Home | About | Donate

'Animal Fur Is Obsolete'; Lawmakers Push Bills to Ban Sale of Animal Fur in California, Hawaii, and New York City

'Animal Fur Is Obsolete'; Lawmakers Push Bills to Ban Sale of Animal Fur in California, Hawaii, and New York City

1 Like

I live near many small family farms who preserve peripheral woodlands as part of healthy ecosystem management. The healthy ecosystem depends on a healthy predator population to control rodents, rabbits, deer and other species that easily overrun farms and forests when predators are trapped for their fur.

2 Likes

This is probably a bad idea.

Humans use clothing, and ought to do so in some balance with an environment that naturally includes herbivores and carnivores and omnivores. No one can reasonably argue that fur is always a sustainably created product, but it can be. Synthetic fibers made of hydrocarbon polymers–nylon, rayon, “microfiber fleece,” and what-have-you at least generally cannot.

As in so many things, we are left with a decision between using products derived from living things–that is, by raising living beings in various ways and using them–or using synthetics that poison and destroy the habitat of living beings, ourselves included.

There are certainly plenty of abusive and destructive practices that manage to do both and that should be stopped, either immediately or by some process of transition. But the only ways that human existence can become ecologically sustainable and regenerative involve almost complete reliance on products and energy from living systems, simple because these are renewable, given proper management, and others mostly are not.

Couldn’t we sacrifice enough skunks to have a coat made for trump?

1 Like

More like: “Animal Fur is Obsolete” in Florida and Hawai’i and California. Where it’s still cold, fur is useful. Maybe in another couple of years the world will warm and we can all be Florida.

Why isn’t this article dealing with the use of leather in belts and shoes and motorcycle chaps? I’ll bet if the ban on fur was tied to a ban on Jimmy Choo leather shoes, LA would allow the fur.