Home | About | Donate

And Now This Message From Some Very Rich People: 'Please Raise Our Taxes'

And Now This Message From Some Very Rich People: 'Please Raise Our Taxes'

Julia Conley, staff writer

Imploring New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo to allow them to contribute to the state's future in a way that benefits all New Yorkers, four dozen millionaires are demanding that lawmakers pass a "Multi-Millionaires Tax" to raise billions of dollars for education, infrastructure, and other programs for the greater good.

That’s the point! Raise their damn taxes already and put it back into Our pockets where the $$$ belongs. Want a strong Economy? Do it!

4 Likes

It is on the citizens of Ny to make sure that their elected government “representatives” take the steps to raise taxes on the wealthy.

Can anyone here imagine what it would be like to have millions at their disposal ? I can’t even fathom what it would be like to have hundreds of thousands!

2 Likes

This group is in the minority. Most of them do not want to pay taxes?

If they were sincere they would not just talk about it. They would be using their money to help main street. They do not need anyone’s permission.

2 Likes

You do have a point but because this small group has been vocal their message should be broadcasted far and wide and used to pressure the “government”

2 Likes

They have been doing it ever since the financial crash- if they want to pay more in taxes- just do it- and stop thinking they are being blocked.

The members of this group make-up a small fraction of the extremely wealthy in NY, I’m sure they know they can pay more themselves, they want all of the wealthy to pay more. I applaud them for bringing this up over and over again.

7 Likes

You are correct, of course. However, I’d rather see elected representatives decide where the money should go. Bill and Melinda Gates’ and Walton family philanthrope often goes to the wrong places, Charter schools for example.
And, the obvious argument is also true, our elected representative are doing a horrible job lately of supporting our best interests.

4 Likes

Yes raise taxes but that is meaningless unless we also outlaw all the different ways they are sucking the life blood out of the real economy and the people.

3 Likes

I do too- but if they are just "talking " about it then this is just to make themselves feel “better”

They like charter schools because they are phony scams for investors- rich ones at that.

The intent though, I think, is to do big things with hundreds of millions of dollars. Like shore up one or more of the safety net components, or tackle infrastructure investment etc.

This group is saying "tax the rich’ en masse, not just themselves. It’s a policy issue, not some option.

5 Likes

“When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are…” Well it does make a difference that it’s Abigail DISNEY! So, I wish for New York, that other millionaires too figure out that when living standards are raised—everyone profits—from the poor to the Zillionaires. Thank You Abigail Disney—you are a star and I’m wishing that others follow your sparkling ideas. : )

4 Likes

"Not notice the difference."

How many here at Common Dreams can honestly say, at anytime in their entire working career and after, that they would never notice additional thousands of dollars gone at tax time?

1 Like

Feeling a little stingy today? At least they are honest about what it takes to have a civil society.

1 Like

Yup, I know. Re- instate the 70 percent or higher craves they used to pay… they will get used to it!

1 Like

They paid 70 percent or more before and will get used to it. Why should they pay nothing when we carry the burden? Like I said in my post … just do it… it won’t hurt them one bit, but it’s killing us!

3 Likes

That is true. They hate playing by some of the rules that they must, but for the most part, they will. And so it is normal for them to pay a lawful tax without a fight, but their DNA won’t let them give it away. That kindness is reserved for church folks and the like. imo