Home | About | Donate

Analysis: More Than 100 Cities Now Mostly Powered by Renewable Energy

Analysis: More Than 100 Cities Now Mostly Powered by Renewable Energy

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

More than 100 cities across the globe are now mostly powered by renewable energy, a number that has more than doubled over the past three years, according to a review of environmental data collected from entities worldwide.

I think this can get confusing. When they say cities are responsible for 70% of carbon dioxide emissions they really mean metropolitan areas. At least in the US this generally means a lot of smaller suburban towns where a large percentage of the emissions comes from transportation. And also heating in both cities and suburbs mainly depends on burning fossil fuels. Even with all the concerns about fossil fuels about 80% of energy comes from fossil fuels both in the US and globally. There is still a long way to go and time is running out to stay below 2C and even to stay below 3C seems to be extremely challenging at this point. A worst case scenario of around 6-7C this century still seems like a possibility when positive feedbacks such a release of methane from thawing permafrost are taken into consideration.

I assume that it is just talking about the city’s electrical energy. I’m surprised that Montreal and Quebec are on at least the 70% renewable.

Also, “renewable” and “no CO2 emissions” are two different things. Toronto’s electric supply is virtually 100 percent zero-CO2 - but nuclear power (using CANDU reactors which burn plain unenriched uranium) is the biggest percentage of the mix - the other part being large-scale hydropower from Quebec and Niagara Falls.

I think Seattle gets most of its electricity from hydro. My guess is that the majority of the cities on the list get a large percentage of electricity from hyrdo, particularly in South America where is seems many of these cities are located. In Iceland you have geothermal. Asia has no cities on the list and that continent is the largest source of carbon dioxide emissions. The bottom line is carbon dioxide apparently went up 2% globally so the world is still headed in the wrong direction.

More than 100 cities across the globe are now mostly powered by renewable energy

But that’s not what your source states. It says that these cities get more than 50% of their electricity from renewable sources. They are all still burning gas, petrol and diesel.