Home | About | Donate

And the Winners (in America’s Wars) Are…

And the Winners (in America’s Wars) Are…

Tom Engelhardt

When it comes to America’s wars, more than 16 years later our generals are victorious. Not, of course, in the distant lands where those conflicts grind on unendingly, but in the one place that matters: Washington, D.C. Could there be a more striking sign of that than the elevation of three of those generals to key positions in the Trump administration?

This article just corroboration of what most progressives already know: THE WAR PROFITEERS NEVER LOSE A WAR!

I bet 3rd parties are looking a lot better to many of you after reading this article.

I watched some sort of town hall meeting where a rather large crowd were invited to speak up before political candidates of all parties and ask questions of them. One person stood up from the crowd and said “Hi my name is XXX and I am an Iraqi war veteran” and the entire audience broke into cheers and applause even as each and every candidate did.

This is very unhealthy for any democracy and demonstrates how they people have been brainwashed every bit as much as the media likes to claim the people in North Korea are brainwashed.

The war profiteers were every bit involved in this process as they understood many decades ago that if you could condition the people to the point that they would never speak ill of the Military, those profits would keep coming in.

There was a reason why all those movies made about Vietnam war veterans coming home to be marginalized, abused or forgotten and these same movies funded in part by the Pentagon. It was not out of concern for these people as individuals. It was to make the population few shame for ever questioning the Military or those that serve in it.

And then there was the Oliver Stone movie “Born On The 4th Of July” released in 1989 about Vietnam Veteran Ron Kovic played by Tom Cruise, who portrays a Marine who enlists in the mid 60’s to fulfill what he sees as his patriotic duty, and during his second tour he accidentally kills a fellow soldier during a retreat and later becomes permanently paralyzed in battle.

Returning home to an uncaring Veterans Administration bureaucracy and to people on both sides of the political divide who don’t understand what he went through, Kovic becomes an impassioned critic of the war.

That was the reality I witnessed, and I grew up in a suburb of Baltimore that had previously been all farm land, with a population more Republican than Democrat.

And then to tie your point to the OP’s point, Kovic has stated that growing up watching war movies coupled with his own father’s service in World War Two was an early inspiration to join the military. He was hardly alone–how many generations cheered John Wayne winning the war single-handedly?

The House Un-American Activities Committee investigated the film industry in the 1940s and 1950s to find evidence of communistic ideas and propaganda being worked into movies to influence public opinion and shape attitudes and beliefs. HUAC was right in that movies can certainly be influential in shaping perceptions–only they didn’t target war movies or Westerns or other genres that reinforced American Exceptionalism. All a matter of which ideology is acceptable to transmit.

http://www.4thmedia.org/2017/03/the-cias-60-year-history-of-fake-news/
I got lots more where this came from…!

I see that link has been disabled…why am I not surprised? Try this one isntead…

My father managed to dodge the WWII calls to battle with high arches. He taught me to read history and that no war is necessary. And he had many books on China, liked Mao. He was a staunch Republican who could think outside the box.

Ye gods, I hope so!
;-})