The people not listening to Mama at this point have to hold their hands to their ears and sing “La La La! Not listening!”

There’s no way to break through to the La La La person, who already knows what you’re trying to tell them, obvi. After all, Everybody Knows (Cohen is low enough I haven’t lost that range yet.)

5 Likes

The DNC won’t let their candidates makeclimate change a priority issue either.

3 Likes

I’ve started getting most of my news from Frace24. Not only do they seem to be a very non-partisan fact base journalistic organisation, but it’s not all Trump Trump Trump all day long. There are so many other events going on aside from the knuckle-dragger-in-chief. They have extensive coverage of world events and even an indepth segment on news from the African continent. You can youtube live-feed news of France24 anytime and in numerous languages. I don’t even trust CNN anymore.

1 Like

Well, I’d like to see the possible statistics on how many PR people work for non-profits. I’d bet it is quite small. Yes, I appreciate the Weather Channel talking about global warming effects but, again, I would bet that the great majority of people do not get their perspective on global warming from them. I remember reading that in the last two years of the Bush Regime the percentage of Americans who believed in global warming actually dropped, despite increased scientific evidence that it was real and accelerating. Right-wing group think is still alive and well in the U.S.

Forget the MSM and any crumbs of time they might devote to covering climate change.

At this point, we need a full-time global warming channel.

3 Likes

I was thinking this is the place. It’s not all that bustling here in the Commons, but there’s plenty of room in here for the 5 or 6 dozen folks who notice the Climate Catastrophe.

Perhaps if we ever track down all the high-society pedophiles on Jeff Epstein’s list, they could be sentenced to mandatory viewing (I’m thinking of those Clockwork Orange eyelash-toothpicks) of The Global Warming Channel – no less than 17 hrs/day.

Shit. We’re all stuck watching that full-time channel. Ain’t no other.

1 Like

To ignore the connection means nothing has to be done as it is not a problem until recognized as such. Then the action that has to be taken that will demand radical lifestyle changes including by not limited to social, political and economic. Our current system is the cause of climate change.

3 Likes

Media cowardice is a strange label for premeditated corporate propaganda paid for by the brainwashed.

4 Likes

Folks,

Take the Pledge, “If I cannot go Cold Turkey, I will watch less corporate media every day until I beat the addiction.”

Must See TV, in its truest form.

1 Like

First off: a real honest, intense, deep reporting on WAR.
example: a few years ago, CBS withdrew from all mideast reporting.
How the heck are we ever know what is going on over there without reporters performing ‘management by wandering’.
Hong Kong protests have more TV time than our own soldiers.
That is the way the U.S. dept of war wants it.
That is how they wasted 7 trillion dollars, lives and ran up a tab for an additional 1 trillion for VA disability pensions, medical, etc.

Democrats going to have a town hall or debate on WAR?

5 Likes

Stop acting like the media is anything but a corporate propaganda mill. “The media” is not a news organization. The media is a corporate mouthpiece. Nothing. More. Of course they will say as little as possible about the looming catastrophe. They don’t care. They can buy their way out of whatever “bad weather” is coming. The real world is not their concern. The real world is for poor people. Stop acting like corporate news is about information. It’s not. It’s about propaganda. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Why should they, they’re private and under control of those with vested interest. The oil business, fracking, automobiles manufacturers chemicals etc. They are all fully vested in dirty energy. We the people must blockade entrances to all corporate media outlets and hang huge banners in every town to educate the dumbed downed people of America. Radical measures are needed now since the elites in power will not change their ways until it’s too late or never.

2 Likes